Cheap track car for noobie

Caporegime
A cheaper alternative to track days is Sprints & Hillclimbs. 90% of the prep and gear needed is the same as it world be for track days except you get some actual competition. "Track time" is a lot lower than a track day but then so is the cost.

And generally speaking if you screw up you're just bending your own car and maybe an earth bank or a bit of Armco, not someone else's PAJ.

Soldato
Holy brown stuff.

How is that do-able as a hobby for anyone not earning enough money that it doesn't matter what you spend it on. There is just no opportunity to get into anything fun anymore.

Actually going on a track day is the cheap part, it's all the "necessary" modding to the car that really empties your wallet!

I bought a dedicated track car as I didn't want to keep using my road car due to it being worth a fair amount and weighing quite a bit so it went through tures/brakes/fuel at a much higher rate. But it turns out I've spent a **** load on the track car now :D

Man of Honour
If you go for the smaller circuits it is cheaper. Blyton Park & Cadwell are less than 200 and sometimes even less than 150. Factor in £80 in fuel and D.I.Y oil change and that's around the £250 mark for one day. When you think some people can quite easily blow £100-150 on a night out it doesn't seem too bad. Especially when you are getting a decent 6-7 hours.

Holy brown stuff.

How is that do-able as a hobby for anyone not earning enough money that it doesn't matter what you spend it on. There is just no opportunity to get into anything fun anymore.

Bedford and Mallory Park are usually sub £200 track days too.

Plenty of cheaper options for track time though. If it's your thing Drift What You've Brung is £80 for a day plus £50-100 in tyres and fuel, Run what you've brung (Admittedly straight line only but still fun) is £35 for a day, then you've got sprints or things like Curborough that we arrange on the forum a couple of times a year

Man of Honour
OP
All my local ones such as cadwell park, donnington and outlon park are in the £200-300 bracket tbh it would be them
3 id be wanting to do as wouldn't fancy driving for 3-4 hours in a track car

Soldato
A cheaper alternative to track days is Sprints & Hillclimbs. 90% of the prep and gear needed is the same as it world be for track days except you get some actual competition. "Track time" is a lot lower than a track day but then so is the cost.

Sprinting can be done very cheaply. We've got guys in the Toyota series who've bought a cheap Starlet, Yaris or Aygo (In some cases for as little as a couple of hundred quid) and done barely anything to them. Wear and tear/running costs on the car are minimal and the main costs are basically your entry fee and the cost of a weekend away (most competitors stay in a Premier Inn or similar the night before the event and have a bit of a social but some camp to make things even cheaper). TSS currently have a promotion for half price entry for your first event as well. (Standard entry is either £139 or £159 depending on the venue)

Man of Honour
OP
Hi guys, I still haven't bought a car but got my heart set on an E36 main reason is RWD and I can insure one for £200 for year (driving it back and forth to track days only)

I wanted a 328I but most are bombs are stupid money so 323i it is

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-BMW-E3...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I would get it on some cheapo £200 coil overs
Yellow stuff pads
Change all fluids
Tyres
Gut interior
Swap viscous fan for electric and make sure it's on metal water pump

Can anyone help me with tyres, I don't fancy paying £180 per tyres for Toyo T888's

Any cheaper alternatives for tyres?

Would an open diff still ok on track?

Remember its a beginners car, and ideally I want to spend around £1000 on a car and £1000 tops getting it ready

Soldato
Hi guys, I still haven't bought a car but got my heart set on an E36 main reason is RWD and I can insure one for £200 for year (driving it back and forth to track days only)

I wanted a 328I but most are bombs are stupid money so 323i it is

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-BMW-E36-323i-3-Series-Coupe/222553000176?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I would get it on some cheapo £200 coil overs
Yellow stuff pads
Change all fluids
Tyres
Gut interior
Swap viscous fan for electric and make sure it's on metal water pump

Can anyone help me with tyres, I don't fancy paying £180 per tyres for Toyo T888's

Any cheaper alternatives for tyres?

Would an open diff still ok on track?

Remember its a beginners car, and ideally I want to spend around £1000 on a car and £1000 tops getting it ready

I can't help but think a 323i is going to be a bit underwhelming on track. It'll be fun for a while until you realise that you have very little tuning potential, and you can't overtake much on the straights. Something like a Clio 172/182 would be much better IMO. I know you're aiming for a beginners car, but the costs do mount up when prepping a track car and it'd be silly to spend £thousands prepping a 323i then quickly realising you wanted something a bit quicker, and having to spend £thousands more on a new car.

Noooo - T1R's are crap and are *absolutely* not comparable to proper track day tyres. Look at some Yokohama AD08R's for good value, excellent performing track orientated tyres. Make contact with a guy called Ben Patey on Facebook - I got some AD08R tyres from him for much less than I could find them anywhere online.

Caporegime
You might be better with the revvy 318is over the 323i or as Gayle says a Clio or EP3 to get you started. Those toyo's are **** - much better to just buy the right tyres first time or you'll end up buying twice.

Caporegime
After looking round for the last month or so at various options, I'm going to get an MX5 in the next few weeks. Probably look to turbocharge it within 12 months.

I was also set on an E36 (or possibly Z3), but the value of even scabby ones these days is unreal. Should never have let my £1500 325i go :(

Soldato
Cheers I guess I could go French
Any thing to watch out for on the engines?
There's a well known issue with (I think) the thingimajiggy that controls the variable valve timing on these, which needs to be replaced approx. every 60k miles if memory serves. It's relatively expensive to have done (I think £250-£300? Others will know for sure) so look for one that's had it done. or buy with getting it done in mind.

Other than that, and apart form the obligatory questionable French electrics, they're fairly robust. As a road car they are fantastic little things to chuck about. I'd expect that on track with some weight reduction and sticky tyres they'd be a right hoot. You can pick them over very cheaply these days, <£1000 I'd expect.

Caporegime
Trailer the car wherever you want to go, then you don't have to worry about it getting you home as you're punishing it on track. Takes a huge stress away doing it this way.
Which means buying a trailer, which means more £££ then you need somewhere to store it and not everyone has the option. I agree if it were practical that's what he should do, but for many it isn't.

Caporegime
If you have space for a car you have space to put the car on the trailer.

Maybe in Florida where every driveway is the size of a strip mall parking lot.

In the UK where space is a premium you can fit a car into a smaller "space" than a trailer.

Also, having your car parked on your driveway looks a lot more appealing than having a trailer parked there all year round.

Caporegime
There's very little between them in a straight line, but personally I'd take the Clio as it's over 100kg lighter (200kg lighter as a 172 Cup), but I agree that the Celica would be a good choice as well.

That is totally irrelevant as a track car will be stripped. Clio interior is made from crisp packets where as the Celica is more robust. Once stripped they will be both similar. Celica has better brakes, better engine and a proper suspension setup.

It is a poor mans DC2 and very cheap to LSD.

Back
Top Bottom