Cheap WoW gaming PC

Associate
Mate, tohrazer was right on the money with your WoW spec... besides, you can simply add an i5 4690k at a later date and turn it into a monstertruck!
Thing is you definitely need SSD for WoW, I have been WoWing since 2004, that's right, for 10 years now, and the ssd is a must for wow, it reduces loading time for portals, teleports, loading characters, and all the terrain and everything from 30 sec to 3.5sec, or from 7 sec to 2 sec, and loads all surrounding instantly, without lag.
2ndly, 270 will handle the job very nicely, don't go 750ti, it doesn't have that good of a performance. it's 50 quid more, but with 256gb you have tons of space for OS,WoW(24.7gb) and 200gb for anything else you might fancy, such as movies, music, and other games. Also windows loading reduced from 1min to ~12sec.
You can get a cooler later on if you wish but this is more future proof.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (11220-00-20G) £113.99
1 x Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5” 7mm SSD + 9.5mm Adapter (CT256MX100SSD1) £82.99
1 x Gigabyte Z97P-D3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £65.99
1 x TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED38GM1600HC11DC01) £61.99
1 x Intel Pentium K Anniversary G3258 Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £52.99
1 x EVGA 500W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (100-B1-0500-KR) £41.99
1 x BitFenix Neos ATX Tower Black/Red £29.99
Total : £459.53 (includes shipping : £8.00).

Soldato
I know loads of mates who run WoW too,and you are not guaranteed decent overclockers with the G3258 - people have got dogs even in the overclocking thread.

Plus the Core i3 4130/4150 will have almost identical performance to the Core i3 4330 in the TH review,and even at 4.5GHZ the G3258 was slightly behind the Core i3.

TH is using the latest expansion too,and with one of the earlier expansions there was scaling upto three threads:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-9.html

None of you are even putting the cost of an aftermarket cooler into the mix,since you are attempting to use the stock cooler. This is all fine and dandy but the chip is going to run much hotter from the get go with the stock cooler when overclocked,and as time progresses it is only going to run hotter as dust gets into the cooler - the stock cooler is pretty bad for this - and running the CPU so hot for years is not good advice IMHO.

Last edited:
Associate
Think we need more info from your friend BuckShott.

Are you/him willing to overclock the cpu? (It's very straight forward), as this would reduce the cost.

Pair the Anniversary Pentium with a 270 and a 350/400W PSu and you have a nice build for a low price.

Soldato
Its not going to reduce cost though - you need a motherboard which can overclock the Pentium dual core plus an aftermarket cooler on top of that(unless you want someone running a CPU for years with minimal cooling). The brother might not be upgrading the CPU for years if they are on a tight budget.There is only a £30 difference between a Core i3 4130 and a G3258.

Plus looking at the TH review you need to get the G3258 at least to around 4.5GHZ reliably to even match a Core i3 in WoW.

Most of the cheaper H series and B series motherboards which can overclock it are not shipping with the latest BIOS,meaning you need to manually upgrade them with another chip(seen people needing to return motherboards due to this unless they have another socket 1155 chip to hand).

The Pentium dual core makes more sense if you can use a cheaper motherboard in the first place.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi, sorry for late reply! Can't say i've ever built a PC from scratch before but i could salvage some parts i guess, the HDD and DVD drive seem fine from his old PC and as for overclocking ive not dabbled into that either just incase i mess it up lol. I do really appreciate all of your replies and the time you took to post some builds, pretty decent prices too! I was just going to tell him to get one of the already built ones from OCUK like the one i listed as he's not very good with the inner workings of pc's lol

Soldato
Soldato
Are the HDD and DVD drive SATA or IDE? If they are IDE, they are unusable :(

If you send a spec to OcUK, they can build it for you for a £60 or so fee I think

Associate
If you're not comfortable building it yourself then a pre-built from OcUk is a good second.

Customer service is excellent and I'm sure you can call and change some things if need be

Associate
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-430-OE&groupid=43&catid=2475 get this one then better than the one you picked and will run wow on medium high in raids no issues and ultra whilst out questing

that's a £550 pc with only a 750Ti under the hood!

im still very confident the £350 spec i made would run wow very well even at stock, it's not like he's trying to get the most out of a 120 Hz monitor, this is a 10 year old game people... i used to run it maxed out no problem in raids on my old core 2 duo with 2gb ram and a 5770, the graphics haven't changed *that much*

Last edited:
Associate
You used to, do you still play it?

I do, im not saying you need a system like mine but you do need a semi descent setup, and with all the tweaks they wil be adding, if you want to play a game on low settings (in raid and then wipe your guild (which im sure they will love you for, because you haven't seen the spell affect/attack your supposed to get out of ) so so bad if hes only doing LFR,

If your buying new then you want a new OMG its great feeling, not lets go play oh wait I have to turn this down and that down.

its his cash in the end, hell pick and choose which advice he wants

Last edited:
Soldato
this is a 10 year old game people... i used to run it maxed out no problem in raids on my old core 2 duo with 2gb ram and a 5770, the graphics haven't changed *that much*

Today you wouldn't be able to run it at medium settings with that setup (as medium today is higher than maxed out then).

Over the years the have been numerous upgrades such as DX11, 64bit, higher res textures, etc. Comparing the original zones (not ones updated in cataclysm) to the newer ones is like comparing two different games. And in the next expansion arriving soon the are loads of new zones with the highest textures yet and all characters are having model/skin updates (apart from the recently introduced races).

Associate
You used to, do you still play it?

I do, im not saying you need a system like mine but you do need a semi descent setup, and with all the tweaks they wil be adding, if you want to play a game on low settings (in raid and then wipe your guild (which im sure they will love you for, because you haven't seen the spell affect/attack your supposed to get out of ) so so bad if hes only doing LFR,

If your buying new then you want a new OMG its great feeling, not lets go play oh wait I have to turn this down and that down.

its his cash in the end, hell pick and choose which advice he wants

considering the world first kills i've racked up i wont be taking raiding lessons from you any time soon im afraid :p

i played the game as recently as mists of pandaria and with my old Clarkedale i3 with a 5850 i still had no problems playing the game maxed at 1080p, yes that includes raids

Last edited:
Soldato
i played the game as recently as mists of pandaria and with my old Clarkedale i3 with a 5850 i still had no problems playing the game maxed at 1080p, yes that includes raids

eb1lt_EK.jpg

No, no you did not, at least not unless your definition of maxed out differers from everyone else. That set up wouldn't even have done 25m Dragon Soul maxed out at 1080p without laggyness.

Associate
No, no you did not, at least not unless your definition of maxed out differers from everyone else. That set up wouldn't even have done 25m Dragon Soul maxed out at 1080p without laggyness.

lol ok, and you have tested this hypothesis how? WoW looks like crap and is old as balls, and now they made is super casual too!

a 5850 with an old i3 can run crysis 3 even at like 20 fps on high

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom