Cheapest rig for cross fired 5870's

Associate
OP
Yeah why not try it, it took me about 45 mins to set it up mining, lots of guides out there, give it a go. I recommend you join a mining pool (removes the variance, gives you steady payouts, look at Slush's pool)

Associate
Yes, it's real, but you might be buying into a greater fools theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

Too early to tell.

Check MtGox.com for market prices, those are live actual prices you can trade BitCoins for USD. It's extremely volatile.

Buying bitcoins is a prime example of Greater Fool Theory- you are buying something with no intrinsic value in the hope that people continue to do so, hence allowing you to sell them on for a greater amount of money.

Producing bitcoins at present seems to be a decent value proposition, but it matches every single descriptor of a market bubble. Make your money before it bursts.

Associate
OP
My 5770 is running today as a test, ~2 hours it's generated 0.03BC which is around $0.60 worth. It's not much but it's definitely more than the electricity.

Associate
OP
Expansion slots:
1x PCI Express x16 slot (PCIEX16)
1x PCI Express x16 slot (PCIEX8)
1x PCI Express x16 slot (PCIEX4)
2x PCI Express x1 slots

That mobo, I don't know too much about HW, is it possible to have more than 2 5870's? Can I have 5 cards in it? Would it work?

Associate
OP
Should that one fit 3 comfortably? I'm thinking buy that mobo and 3, then buy more at as soon as I know if they can fit or not. Thanks for all your help btw :)

Associate
OP
Yeah I can run multiple instances of the generator client on the machine, the client allows you to do this. If it doesn't there are ways as other people have done it with 4 cards apparently.

Ok just speccing it all up now see if I can do it

Soldato
Yes, that 990FX UD5 board will pretty happily fit three dual-slot cards (like the 5870). You would install them in the 1st, 3rd and 5th PCIE slots and they should run at PCIE v2.0 x16, x8, x8 speeds respectively. x8 speed really doesn't bottleneck the 5870 much, this review concludes the performance drop is very small compared to a full x16 speed slot.

That said, with three cards installed in that board, they will be right on top of each other, which will mean that for 24/7 mining you will need to manually crank up the fan speeds to keep the cards cool. If you want to go with a board with more spacing for cards, then you could go for a pentium s1155 cpu and a sandy bridge board like this XL-ATX MSI Big Band Marshall - however - it is quite a bit more expensive.

Associate
OP
mine.png

Look good?

Should perform 1ghash/s

Associate
OP
Yes, that 990FX UD5 board will pretty happily fit three dual-slot cards (like the 5870). You would install them in the 1st, 3rd and 5th PCIE slots and they should run at PCIE v2.0 x16, x8, x8 speeds respectively. x8 speed really doesn't bottleneck the 5870 much, this review concludes the performance drop is very small compared to a full x16 speed slot.

That said, with three cards installed in that board, they will be right on top of each other, which will mean that for 24/7 mining you will need to manually crank up the fan speeds to keep the cards cool. If you want to go with a board with more spacing for cards, then you could go for a pentium s1155 cpu and a sandy bridge board like this XL-ATX MSI Big Band Marshall - however - it is quite a bit more expensive.

Can that board hold 8 double thickness cards? Or probably only 4?

Associate
OP
Nah it's too expensive anyway, sticking to the one you suggested I think. I'm really torn as to if to buy this or not. Need to decide by the end of the day.

I wish 6990's were in stock, part of the reason I want to do this is have a shot at earning the hardware for free, owning 1 or 2 6990's is better than owning 3 5870's which are pretty much useless outside the scope of mining for me. 1 6990 has a lot of utility afterwards (future proof) as well as better resale value.

Back
Top Bottom