• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check my processor/mobo/ram bundle please? Upgrading from 4670k

Associate
Hi, I've decided to upgrade from my old 4670k i5 corsair xms3 1600mhz ram and an old asus mobo cant remember the exact model to a newer generation of processor, about time! Anyway I mainly game, i play a mixture of everything, also stream a bit and will be video editting a bit, I've got around £800 budget I tend to play a lot of newer games and MMOs. I play at 2560x1440 @ 144mhz, I'm looking at getting:

Processor: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-core-i7-7740x-pre-binned-5.2ghz-processor-cp-009-oe.html

Motherboard: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...066-intel-x299-atx-motherboard-mb-55l-gi.html

Ram: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...annel-kit-black-cmk8gx4m2b3600-my-457-cs.html

I do intend on adding another GTX 1080 at a later date so would like the option to SLI but isn't a major factor. I stretch a bit for 16gb ram or maybe better mobo etc, but I generally thought this would handle everything? Thanks!

Soldato
As you stream and video edit, consider Ryzen - this of course depends on what frames your getting at 2.5k res - or if you game professionally, intel is faster in frames, but as its mostly GPU dependant anyway, id rather go 1080SLI with ryzen, you'd still go over 144fps and more CPU cores for flawless streaming - the game can then run unhindered on 4-6 cores, and the GPU, and a couple more cores for streaming - id say a quad core in 2017 is wasted money now.

Of course you will get people saying get intel - but, unless pro gamer, nah mate, the 8c/16t of Ryzen 7 is just to good now - stick some 3466 ram with it, and its in the intel ballpark frames wise - and it will destroy the intel gaming + streaming same time.

Associate
OP
I only do light streaming, nothing major at the moment I doubt it'll ever kick off well it's mainly for fun. I'd generally like to keep to intel but not opposed to switching to a Ryzen, I'm primarily after maximum gaming performance as a streaming thing as a "eh I got the option to if I wish" Sort of deal. Performance wise my processor is showing it's age with the more modern games that are coming out so would ideally love to primarily focus on maximizing performance.

Associate
OP
Wait for the 8700k mate 4 cores is not worth it when you can get 6 for similar money.

Only problem with that is my ram/mobo is failing, and I'm not sure if it's the slots or the ram as I got the mobo 2nd hand (Big mistake really) And don't want to invest in a new mobo and ram as it's wasted cash. If it's only a few weeks wait i may be able to stretch it, but I keep getting ram related crashes on apps, games, web browsers etc. Hence the forced push to upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
As you stream and video edit, consider Ryzen - this of course depends on what frames your getting at 2.5k res - or if you game professionally, intel is faster in frames, but as its mostly GPU dependant anyway, id rather go 1080SLI with ryzen, you'd still go over 144fps and more CPU cores for flawless streaming - the game can then run unhindered on 4-6 cores, and the GPU, and a couple more cores for streaming - id say a quad core in 2017 is wasted money now.

Of course you will get people saying get intel - but, unless pro gamer, nah mate, the 8c/16t of Ryzen 7 is just to good now - stick some 3466 ram with it, and its in the intel ballpark frames wise - and it will destroy the intel gaming + streaming same time.

+1 to this, at the rez your playing, your going to be mostly GPU bound, except in MMO's but Ryzen is more than adequate to keep you going there, MMO's are normally fairly cpu bound, hoping that will change in the future (i primarily only play MMO's and RPG's myself) and theres rumors that Pantheon will be decently multithreaded. The minute you mention Streaming while playing, that 4/8 Intel CPU will not do the job for you, even though its on the X299 platform, you should be looking at 6 / 8 Core as a minimum.

Right now if im you? id hold for a few weeks and see how the 8700K is, thats going to be 6/12 version of the 7700k, so has all the single threaded perf you want for MMO's and has more cores for multi threaded stuff and *should* allow you to stream while you play.

If you have to absolutely buy right this minute? pick up the 1700 or the 1700x if its still on that crazy offer, pick up some good Samsung B Die 3600mhz ram and pick up a decent mobo.

Something like the following

1700X - £290
G-Skill Trident Z 3600mhz C16 - £210
Gigabyte Auros AX370 Gaming K7 - £218
Total £718

Comes in under your budget, lob an Artic Cooler 240mm AIO ontop of that, job done :)

Permabanned
^^^ Agreed 4 cores isn't the way to go especially if you want some longevity and room to do more than just gaming.

Ryzen is even more appealing as you'll be able to upgrade to the next generation should you need to.

Soldato
Also just realised, the stuff you picked is basically a overclocked i7, 8GB of ram and low end X2999 motherboard, which is all decent dont get me wrong, but the stuff i linked gets you double the core count, double the ram amount and a much higher end motherboard while coming in cheap enough to let you bag a decent AIO in the process :)

Associate
OP
I'm considering the Ryzen and possibly another GTX1080, As I say with the streaming I'm not too worried about it, it's mainly joining in on other peoples fun now and then but if waiting will by around the same price it might be best, just not sure how long I can keep milking my current set-up, yesterday I had back to back errors for an hour, eventually managed to get a few hours of gaming before it started again. I mainly play games like WoW, PoE, PubG (Don't really take PUBG into consideration due to optimization) SWTOR, DOOM, some racing sims, RPG's huge variety really mostly online stuff.

If I was to take out streaming as possibility as I'm generally not bothered by it, would Ryzen still be the way to go? Or wait? I'm just fed up of being on failing hardware now I get frustrated sometimes. I wanted something pre-overclocked as I find I'm not the best at it, sometimes had good overclocks more often than not I can't stabilize it that was the reason for going for the 5.2 I7 7740X

Edit: I Should add I do currently have a XSPC Watercooler 2x 240 dual rad.

Associate
OP
I've tested them all, in side by side slots and it always seems to return errors still, I've ran Memtest to try and isolate it over night for a few days on each stick and am always returning errors, one of the slots on the mobo itself wasn't fully functioning but I didn't have a PC at the time and it was working fine for many months, even minus that slot it returns errors, unfortunately I don't have any spare PC components to test the ram itself on as I was robbed and lost everything I had collected.

Soldato
U just noticed you were going for quad core on X299 ?!!?!?!?!

That's even more of a HELL NO - I thought you were going to Z270 - then hell no even more - x299 isn't much better than Ryzen due to the way it now handles the memory controller - your also wasting your money on pre overclocked chips.

I7 on z270 - about meh, ok, ish, only at 5.2ghz

I7 x299 - hahaha no chance - get ryzen.

Even without streaming, x299 is a disaster of a platform, especially at those prices.

Ryzen 100% streaming or not - if you can wait, see what 6 core intel mainstream offerings come out.

Soldato
I'm considering the Ryzen and possibly another GTX1080, As I say with the streaming I'm not too worried about it, it's mainly joining in on other peoples fun now and then but if waiting will by around the same price it might be best, just not sure how long I can keep milking my current set-up, yesterday I had back to back errors for an hour, eventually managed to get a few hours of gaming before it started again. I mainly play games like WoW, PoE, PubG (Don't really take PUBG into consideration due to optimization) SWTOR, DOOM, some racing sims, RPG's huge variety really mostly online stuff.

If I was to take out streaming as possibility as I'm generally not bothered by it, would Ryzen still be the way to go? Or wait? I'm just fed up of being on failing hardware now I get frustrated sometimes. I wanted something pre-overclocked as I find I'm not the best at it, sometimes had good overclocks more often than not I can't stabilize it that was the reason for going for the 5.2 I7 7740X

In that case then just pick up a pre binned 4.9ghz 7700k, 16GB of HyperX 3600mhz Ram, a Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7.

As Combat above says, the x299 platform is weaker due to the architecture when it comes to gaming, you need high speed ram to really get the most out of it, and tbh entry level on any HEDT platform for me is never going to be great.

Associate
OP
U just noticed you were going for quad core on X299 ?!!?!?!?!

That's even more of a HELL NO - I thought you were going to Z270 - then hell no even more - x299 isn't much better than Ryzen due to the way it now handles the memory controller - your also wasting your money on pre overclocked chips.

I7 on z270 - about meh, ok, ish, only at 5.2ghz

I7 x299 - hahaha no chance - get ryzen.

Even without streaming, x299 is a disaster of a platform, especially at those prices.

Ryzen 100% streaming or not - if you can wait, see what 6 core intel mainstream offerings come out.

Oh wow really? It's been years since I've actually upgraded, I went for the newest chip thinking it'd be one of the top, I had no idea the Ryzen was actually "That" good. I Spoke to overclockers and they recommended this set-up and it's been years since I've gotten into upgrading anything other than my GPU I took their advice. Wanted to double check here first.

Soldato
Oh wow really? It's been years since I've actually upgraded, I went for the newest chip thinking it'd be one of the top, I had no idea the Ryzen was actually "That" good.

Its not that its "That Good" its that Mesh architecture like Ryzens Zen architecture scales off memory speeds, and if your going to pay out for a 4c 8t Intel 7740k, you may as well save cash and buy the Ryzen setup, as i said you get double the core count, more ram and a better motherboard for the same price pretty much.

Dont be fooled by high Ghz numbers, those Ryzen chips might only hit 3.9ghz / 4ghz but they are more than capable when it comes to gaming.

Associate
OP
Right so for gaming despite the speed being considerably lower will still yield more FPS? I am noticing my 4670k struggling these days especially with new MMO content being better. I'm after sort of 2-3 years + Worth of longevity not fussed if it's AMD or Intel just what ever yields the best performance, I do know those Ryzens are stubborn for OCing that's why I ask, but I assume it doesn't need it anyway? My WoW performance on my current CPU is dreadful, on around 7-8 settings with view distance at 3 everywhere is pretty crap. That ram and MOBO you linked are certainly considerably better than entry level ones I picked out. As it's a lot of money to me I just want to make sure that I'll be safe for the next few years without worrying I made a poor decision, sorry for the constant questions, been out of the CPU game for quite sometime!

That motherboard having 3x PCIE x16 is a major plus. Would the extra £100 be worth adding to the 1800x?

Last edited:
Soldato
Right so for gaming despite the speed being considerably lower will still yield more FPS? I am noticing my 4670k struggling these days especially with new MMO content being better. I'm after sort of 2-3 years + Worth of longevity not fussed if it's AMD or Intel just what ever yields the best performance, of course the Ryzen handling streaming much better is a major plus, I do know those Ryzens are stubborn for OCing that's why I ask, but I assume it doesn't need it anyway? My WoW performance on my current CPU is dreadful, on around 7-8 settings with view distance at 3 everywhere is pretty crap. That ram and MOBO you linked are certainly considerably better than entry level ones I picked out. As it's a lot of money to me I just want to make sure that I'll be safe for the next few years without worrying I made a poor decision, sorry for the constant questions, been out of the CPU game for quite sometime!

That motherboard having 3x PCIE x16 is a major plus. Would the extra £100 be worth adding to the 1800x?

Plenty of people here will help you overclock that Ryzen chip, they only really go to around 3.9ghz, 4ghz if you get really lucky. But you should be able to hit 3.9ghz with decent cooling on a 1700x. What you are getting is future proofing, while we are only on the start of more games using more cores, it is happening, take BF1 for example, it will happily chug through cores if you have them.

The higher the resolution you go the more you rely on your GPU, obviously your CPU needs to feed it but your becoming more GPU bound as you go up in res.

I wont lie, the 7700k is probably a better chip for single threaded stuff currently, but the fact that MMORPGs generally run ok on most setups means the 7700k is kinda overkill really, the Ryzen chips are equally as good, go seek some benchmark vids on Youtube, this guys running WoW on a 1700X with everything on max bar a couple of settings that notoriously cripple perf, he has a 1080 also and getting 70+ FPS, also have to mention he has gimped ram 2133mhz or something rubbish you will gain a huge boost using 3200+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq8nPT_TlsQ

So yeah Ryzen will keep you happy in MMO's no problems, my brother has a Ryzen 1700 and plays PoE pretty much exclusively, and he raves about how good that chip is, although he came from a 2500k lol, but its still an i5.

HEre is another vidoe of WoW running on an R1700 and a 1060 with 2400mhz ram https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIxDjlhJk-U

Edited to add video of a Ryzen 1600 6c/12t playing POE on a 1080 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAK_3lZlmx0

Im actually really impressed, looking at the core usuage there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom