• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Soldato
There have been a lot of reports coming out that people having melted connectors. Be it both from the cable and gpu. Or from either the gpu or the cable.

I am not sure if anyone here knows who JonnyGuru is but he's a respected PSU expert. JonnyGuru is the PSU as Kingpin is to EVGA Video Cards.
I believe he's working for Corsair's PSU division now. And, apparently these melting connectors were well known.

The worst way to bend the cables is horizontally. Although vertically is can also be bad. Horizontal bends comes when you pull the cable to the gpu from the top down. Or when you vertically mount the GPU.

Here is an example of a vertical mounted video card. With the cables on top of the GPU. Notice that the cables are bending horizontally.

Here is a bend that is vertical. Look at how sharp this bend is. Notice this was done because it was the only way to close the side panel to the case.

This is how the cables look. Bent horizontally.

This is what happened after using them. Still in the same orientation as out of the box.

The above pic is showing how 1 particular cable in the middle looks hotter then the others. Notice the bend.

Here you can see what the temps are like using the adapter. And yes, that's hot.

TO ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A 4090 FOR AT LEAST 1 WEEK:
Check your cable connector and your gpu connector to see if there are any early warning signs of melting. Also check to see any discoloration, issues, etc with the pins themselves. Even though you don't see smoke. Try to smell the connects to confirm. It is almost impossible to use these cables without bending them inside of your case.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's because when you bend them it pulls some of the pins out slightly making a smaller contact point.
The power on such a small contact point causes it to heat up. Should be obvious, but to some people it isn't and now they have damaged power connectors

Associate
It's because when you bend them it pulls some of the pins out slightly making a smaller contact point.
The power on such a small contact point causes it to heat up. Should be obvious, but to some people it isn't and now they have damaged power connectors
if its that obvious you would think it would come with a 90degree bend on it so you can put the cables somewhere, perks of testing all these new parts on open air benches and not real world use inside a case

Soldato
If only there wasn’t a massive 40 series thread where this has been heavily discussed.

Not everyone goes threw hundreds of pages on a thread, so good it has its own thread as this is an important matter that owners of 4090,3090ti and even all 30 series FE models that use this terrible connector and adaptor are aware of. PC fires are a real thing and funny enough I was only advising one user on these very forums recently about PC fires and to be aware of using PSUS that may not be able to safely run the system.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not everyone goes threw hundreds of pages on a thread, so good it has its own thread as this is an important matter that owners of 4090,3090ti and even all 30 series FE models that use this terrible connector and adaptor are aware of. PC fires are a real thing and funny enough I was only advising one user on these very forums recently about PC fires and to be aware of using PSUS that may not be able to safely run the system.

Good point.

The more people who have these cards are aware of potential hazards, the better.

Man of Honour

Definitely deserves a thread of its own.

If this was a Car with a possible fire hazard due to poor quality wiring there would be a huge product recall.

Soldato
You no what’s strange - I’ve never seen anyone with a pc burnt out.

You would think it might happen a lot more with the power consumption of some of these systems.

Not quite a burnout, but I had one of those infamous Hyper PSU's that were prone to blow up, and mine did, taking out the GPU, 2 HDD's, and a soundcard when it expired.

Soldato
If only there wasn’t a massive 40 series thread where this has been heavily discussed.

What an utterly pointless post :rolleyes:

Anyhoo..
My cablemods can't arrive soon enough.
I've got to admit that I did bend my cable quite a bit to get the front of the case on, but as I had to RMA the card and a new one is arriving tomorrow, I won't making that mistake again.

Associate
It's been a while since I last saw a useful comment. I give you five internets for this.

RE: 12VHPWR connectors - Interesting to see that Intel GPUs don't use it in their Arc devices, but they were part of the consortium who developed the spec. As a consumer, building such a fiddly, sensitive, delicate, fragile connector into a GPU that's over £1300+ is such a massive failure of design.

Associate
it was actually amd/nvidia pushing intel for atx 3, while intel asked them to address power spikes onboard (atx trademark is owned by intel). i read that somewhere

thats too small a tolerance for consumer grade equipment.. i am calling curtains on atx 3.0.. we should have a reworked atx 3.1 standard by 2024 (and in enough quantities) as both nvidia/amd believe theyd be breaching 600watts on next gen cards

Last edited:
Associate

This is from PCI-SIG themselves (aka the people who approve the standards)... they found themselves that there's a problem if you bend them without the 35mm clearance themselves

Scott Herkelman, SVP of the AMD GPU group confirmed this on Twitter so the 7000 series won't have this abomination of a connector :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom