• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Check Your 4090's 12vhpwr Connectors To Make Sure They are in Pristine Condition

Soldato
There have been a lot of reports coming out that people having melted connectors. Be it both from the cable and gpu. Or from either the gpu or the cable.

I am not sure if anyone here knows who JonnyGuru is but he's a respected PSU expert. JonnyGuru is the PSU as Kingpin is to EVGA Video Cards.
I believe he's working for Corsair's PSU division now. And, apparently these melting connectors were well known.

The worst way to bend the cables is horizontally. Although vertically is can also be bad. Horizontal bends comes when you pull the cable to the gpu from the top down. Or when you vertically mount the GPU.

Here is an example of a vertical mounted video card. With the cables on top of the GPU. Notice that the cables are bending horizontally.

Here is a bend that is vertical. Look at how sharp this bend is. Notice this was done because it was the only way to close the side panel to the case.

This is how the cables look. Bent horizontally.

This is what happened after using them. Still in the same orientation as out of the box.

The above pic is showing how 1 particular cable in the middle looks hotter then the others. Notice the bend.

Here you can see what the temps are like using the adapter. And yes, that's hot.

TO ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A 4090 FOR AT LEAST 1 WEEK:
Check your cable connector and your gpu connector to see if there are any early warning signs of melting. Also check to see any discoloration, issues, etc with the pins themselves. Even though you don't see smoke. Try to smell the connects to confirm. It is almost impossible to use these cables without bending them inside of your case.

Except 122F isn't that hot and shouldn't cause melting. Previous testing on PCI connectors revealed them being able to handle 200F+ before any damage occurs.

Heat from current passing through the connector is not the problem, the people with melted connectors are highly likely from sparks/fires created by loose pins in the connector.

What is hilarious is how the cable comes pre-bent for the user - so these adaptor cables can be duds right out of the box due to how they were handled and packaged

Last edited:
Associate
The current thinking is that some of the pins are not making a proper connection once its bent wrongly and as such you will have a higher power draw being pulled through the other pins that clearly won't be able to cope with the excess and thus that causes excessive amounts of heat and bingo...melting connectors

Soldato
The current thinking is that some of the pins are not making a proper connection once its bent wrongly and as such you will have a higher power draw being pulled through the other pins that clearly won't be able to cope with the excess and thus that causes excessive amounts of heat and bingo...melting connectors
Nah I think the whole connect was misaligned and forced in incorrectly.

Associate
Nah I think the whole connect was misaligned and forced in incorrectly.

Yeah there's a lot of theories going around but ultimately the same thing happens, poof... I honestly think AMD dodged a bullet on this one and if Nvidia doesn't come up with a viable solution fast if its as widespread as people are saying then its going be a painful mistake for Nvidia because not everyone has room for 35mm of bend in some cases and if they don't do their research then its going to be a toasty time

Last edited:
Associate
I cannot understand what they were thinking. Surely they knew/people informed them bends cause problems but they released a giant card with the connector facing head first into a wall.
I saw that EVGA was the only one that had the connectors at the back of the card, which was a good and a bad thing I guess. Good if you have the space, bad if you don't :D

Soldato
Yeah there's a lot of theories going around but ultimately the same thing happens, poof... I honestly think AMD dodged a bullet on this one and if Nvidia doesn't come up with a viable solution fast if its as widespread as people are saying then its going be a painful mistake for Nvidia because not everyone has room for 35mm of bend in some cases and if they don't do their research then its going to be a toasty time
Doesn't even look like the bend was the problem to me, I think he would struggle with a warranty claim.

Soldato
I do wonder what the actual problem is Slam62...I was just relaying what people have been saying because the problem seems to be happening with mutliple 4090's not just one guys
Yeah I can only comment on those pictures, but they don't make particularly clear as far as I can tell the minimum clearance required above the card for the cable, its almost as if the problem slipped their minds. Nvidia that is.

Last edited:
Associate
Well PCI-SIG said themselves that cables without the bend don't have the problem so maybe Nvidia just needs to either be more blatant with the information about not bending the cable or they need to come up with a replacement cable that people can apply for free that solves that issue like an angled connector or a connector with enough padding so you cannot bend it past the first 35mm. I'm sure the 3rd party manufactures will be quick to jump on a fix if its really widespread mind you

Last edited:
Soldato
In a world where everyone is obsessed with showing off their amazing rigs and have crazy OCD cable management issues it is inevitable that in some cases the connector is bent. Its crazy that the power connector is even there in the first place!
Do nvidia think that case windows dont not exist or something?

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's crazy that there is 1 reported incidence in the wild and people are acting like it's a widespread issue happening to everyone

The world turned into the daily mail for clicks

Last edited:
Associate
Aknor there's actually multiple reports coming in, Nvidia raised concerns with PCI-SIG about it and PCI-SIG even showed with their own testing that it can happen so this isn't just about 1 reported incidence my friend :D

Back
Top Bottom