Chest Freezer tips?

But remember lots of old folk seem to love these things - what goes in them? It is huge. At the moment all I am thinking of is Callipos.

I've just stuck in a load of excess vegetables in our freezer that were all ready at the same time from our veg patch.

Peeled and sliced some Carrots, Peeled and Chopped potatoes for roasties and split the broccoli up into smaller florets/heads.

Quickly blanched and then split into a load of the self seal freezer bags.

(Did parsnips a couple of weeks ago as well)

Last edited:
Place fridge freezer the recommended distances from walls and chip any ice formed on or around the lid seals every time you see it.

Remember that a full freezer is an efficient freezer as there’s less air to cool after every time it’s opened.

Remove the boxes from any frozen foods supplied this way and put the contents in a freezer bag along with the cooking instructions section of the box. No point in wasting space and electricity keeping cardboard boxes frozen.

Place fridge freezer the recommended distances from walls and chip any ice formed on or around the lid seals every time you see it.

Remember that a full freezer is an efficient freezer as there’s less air to cool after every time it’s opened.

Remove the boxes from any frozen foods supplied this way and put the contents in a freezer bag along with the cooking instructions section of the box. No point in wasting space and electricity keeping cardboard boxes frozen.

My chest freezer is great, as I simply dont have space in the kitchen for a full size fridge/freezer unit, so i just have a standard size 'under counter' fridge' and the chest freezer lives in the garage.

It's mostly full of nuggets, sausages, hash browns, potato wedges and ice cream. And some bread.

But how the hell do you stop it iceing up around the lid seal? I thought I must be doing something wrong, or is it simply the case you have to scrape it off on a regular basis?

My chest freezer is great, as I simply dont have space in the kitchen for a full size fridge/freezer unit, so i just have a standard size 'under counter' fridge' and the chest freezer lives in the garage.

It's mostly full of nuggets, sausages, hash browns, potato wedges and ice cream. And some bread.

But how the hell do you stop it iceing up around the lid seal? I thought I must be doing something wrong, or is it simply the case you have to scrape it off on a regular basis?
shouldn't be doing that, is it airtight? Maybe stick a tub of paint on top of it and see if the problem goes away. I've never had to scrape ice off the lid seal (or the lid).

shouldn't be doing that, is it airtight? Maybe stick a tub of paint on top of it and see if the problem goes away. I've never had to scrape ice off the lid seal (or the lid).

Probably not, thinking about it, I'm being dumb.. wen i get ice under the door seals I tend to just chip it of without drying it properly, so of course that bit of dampness it just going to freeze again, so I have the same problem a few days later.

Any excess of fruit that would be good in a crumble.

When we cleared my grandparents house they had a small chest freezer, just with fruit from the garden. My Aunt managed to find someone who was willing to take the fruit and the freezer.

I'm just going to leave this here.

IMG-0555.gif
That,@robfosters is your funniest post in a long time! Bravo. :cool:

Yes true, although I still eat 5 year old freezer burned meat and its never done me any harm.

Freezer burn isn't a problem health wise, it just means it won't be quite as 'nice' as fresh stuff, texture wise.
If your gonna use it to wack into a stew or cury or a slow cooker or something, it really doesn't matter at all.

Last edited:
I put a magnetic whiteboard on my chest freezer to keep a list of what's inside - really helps for choosing something before I go rummaging through the mess of bags and boxes inside.
Can also tell roughly how far down it'll be in the freezer based on how faded the writing is.

Most of my chest freezer's space is taken by vegetables & fruits from the garden, ice cream and tubs containing cooking sauces.

Also if you find the kids get attached to a certain type of chicken dinosaur or potato shape which is only available from one supermarket you can get a months worth to avoid potential meltdowns if they're out of stock on the next trip. Biggest risk there is if the child decides they no longer like dinosaurs and want chicken rockets instead.

Ahhh, the good old days where my parents put down a meal and, if I didnt like it, tough.... You ate it or went hungry. Certainly stopped any nonsense about not eating food that was "the wrong shape"

I would not store TOO much, if you leave meat or anything in there for too long it gets "freezer burn". It's very easy to not touch stuff at the bottom and you just forget and only to find it like 5 years later.

Never had freezer burn on my own food if it has been wrapped correctly :confused:

Oldest thing I found stuck at the bottom was around a year old. Tasted fine though. Only have a small overflow chest freezer in the shed if we bulk buy or bulk cook things so easy to keep on top of.

Back
Top Bottom