Chicken

Soldato
Seeing as you lot were so helpful with my lack of cooking skills last time, I thought I'd tap your resources again.

Trying to eat healthily for a month or two in order to shed a bit of weight (already got the gym bit sorted) and had a really nice chicken salad at a pub for lunch today.

I can knock up a salad without too much trouble, just wondering how one should go about cooking the chicken? I've got a George Foreman which I'm assuming is the healthiest way but can you just cut a fillet into strips and bang it in for 10 mins?

I know this kinda stuff may seem simple to most, but I don't wanna end up with food poisoning from badly cooked meat, and I don't want to ruin it and be left with just a bowl of salad for dinner, cos that would just be annoying.

Any advice appreciated, thanks guys.

Caporegime
Only thing to be sure with when cooking chicken is to make sure that the cooked meat is white with NO trace of pink at all. After cooking, just cut a peice open and make sure its cooked thoroughly.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just eat the breast with the skin off and throw the rest in the bin. In fact don't even buy the rest of the bird, let Sainsburys/other supermarket throw the rest of the bird in the bin since according to them the rest of it isn't worth eating.

Weightlifters favourite:

Grilled chicken breast (Mmmmmm all dry and tasteless)
Boiled rice
Boiled broccoli

Soldato
OP
Hmmm... grilling might be an idea. Just chuck it under the grill whole until it browns?

If I stick with the foreman, should I cut it into strips first or just stick a fillet in?

Soldato
If you cook it in a George Foreman grill a whole chicken breast only takes about 8 minutes (if that, depending on size they can take a few minutes less).

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Careful, you might get bird flu! :eek: :D

Grilled chicken will be in general better for you than fried, from what I gather, go for that.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Jonny69 said:
Just eat the breast with the skin off and throw the rest in the bin. In fact don't even buy the rest of the bird, let Sainsburys/other supermarket throw the rest of the bird in the bin since according to them the rest of it isn't worth eating.

Weightlifters favourite:

Grilled chicken breast (Mmmmmm all dry and tasteless)
Boiled rice
Boiled broccoli

No sure I would listen to him ^^^ about cooking - have you seen his thread?!?

He eats offal :p

Wubs you Jonny! :D :p *hugs*

PS post diet will you have to change your username to 'Not so big Chris?' Or is your name in reference to height? /digs hole - sorry if this is being rude :(

BB x

Soldato
OP
BrightonBelle said:
PS post diet will you have to change your username to 'Not so big Chris?' Or is your name in reference to height? /digs hole - sorry if this is being rude :(

BB x
hehe, not at all BB. I'm 6'5 hence the name and won't be shrinking that way, I hope. I might change my name to 'Big Chris with smaller knockers' though if all goes to plan...

Soldato
Ditch the foreman and grill normally. I found mine left everything tasting bland and tasteless. As a rule of thumb, as has been previously mentioned, the chicken should be white and firm. Not pink and chewy.

Give this a whirl...

1. Take your chicken breast and cube it
2. Place it in a bowl and drizzle with lime juice
3. Season with chilli powder, black pepper, garlic and corriander. Add however much you like depending on taste.
4. Roll the cubes around so all are well coated
5. Leave in the fridge overnight or while you are at work
6. Roughly slice a red pepper, a green pepper and a red onion
7. Soak some wooden kebab skewers in water for 20 mins or so or dont soak em if you have metal ones :)
8. Thread the chicken down the skewer like so... Red pepper, Green pepper, onion, chicken, onion, green pepper red pepper.
9. Grill under a high to medium heat, turning often.
10. Warm a wholemeal pitta bread under the grill towards the end of cooking and serve with a crisp green salad.

Et voila. Quick, easy and healthy chicken kebabs.

Back
Top Bottom