Chilli Con Carne - what vegetables do you include?

I use this recipe, fantastic

Same one I've been using for a while. Tend to use a mix of dried guajillos, chipotle chillies and anchos steeped in beef stock since those are nearly always on-hand.

Last edited:
My recipe has 1kg of onions, garlic, chillies, a few sticks of celery, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes and 2 tins of kidney beans.

In the herbs / spices that go in, there's (IIRC) a tablespoon of cocoa powder.

Do love a good chilli, usually just include onions, garlic, tin of chopped tomatos, beef stock, paprika, cumin, hot chilli powder and add in kidney beans and some dark chocolate towards the end.

Have tried it in the slow cooker once or twice, but, being honest, it doesn't taste much (any) different.

Apart from not perhaps the usual export Guinness, 70% cocoa chocolate (Aldi) I try to add up to 5 different types of beans/peas and they are those I find in Morrisons.

It's a popular dish, so I thought I'd ask what vegetables everyone includes in theirs? I use chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, red kidney beans, small dice carrots, and onions. The recipe I adapted mine from didn't include carrots but it did list sugar - carrots are a natural sweetener in sauce dishes, so I swapped them.

Same but skip the carrots, I do put carrots in spag bowl though.

Sometimes I put a can of baked beans in the chilli, I find it bulks it up and adds to the flavour...

If I have mushrooms to use up I'll shove them in aswell sometimes, but it's not too often

Also like a bit of spice so finely chopped red chillies, unfortunately child and wife don't like the added heat so have to add it to mine after I dished theirs up

So whats your favourite way to serve your chilli?
Just plain in a bowl?
With rice?
My favourite has to be with nachos, add a layer of nachos in a baking tray, some dollops of chilli, some pickled jalepenos, cover with some cheese, cook for 5 mins under a hot grill and serve with sour cream.

I Like the Hairy Bikers recipie. Lush, I make a batch and freeze portions.
That's the one I used too. I added carrots and changed to 1 tbsp cornflour instead of 2 tbsp plain flour. I'll try adding some other beans, lentils, dark chocolate, and chorizo having reading the comments.

Just plain in a bowl?
With rice?
My favourite has to be with nachos, add a layer of nachos in a baking tray, some dollops of chilli, some pickled jalepenos, cover with some cheese, cook for 5 mins under a hot grill and serve with sour cream.

Just simple with me as the only one in the house to eat it (due to heat) I usually have it with Basmati rice, cheese and slaw.

I don't think over the years that I've added carrots, but will add chopped okra if I have some + an onion or two and fridge bits that need using up due to always making it as a batch, rather than a single meal.

Had a similar meal out this year for the first time with nachos and might give that a go next time.

I used to include a lot, celery, peppers, carrot (also bacon, chocolate), but pared it right back and actually find it better when it's less busy.

Now it's just tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, red kidney beans, haricot beans.

Smoked paprika is the one thing I've added more recently and found it really makes the dish

Last edited:
Normaly onion, maybe peas and carrots. Kidney beans are mandatory.

Oh, and bang a beef oxo cube in it aswell!

Last edited:
Just plain in a bowl?
With rice?

Usually plain rice (basmati), sometimes a jacket potato, very occasionally penne pasta.

Made chilli tonight.

Full recipe, approx:

1kg minced beef
3 Oxo cubes
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
3 large closed cup mushrooms
1 teaspoon each of ground coriander, smoked paprika
1 tablespoon each of cumin seeds, mild chilli powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon cornflour
Approx 1 pint water
2 tins red kidney beans
1 tin haricot beans
Pepper

With rice and tortilla chips. Serves 8 ish (served 4 today, the rest will be used in a few days)

I add v. hot chilli sauce to my portion, the rest of the family are wimps :D

Back
Top Bottom