Chilli Con Carne - what vegetables do you include?

We're not fighting mexican vampires here :D

I do wonder about garlic sometimes. Is what I buy in the supermarket getting weaker, or have I developed a tolerance? Once upon a time a couple of cloves would be plenty in a Bolognese, curry or whatever. These days it's usually 4 good sized cloves and sometimes I'm still not sure that I put enough in.

I do wonder about garlic sometimes. Is what I buy in the supermarket getting weaker, or have I developed a tolerance? Once upon a time a couple of cloves would be plenty in a Bolognese, curry or whatever. These days it's usually 4 good sized cloves and sometimes I'm still not sure that I put enough in.

It's *****.. I grew garlic in my garden last year, the specific breed was 'picardi wight' ... and the difference is unbelivable... you have to hang them and/or dry/cure them a little bit when you harvest them...but they were so much more juicy and smelly..

Like seriously, if you chop up some home grown garlic you will stink for days unless you clean properly.

Conversley, supermarket garlic seems really weak ...if a recipie calles for 2 cloves, you have to put 2 whole bulbs in to even taste it.

It's really easy to grow aswell.

Last edited:
I tried 1 tbsp of cocoa powder in with my chilli con carne today and I didn't like it. It really muted the tomato and everything else. Ingredients for reference (serves 6):

400g chopped tomatoes
565ml water
50g tomato paste
2 tsp chilli powder, cumin, and coriander
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp oregano
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
500g 5% lean mince beef
90g chorizo
Chicken stock cube
1 bay leaf
500g diced carrots
500g diced onions
240g rinsed red kidney beans
1.5 tsp sea salt
Pinch of black ground pepper

The coca powder seems bizzare...
And also the Chorizo is very salty so there's no point adding half a spoon of salt... That will make no difference what so ever.
Also 1 teaspoon of garlic is going to make no difference in favour.

Those garlic numbers are rookie numbers.

Last edited:
It's *****.. I grew garlic in my garden last year, the specific breed was 'picardi wight' ... and the difference is unbelivable... you have to hang them and/or dry/cure them a little bit when you harvest them...but they were so much more juicy and smelly..

Like seriously, if you chop up some home grown garlic you will stink for days unless you clean properly.

Conversley, supermarket garlic seems really weak ...if a recipie calles for 2 cloves, you have to put 2 whole bulbs in to even taste it.

It's really easy to grow aswell.

Home grown garlic? Interesting. Might look into that.

Back
Top Bottom