Chilling adventures of Sabrina

Soldato
I'm curious as to what happens to her powers now she's made the choice to go the "third way" after episode 2... I mean it was presented as a binary choice, she signs the book or she doesn't an if she doesn't then she loses her powers. Ostensibly she's simply chosen the "not sign" option, so not exactly a "third way" yet.

It's more complex than that in the end - the decision/outcome goes to court! (Witch court, of course ;))

Man of Honour
if there is a potential link

There are a number of references to Riverdale both directly and indirectly but I don't understand the link if there is one at all other than maybe a spiritual thing due to some shared regional location and time period.

First season of Riverdale was pretty good despite a strong teen drama theme it was more than just that but then it seemed to get a bit self absorbed so I lost interest.

Caporegime
There are a number of references to Riverdale both directly and indirectly but I don't understand the link if there is one at all other than maybe a spiritual thing due to some shared regional location and time period.

By potential link I mean, directly in the shows themselves I.e. perhaps some instance in future where characters of one series are seen in the other or some story lines cross over. I’m aware of the fact they’re in the same fictional “universe” and nearby each other etc..

Caporegime
erm.. just on episode 4... why is her boyfriend using a smartphone, in the 60s? (when she's on the phone to him in the unseen academy)

edit - and there was the gay cousin using a laptop in a previous episode?

Soldato
There is relevant and there is using something as a vehicle for an agenda especially when it tries to force rewrite perceptions of what is "normal".

While it isn't surprising that some of these shows aimed at a younger audience deal with some of the issues they might be encountering at the same time a lot of people including people affected by these issues turn to movies and TV, etc. as an escape from these issues - something some of these people with an agenda seem to be forgetting and/or don't care about.

Funny how it's only ever considered an agenda when it's dealing these particular types of issues though.

If people want an escape from these particular topics, there are plenty more shows choosing to not deal with them than those that do; they're spoilt for choice.

Man of Honour
Funny how it's only ever considered an agenda when it's dealing these particular types of issues though.

If people want an escape from these particular topics, there are plenty more shows choosing to not deal with them than those that do; they're spoilt for choice.

When it is shoehorned into material where it isn't even relevant or overdone in a way that distorts reality where it is relevant yeah there is an agenda there and its creeping into wider and wider content to a detrimental level to all concerned - see the latest Battlefield game for instance.

Soldato
When it is shoehorned into material where it isn't even relevant or overdone in a way that distorts reality where it is relevant yeah there is an agenda there and its creeping into wider and wider content to a detrimental level to all concerned - see the latest Battlefield game for instance.

So the inclusion of LGBT and racial themes is "distorting reality" in a TV programme about a teenage witch?

Fortunately most people are at the very least not remotely bothered by a small (but growing) amount of modern media including these themes and topics, so in reality the detriment is only to those who tend to hold certain prejudices in the first place.

Man of Honour
So the inclusion of LGBT and racial themes is "distorting reality" in a TV programme about a teenage witch?

Really you are going to play that card then complain about people being small minded?

My comment was more commentary in general in response to the post I replied to I've not watched much of this show yet but it isn't like it is trying to change peoples perception of witches and any underlying commentary as to the challenges faced by young people who might not fit in, etc. is proportional as far as the theme of the story goes.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been a huge fan of The Archies since day one (never missed one of their issues in original mag format :)), so I can't deny I love everything Archie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Sabrina, etc. Things sure get weird in Riverdale on the big screen and I enjoyed the Archie movies....I'll have to get my teeth :) into this one too :)

Permabanned
Seeing a lot of knuckle draggers online complaining about the supposed 'feminist agenda' the show has (not seen it yet)... I mean... what? Do people read ANYTHING other then peddled twaddle supporting there own rhetoric these days?

'Witches' have been a symbol of female empowerment/disenfranchisement for centuries. Bizzare...

Anyway, my GF wasn't too impressed but then again, she's got ****ing awful taste so I'll take it as a green light xD

Man of Honour
Seeing a lot of knuckle draggers online complaining about the supposed 'feminist agenda' the show has (not seen it yet)... I mean... what? Do people read ANYTHING other then peddled twaddle supporting there own rhetoric these days?

'Witches' have been a symbol of female empowerment/disenfranchisement for centuries. Bizzare...

Anyway, my GF wasn't too impressed but then again, she's got ****ing awful taste so I'll take it as a green light xD

I've not found it too bad in this show (to both aspects) so far - it isn't really my thing but I've been watching the odd episode here and there - production quality is pretty high which is a plus though the story feels a bit like its floundering so far - staggers around a bit without seeming to quite know how to progress despite having an overall goal.

Soldato
watched episode 1, seems pretty good so will probably stick with it.
Feminism stuff seemed to be handled well and I normally cringe against a lot of that stuff , but it didn't come across as forced.
Unlike the love interest which totally did!

I also love Kiernan Shipka since MadMen and Feud days so great to see her in more stuff.

Caporegime
No camp cat talking.... failure as a show.

Meh, it's okay but it's very much, oh look the protagonist does everything 'wrong' with every choice. Almost all tv does it but making the stupid choice to add story rather than adding good story and making the characters less stupid results in better stories. Of course people should make the wrong choices sometimes because that is normal. But when a show is the main character making the wrong choice every single time and for which most are painfully obviously wrong it becomes just bad writing.

Seriously though, the show kind of lacks any real humour, considering the cat was funny on the previous show, obviously this is far more serious but you can still have humour in serious shows. It seems like having some playful banter between her and the cat then adding in a funny character for the cat could have been really good. She barely talks to the cat anyway and explain it as a psychic link between familiar and master and you don't even need to do CGI.

Caporegime
Finished the series now, I thought it was decent enough that I'd watch another season. I am a bit of a sucker for some of this sort of fantasy stuff (in a very general sense), I was a fan of Buffy the Vampire slayer back in the day (well for the first few seasons at least), I've watched some of the Vampire Diaries episodes too (not exactly great but is easy to watch trash TV when bored), I really wanted to like the Shannara Chronicles but that show turned out to be complete guff. I really, really like Game of Thrones and Harry Potter, but then again who doesn't.

There are certainly a lot of influences from other contemporary films/TV shows - Sabrina has her version of Hogwarts to go to, while there isn't a Slitherin House per say there are the three sisters who don't like the fact she's a mudblood half-breed. There was almost a bit of a hunger games reference re: the episode with the "tributes" being drawn by lottery. There is potential I think for twilight style love triangle where she might go for the warlock dude at the academy over witch hunter descendent. There seems to be some Vampire Diaries influence too with regards to the old town setting and the various historical families and their links to the town, in the case of Vampire diaries historic Vampire hunters, in the case of Sabrina she's dating a descendent of a Witch hunter. Much like Buffy some of her pals have developed their own special skills. Though they managed to throw in the good old "magical negro" trope with Rosalind's wise old Grandmother and the "cunning" special sense she has, which of course Rosalind develops too.

Like the above poster I'd have liked to see some more comedy, especially given the casting of Lucy Davis and Michelle Gomez. I'd also have preferred to see some of the characters being a bit more flawed... for example she has this boyfriend who is seemingly every feminists' dream - he's rather anti-masculine, sits there obediently with her chums, he didn't shoot the deer etc... would have perhaps been more interesting to have him perhaps shoot the deer, be a bit more flawed, have a bit more conflict with her instead of simply having him do nothing wrong and just have Sabrina make mistakes.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Pros:

-Its 10 episodes only
-Darker feel all round
-scooby gang
-chosen one (sabrina)
-decent enough acting considering season 1
-good cast with an ok storyline

Cons
-lacks comedy or fun
-a poor mans version of buffy the vampire slayer
-sabrina wooden plank acting
-lacks that spark or something...

Am glad above post said it, I think its a poor version of buffy the vampire slayer, since you got sabrina being the all powerful one, her scooby gang or friends suddenly now with abilities, other characters in the background revealing to be the bad guys. It was an ok season but imo had no fire or substance, nothing
that sets it apart from any other tv show or anything to remember it by for season 2.

Back
Top Bottom