Cholesterol levels

Don
Thanks Hilly, noted. I guess still worth eating some avocado then if it's good for the arteries, even if they don't open them.

I just found this video which makes it look pretty quick and easy to fillet. I reckon I can get 3 meals out of my 3 mackerels, although they're not massive, but decent sized fish. I've got one defrosting for tomorrow night's dinner. Once I'm familiar with filleting and cooking it, I can buy and eat fresh in future instead of freezing all of it.

A few questions for you if you don't mind:

So will I not be able to fillet it without the head? Surely I just locate the end of the backbone as he shows, and slit along it?

I can still grill if filleted though right? And for how long per side?

What about the pan frying in the above video, would that be good or much unhealthier than grilling?

The major benefit of avocado is the amount of potassium which is great for arteries - there's more potassium in avocados than there is in bananas; You're still fighting a losing battle in the long run if you have a poor diet, a family history of cholesterol etc etc; there's more than just the whole 'you need to cook it in this and eat this food'. But you are what you eat, what you put in you get out. Everything in moderation, always; For example, today you've learnt that potassium is good for you and your heart. However, if you have too much potassium in your diet and your body can't get rid of the excess you can suffer from hyperkalemia.

Everything in moderation, always. A balanced diet, regular checkups, medication if required. But for me, don't let it detract from the quality of your life - if you want a piece of bread and butter every once in a blue moon, just ****ing for it.

Soldato
OP
The major benefit of avocado is the amount of potassium which is great for arteries - there's more potassium in avocados than there is in bananas; You're still fighting a losing battle in the long run if you have a poor diet, a family history of cholesterol etc etc; there's more than just the whole 'you need to cook it in this and eat this food'. But you are what you eat, what you put in you get out. Everything in moderation, always; For example, today you've learnt that potassium is good for you and your heart. However, if you have too much potassium in your diet and your body can't get rid of the excess you can suffer from hyperkalemia.

Everything in moderation, always. A balanced diet, regular checkups, medication if required. But for me, don't let it detract from the quality of your life - if you want a piece of bread and butter every once in a blue moon, just ****ing for it.

Agreed. I've eaten reasonably healthily for the last week, at least, I've had no cakes, chocolates, chips or frozen battered stuff. I had chicken, broccoli and salad potatoes last night and have fish defrosting for tomorrow. But I've got nothing healthy for tonight. I've got some boxed frozen chicken steaks in breadcrumbs. I guess it might be ok to eat a couple of those since I regard it as in moderation. I'll have with a baked spud and carrots.

Don
Agreed. I've eaten reasonably healthily for the last week, at least, I've had no cakes, chocolates, chips or frozen battered stuff. I had chicken, broccoli and salad potatoes last night and have fish defrosting for tomorrow. But I've got nothing healthy for tonight. I've got some boxed frozen chicken steaks in breadcrumbs. I guess it might be ok to eat a couple of those since I regard it as in moderation. I'll have with a baked spud and carrots.

I'm not in shape and haven't been for 2 years - I did my ACL a number of years ago, replaced with patella tendon and its been downhill since - I still play football, but I lack the drive and commitment of a gym, plus I work away (in Switzerland), so can't get with my usual social groups for a regular football game.

I however try to eat as cleanly as I can - but without starving myself of the good stuff. I drink beer, I eat random stuff, but I eat a tonne of salad a day (as Swiss a generally super healthy) and walk for miles generally speaking - so it balances itself out.

Soldato
The major benefit of avocado is the amount of potassium which is great for arteries
nonetheless they are, like oily fish, recommended for controlling ldl and maybe easier to incorporate in a daily diet - as PSonny said ... fajitas sound good ? with grilled chicken.

Nice to know the tins are good. I buy those from Aldi, only about 55p per tin.
tinned sardines too - can't beat a sardine sarnie - bit of vinegar minced up

Don
nonetheless they are, like oily fish, recommended for controlling ldl and maybe easier to incorporate in a daily diet - as PSonny said ... fajitas sound good ? with grilled chicken.

tinned sardines too - can't beat a sardine sarnie - bit of vinegar minced up

They are, but they're also proven to raise HDL which diminishes their effects.

Soldato
OP
Never liked sardines but definitely worth trying again.

Was looking at the price of avocados. Didn't realise they're pretty expensive for a single fruit. Some are £2 a piece. Also, I've checked them on every supermarket website, and it's pretty much a 2 out of 5 star poor ratings across the board for the quality of avocados being supplied to shops.

Soldato
Lidl tinned one ocean something, are the brand I prefer, or push the boat out Parmentier (much cheaper in france)
fresh - being small fish & going off quick - you have to have a good supplier .. you'd have to move to seaside or bilingsgate.

glenrck (scottish) Pilchards used to be good .. but the pacific/chinese ones they now sell not as good as atlantic

I'd introduce almonds over avocados into diet .. but, maybe even more expensive.

omega3 fish oil pills too ?

Soldato
OP
Yes, I was wondering about fish oil pills, do they compete well with fresh fish?

Edit: just found the answer to my question.

https://www.cleaneatingmag.com/personalities/if-i-eat-fish-should-i-still-take-a-fish-oil-supplement

"Even if you eat fish twice a week, you may not be getting the levels of omega-3 fatty acids that your body needs for maximum heart disease prevention. The reason for this is that not all fishspecies contain the same amounts of omega-3s. We recommend that you get at least 1,000 milligrams of omega-3 per day in the form of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid)"

On the other hand..

https://www.livescience.com/46635-fish-oil-supplements-science-hype.html

"But although fish oil supplements may have benefits for people at risk of heart problems, their benefit has been strongly questioned for healthy people, as high levels of omega-3 intake been linked with increased risk for stroke. High levels may also interfere with some medications, such as blood thinners, according to the National Institutes of Health."

Last edited:
Associate
I was put onto BP meds a few years ago and they also wanted to put me on statins. I said no to the statins and asked for 6 months to try and changed my diet.
Its not rocket science. Just cut out the stuff thats bad and replace it with stuff that is good.

My top tips are.
Buy some smaller plates and bowls. - this leads to smaller portion sizes.
learn to love chick peas. - hummus. Also you can add them into stuff like bolognese, lasagne, curry and stews to bulk them up and reduce the amount of meat.
learn to love yoghurts but look at what your buying. Some are ok for a pudding type treat but are not a health breakfast type thing.
Reduce (but do not remove) the amount of pasta and potatoes / bread you eat. When your having cheesy pasta bake, make less and have 1/3 of your plate be brocoli or some other veg.
Same with bolognese. Less pasta, more chick peas and some green stuff.
Throw the salt shaker in the bin (or at least the back of the cupboard only to be used for chips and roast potatoes).
The consultants at the hospital just said to reduce salt intake massively and not to bother with the 50% sodium replacement stuff as it had other stuff in it instead.

I managed to drop my cholesteral enough that they agreed I did not need the statins (i also lost 2 stone in the 6 months).

And yes, as someone else mentioned above. Avoid grapefruit.

Also as someone else mentioned above. Everything in moderation.
I tried going 100% cold turkey and ended up feeling worse with aches pains and head aches.
The body just needs some pizza or curry now and again.

Soldato
On the other hand..
I can't see on that article, or others, whether overdosing on oily fish omega3 could be 'equally' bad as supplements .. it's easier/cheaper to have a pill if they're equivalent.

personally i would avoid supplements such as fish oil as the quality of such products is usually poor..
you buy a decent brand rather than something chinese off ebay ... I've bought healthspan opti-omega3...
the quality of the oils could be better/less-oxidised than in a physical fish.

No need to avoid grapefruit unless you're on meds that it increases the bio availability of.
Doesn't the predominately medicated statin have that restriction though ... and the doctors not going to say try the more expensive alternative first if you like grapefruit ?

talk about confusing but https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/fish-oil-vs-statins
Besides statins, other drugs that are used to lower cholesterol include:

• niacin
  • drugs that work in your intestines
  • fibrates
  • PCSK9 inhibitors
Niacin is a B vitamin that’s found in food

Summary Liver is one of the best natural sources of niacin, providing 91% of the RDA for men and more than 100% of the RDA for women per 3-ounce (85-gram) serving.

Summary Ground beef is a good source of niacin. Leaner varieties contain 1/3 more niacin than fattier ones. What’s more, grass-fed beef may be higher in antioxidants and omega-3s than conventional grain-fed beef.

Summary One avocado provides over 20% of the RDA for niacin and is rich in fiber, heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and minerals like potassium.

I didn't see thatliver coming !
probably all testament to adopting a varied diet.

Man of Honour
- context was was happens if you start them .. why else were we discussing them ?
The poster that mentioned it was listing how they'd got on while avoiding statins, that's why it read as general advice to me rather than "if on statins avoid grapefruit".

Soldato
OP
I'd introduce almonds over avocados into diet .. but, maybe even more expensive.

I bought a bag of almonds and a bag of hazelnuts today, good price. And 4 avocados too for £1.60. Aldi prices are good. I bought 7 cans of mackerel, 53p each, but I must have dropped one in the car park. As these nuts are healthy and unsalted, does it matter how many I eat?

20191009-193912.jpg

Quite pleased with my blood pressure results. I'm testing with my new toy every morning and evening and keeping records. The more I practise with it, the more I feel relaxed. Diastolic could be lower though.

20191009-200001.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom