Choosing a bike for a restricted license?

Soldato
You'll be wanting a Superdream.

superdream09030302.jpg

Lol.

Associate
I went stright to unrestricted bikes as I did the DAS.

My sister however took the restricted test & now rides an NC30 which she loves.

She still rides with restrictors (despite her restriction being up) as she's too lazy to take them out........

Then again she's got an 07 Hanspree 600RR which she uses on track, and eventually on the road when she moves somewhere it won't be kept on the road.

Soldato
Don't ride bikes because you wanna 'look cool', ride bikes because you enjoy it. Go and get your CBT under your belt and see if you enjoy it, if you don't, it might not be for you and you'll be throwing a lot of money away.

There are also older bikes, the Fazer 600 (changed name to FZ6 recently), Honda Hornet, Kawasaki Z750 (might be too big for restriction though).

Spot on advice here. -the z750.

Soldato
The Z750 is very pretty, but according to wikipedia, its over 100 hp, so yeah, way to big for a restricted license :p

Nah, that's what the restrictor is for! My SV is 70bhp, and a CBR or and 4 cylinder bikes are usually over 100bhp for 600cc.

Whereabouts are you located OP? If it's an area I know, I could recommend some decent bike dealerships you could have a look at, get a sit on the bikes and get a decent feel for :)

Need to prioritise getting your tests done though too!

Last edited:
Soldato
Any bike (most) can be restricted so you buy a bike that you want to ride after your 2 years probation. I have a restricted CBF600 and I am very happy with it, only 7 months to go :)

Associate
OP
I was under the impression that the premiums were significantly higher on a restricted machine, because you pay the same as if it had full power?

Also, and I know I've already asked this once, someone mentioned on here about doing DAS for £200, but no ones said anything else since? I would love to do DAS and get straight onto a big bike, its just that I can't afford the 7-800 quid my local school charge for it. Is there a £200 option? What is it?

Soldato
I was under the impression that the premiums were significantly higher on a restricted machine, because you pay the same as if it had full power?

Also, and I know I've already asked this once, someone mentioned on here about doing DAS for £200, but no ones said anything else since? I would love to do DAS and get straight onto a big bike, its just that I can't afford the 7-800 quid my local school charge for it. Is there a £200 option? What is it?

Most I have seen charge £600 + :(

Soldato

Your first point is slightly true. It very much depends on the bike, some 250s and 400s are much more to insure due to their rarity, they will almost always be written off, or they are imports.

My bike costs considerably less than my 125 did to insure.

Caporegime
in dudley near birmingham,7000miles from new,new everything basically,i ride an 04 zx10 atm and i havnt used it,just used it while mine was having repairs

new battery,tires,chain/sprockets,brake pads,expensive big one full exhaust system £180 will put full 12months mot on it for you

condition is like new ill dig out some pics of it when i get time,for all the new parts,mileage and condition id want £1400 for it,a lot yes but its done nothing and hasnt been messed with at all, its y reg and 2 owners i think

Soldato
Ah. I was hoping for something cheaper I could thrash around a track.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling at that price though.

I've already got a kmx200 btw, cracking bikes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah. I was hoping for something cheaper I could thrash around a track.

You shouldn't have any trouble selling at that price though.

I've already got a kmx200 btw, cracking bikes.

thats fine,tbh i havnt got round to advertising it yet,i just looked on my digital camera and i must have deleted the pics,but ill take some new 2morro just to show you,

Last edited:
Caporegime
ok,i dont know if it was against forum rules,ifso i can always remove,the kmx is in just as good a condition as the zx10

EDIT: actually i will remove,i dont like to splash my bike around the net

Last edited:
Soldato
I was looking at 400s too Arctine, but they very costly for what they are, parts are a nightmare to find, and most have been thrashed or in bad condition.

How's the bike hunting going OP?

Back
Top Bottom