Christmas lunch - what are you cooking and drinking?

Soldato
I'm working Christmas Day, Boxing Day, the 27th and the 28th so we're having a dinner on Christmas Eve instead, a shoulder of lamb w/ trimmings. Christmas day I'll be having a full English and hopefully walking it off on the walk to work. Then I'll be doing the rounds of all the wards all day because quite a few nurses are avid bakers and bring in the motherload of mince pies, Christmas muffins, gingerbread and other such good stuff.

My diet is on hold for the main two days of Christmas. :D

Nurses Christmas muffin...... hmmmmm?

Soldato
No, but I might just do that for New Year! Can’t be better than ribeye shirley or maybe it is?

I was going to use my local butcher, but this caught my eye :)

If done right, it is for me.

I've done the probe in the Picanha in the Ninja, which came out really nice, but I prefer to do it by setting the timer and do a minute a side in a hot pan for 9 minutes, rest it for 5 and serve.
That is for a standard sized steak and I think you may be surprised at how good it is.

I'm cooking my first Christmas dinner this year. I'm planning to include:

1 Turkey crown for 8-9 people
Gammon
Roast spuds, boiled for ten mins, roughed up in the pan, drizzled with olive oil and roasted with garlic.
Pigs in blankets
Carrot and Parsnips baked in honey mustard.
Sprouts, done is the usual way.
Roasted Garlic bulbs
Stuffing
Gravy

Christmas Pudding with Cream
Something else, not sure yet.

Some alcohol for those that do that sort of thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do two trays of roasted veg, potatoes, carrots parsnips and celeriac. Pan of cold water bring to boil and turn off, back into pot add a bit of flour and shake to rough it all up and into the oven with goose/duck fat turn regularly. Never lets me down, the celeriac is always the favourite.

Associate
Xmas Eve:

Borscht

Side of Salmon (sticking with wifes tradition of meat free xmas eve)

Xmas Day:

Bucks Fizz with Breakfast, probably bacon and egg s/w

Prawns w/ Marie Rose Sauce

Sałatka Jarzynowa

Turkey Crown from the Butcher
Beef topside from dads farm
Roasties, parsnips, carrots, red cabbage, yorkshire puds
Sprouts par boiled and fried, going to try frying with some diced polish sausage this year instead of bacon.

Some sort of high calorie chocolate pudding

Alcohol : Case of Brewdog Headliners, Few Bottles of White/Rose/Red, Zubrowka and Apple Juice, Baileys

Boxing Day: Bubble & Squeek/Xmas Buffet

Soldato
We’re being brave and playing it by ear this year.
Got to the butchers today. No queue!

Decided to play it simple and got a 1.2kg bit of topside. Looks decent. They were out of bones so got some oxtails to put in the trivet for the gravy. I also have a big bone in the freezer :p

Going to do roasted sprouts with parmesan and chili flakes (done them before, so moreish) but can't decide on potato dauphinoise or roasties :confused: Thinking you don't generally have a huge amount of gravy with dauphinoise, it should be more of a red wine jus which is faffy. Hmn.

Also debating whether to sous vide it or not. What online calculators do you guys use for sous vide times on bigger cuts? My bible is Serious Eats but he doesn't have anything bigger than steaks :confused:

Soldato

Decided to play it simple and got a 1.2kg bit of topside. Looks decent. They were out of bones so got some oxtails to put in the trivet for the gravy. I also have a big bone in the freezer :p

Going to do roasted sprouts with parmesan and chili flakes (done them before, so moreish) but can't decide on potato dauphinoise or roasties :confused: Thinking you don't generally have a huge amount of gravy with dauphinoise, it should be more of a red wine jus which is faffy. Hmn.

Also debating whether to sous vide it or not. What online calculators do you guys use for sous vide times on bigger cuts? My bible is Serious Eats but he doesn't have anything bigger than steaks :confused:
1.5kg Topside on the Anova app shows 57.2°C for 9hr.

I'd check the app for levels of finish.

Soldato
We are going to my sister in laws in Canada , so I don't know what we are going to be eating.
The only thing I am fairly certain on is Christmas pudding, as we have been asked to bring one! For Christmas pudding, brandy butter is a necessity, and I will make that over there.

Soldato

Not even a contest, definitely roasties

Soldato
Well, not finalised, but there to use finally.

Morning breakfast at the OH's parents, which is a tradition every year.

Home:

Lobster, King prawns, Scallops with smoked bacon risotto.

Chateaubriand, roasted roots, Yorkshire pudding and sprouts.

Soft and hard cheese boards.

Cornish clotted cream - Salted caramel ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom