Christmas lunch - what are you cooking and drinking?

Soldato
I think this is the plan (but I'm on call this Christmas so might be takeawy)

Slow cooked a turkey for 4 hours in homemade chicken stock, cider and vegatables mixture.
Take out, wrap in streaky bacon and roast, plus all the sides

Desert will be either christmas cake or a frozen apple pie with ice cream

Soldato
OP
Starter - Smoked salmon, melba toast with a rocket, pistachio and cranberry salad.
Vegan option - vegan pate, with salad.

Main - Porchetta, stuffed with garlic, rosemary, thyme and fennel.
Vegan option - Red cabbage parcels with macadamias, mushrooms and chestnuts.

Trimmings - Roasties, roast parsnips, carrots (raw for me, roasted in maple syrup for her), peas, cauliflower (vegan cauliflower cheese for her), broccoli, pigs in blankets (and vegan ones), Yorkshire puddings, gravy, apple sauce and English mustard.

Pudding - Christmas pudding and custard. Chocolate and banana molten cake with hazelnut and date sauce.

Cheese!

Soldato
Starter - Smoked salmon, melba toast with a rocket, pistachio and cranberry salad.
Vegan option - vegan pate, with salad.

Trimmings - Roasties, roast parsnips, carrots (raw for me, roasted in maple syrup for her), peas, cauliflower (vegan cauliflower cheese for her), broccoli, pigs in blankets (and vegan ones), Yorkshire puddings, gravy, apple sauce and English mustard.

Pudding - Christmas pudding and custard. Chocolate and banana molten cake with hazelnut and date sauce.

Cheese!

Not vegan myself but out of interest how do you make the vegan pate?

Soldato
OP
Not vegan myself but out of interest how do you make the vegan pate?

I've used this recipe before, and will probably do so again this year. Will double the thyme, salt and cognac.

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 shallot
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 18 button mushrooms
  • 2 tsp rosemary
  • 2 tsp thyme
  • 2 tsp sage
  • 2 tbsp cognac
  • 400g cooked lentils
  • 150g toasted walnuts
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp beetroot puree
  • dairy-free butter (optional)
  1. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan.

2. Roughly chop the shallot and add to the pan. Add a pinch of salt and cook the onions until they are translucent.

3. Roughly chop the garlic cloves and add to the pan. Cook this off and add the chopped button mushrooms. Stir until everything is well cooked. Add the rosemary, thyme, sage and cognac.

4. Add the contents of the frying pan to a food processor along with the lentils, walnuts and soy sauce. Pulse the mixture until combined then add in the beetroot puree. Process until almost smooth, add an extra splash of cognac if needed.

5. Transfer the mixture to a jar, adding on a thin layer of dairy-free butter to the top (optional). Refrigerate for a few hours before serving. Best served with good quality bread.

from - https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/faux-gras

Soldato

dietary diverse household ?
.. aforementioned delia xmas pudding recipe , we use too, is veganish (couple of eggs) - also one of the few uses of a microwave.

Soldato
OP
dietary diverse household ?
.. aforementioned delia xmas pudding recipe , we use too, is veganish (couple of eggs) - also one of the few uses of a microwave.

Sort of. My girlfriend is fully vegan. All our dinners are normally vegan, and delicious. However I’m not ready to give up my Christmas meat. However, all the trimmings will be vegan and we’re making a vegan Yule log this afternoon.

Capodecina
Soldato
*REJUVINATING THREAD - WHERE TO GET THE TURKEY*

So we were thinking of getting an Aldi turkey this year, apparently available in store from 19th,
it's not clear if they are available immediately on the sunday, or arrive sometime during the week ?

Gressingham turkey we had 2019 was not very good(refunded) , Morrisons 2020 year was ok.

I didn't think I would be posting in this thread again this year but here I am.

Isolating so I will be on my own Christmas Day for the third year running.

No idea what to get but it will all have to be delivery since I can't go to the shops.

Soldato
need to decide soon then .. or could wait for a christmas eve gamble/bargain

.. so queued outside Aldi 9:30 yesterday, masked covid turkey, went for a cockerel(hadn't realised capons are now illegal in uk), which breaks our duck.
making room in the fridge was the problem, but the garage (assuming no rodents) would probably have been cold enough for it's temporary isolation. ..

Associate
Got a Small Leg of Lamb and a Small Roll of Belly Pork with stuffing in the middle from our local butcher.

Just me and the wife this year, this should see us through Boxing day with all the trimmings.

Associate
Lump of beef tatties mash cabbage carrots yorkshires , other two have sprouts and cauliflower but no beef, do a curry on boxing day if i,m able to. Drinks are lager and guinness. Probly end up having egg and chips yet still a few days for a big fall out.

Soldato
Tea and biscuits for me as living on my own...

I live on my own also but have got some top quality sirloins, beer battered onion rings, french fries and award winning pepper sauce from the local butcher :) Every cloud and that!

Anyway, I find turkey to be a rather bland meat. Roasties and gammon I do miss however…

Back
Top Bottom