Christmas..nothing I want

Associate
Anybody else get to that stage of life where there is absolutely nothing they want or need?

I'm 44 and earn fairly decent money so generally through the year buy stuff but lately I find myself buying less and less and at this point when family has started asking me what I want for Christmas I am racking my brains.

It really does seem pointless buying me something for the sake of it and I'd rather they saved the money or spent it elsewhere but suggesting this recently to a family member I was told it wasn't an option.

Caporegime
Been like this since I was old enough to know the value of money.

If you don't want anything, don't get anything. I've managed to get my 7 member strong close family down to just doing secret Santa, so instead we focus on food and spending time together.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah, I'm the same. That's why my wife books a hotel somewhere and treats me instead.

Soldato
A day out?

Eg car track day, snowboarding lesson, tickets to see a sports match /music band.... Etc?

I tend to like presents I like, but feel a bit extravagant for he cost (note not high cost sub 100quid, just nice things). Eg previously my gf bought some snowboarding lessons, that was a really good present

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Donate it to charity? If you've got everything you could want or need, why not help someone else as a nice gesture?

Soldato
Donate it to charity? If you've got everything you could want or need, why not help someone else as a nice gesture?

This. Ask them to donate to a specific charity or sector (homeless, wildlife, specific country, etc.) of your choice. Usually they end up sending you a card or some kind of token of thanks which you can stick up and feel good about.

Associate
Christmas is for kids. I'm happy spending money on the kids/nephews/nieces etc. but as a family we don't spend money on adults. When I was young I used to ask my Dad what he wanted for Christmas and he'd tell us not to spend our money on him and to buy ourselves something so that is what I tell people when they ask me what I want.

Soldato
Even if you're not religious, Christmas isn't really about receiving gifts...

Well I guess it is for Joe Public.

If someone insists on giving you a gift just ask for vouchers or socks.

Back
Top Bottom