• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cinebench R24 released

Associate
Joining in:

7950X with ECO105 and Curve Optimiser at -10 (sudden hot temps from weather here isn't helping)
128GB DDR5 3600Mhz RAM, 64GB off as Ramdisk, so only 64GB on hand, and of course, this means the CPU is held back a little because of this as the Ramdisk where Cinebench is held is kept alive.
Sapphire Nitro X7900 XTX, 1095mv core, fast timing 2700Mhz VRAM, +15% power

LYlbiLL.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Ryzen 7 5800X Stock clocks (PPT 125, TDC 90, EDC 120 limited. Curve Optimiser -8 all cores).
Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz (OC @3600Mhz CAS16 1T).
ASRock 6900XT 16GB (Undervolt 1145mV, -10% Power limit, GPU max 2400Mhz).
  • GPU = 11,240
  • CPU Multi = 875
  • CPU Single = 98
Cinebench-R24.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I did some reading up and the 4090 is 124% faster than the 7900XTX at the GPU run on this. AMD yet again have some ways to go before they catch up in this arena.
Of course, NVidia is the king in this area.
Nevertheless, It's good to see proper AMD support though & they offer a lot of VRam / £.
If I had big scenes to render, would I rather a 12GB 4070ti that's a fair bit faster, or a 20GB 7900xt that will keep on trucking when the 4070ti is out of memory ? It's not altogether straightforward, even with out-of-core (where meshes & textures can share system RAM - there's a performance penalty in moving that data & not everything in Redshift can go out-of-core. For example VDb volumetric caches).
In fact, I slightly regret my 4070ti for this reason - even though 95% of my CG work happens in the office with a 24GB 3090, a 7900xt would probably have been better for both gaming & supported CG software. But that's AMD's loss for launching the 7900xt at an inflated price. Of course the 4070ti is better in VR & some apps needs CUDA, so it's swings & roundabouts.

Associate
I downloaded it but when I open the application, it just hangs on “initialising plug ins”.

Anybody else had this problem?

I’ve always liked Cinebench by it’s been a long time since I used it.

Associate
I downloaded it but when I open the application, it just hangs on “initialising plug ins”.

Anybody else had this problem?

I’ve always liked Cinebench by it’s been a long time since I used it.
Forgive me, I'm going to copy pasta this from another place I posted it.
But TLDR- 2024 is a complete change in underlying code & might need some patches. It might also be less forgiving of systems that are on the edge of stability. For you, it's prob more likely the former, or a bad download

It's worth noting that with this release, the entire underlying render engine has changed from the old Standard/ Physical render to Redshift. That's why you can test with GPUs now, as Redshift supports both. Those older renderers were CPU only.
So it's possible the new version needs some patching, due to how big a change it is to the underlying program. That's probably the most likely explanation.
But it's also possible that Redshift is less forgiving & is exposing some unstable undervolts/ overclocking that people are doing. Just like certain games are particularly good at digging out instability in PCs.
Over the next few months as Cinebench 2024 becomes more widespread, we'll probably work this out. But we might need to update some of the things we think we know about Cinebench, due to the change in the underlying code.

Long story short, this is by far the most significant change in Cinebench since the original release, which ever since then has been running on an updated version of the same engine/s. This is something completely new, which more accurately reflects the current state of the art in rendering.

Last edited:
Associate
It took some time for mine on the first open, give it some time. I literally waited about a minute or so.
I left it there for a while, long enough to forget I had opened it!
Forgive me, I'm going to copy pasta this from another place I posted it.
But TLDR- 2024 is a complete change in underlying code & might need some patches. It might also be less forgiving of systems that are on the edge of stability. For you, it's prob more likely the former, or a bad download

It's worth noting that with this release, the entire underlying render engine has changed from the old Standard/ Physical render to Redshift. That's why you can test with GPUs now, as Redshift supports both. Those older renderers were CPU only.
So it's possible the new version needs some patching, due to how big a change it is to the underlying program. That's probably the most likely explanation.
But it's also possible that Redshift is less forgiving & is exposing some unstable undervolts/ overclocking that people are doing. Just like certain games are particularly good at digging out instability in PCs.
Over the next few months as Cinebench 2024 becomes more widespread, we'll probably work this out. But we might need to update some of the things we think we know about Cinebench, due to the change in the underlying code.

Long story short, this is by far the most significant change in Cinebench since the original release, which ever since then has been running on an updated version of the same engine/s. This is something completely new, which more accurately reflects the current state of the art in rendering.

Thanks for posting; very useful info. I may try re-downloading it and see if that helps. If not I’ll leave it for now and try again in a few weeks.

Man of Honour
On first launch from the folder it pegs the CPU quite high for several seconds whilst it loads plugins and stuff then settles. The first tell was the case fans ramping up slightly as they're set by CPU temp, so must have been doing a multi threaded task pushing the CPU above 60, then it settles. Makes sense if it's loading plugins and checking stuff.

Soldato
R7 5800X3d Kombo Strike level 3
RTX 3080 FE @ stock
Cucial RAM @ 3600Mhz

GPU - 13105
CPU (Multi) - 897
CPU (Single) - 93

Caporegime
HUB posted some CB24 results which include total system power draw in this video and I thought I'd run the same test on my 7950X3D at the same X3D maximum power limit of 144W.
gqB1K5L.png

7950X3D = 2310 points
6mJKi6g.png

The 7950X3D is one of the most energy efficient gaming and multi-threaded processors out there atm.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: J.D
Back
Top Bottom