Cinema Paradiso disc rental price increases

Associate
I (and a few others I know) have had an email through this morning announcing a price rise, apparently due to Royal Mail putting up their prices.
The thing is, the increase is over 30% - although I think others are paying more than me for the same service.

Not looking good for CP as I think most are cancelling.
Anyone else thinking of ditching?
The other option is to put the account on freeze, every other month for example.

Soldato
I'm amazed a business model like this still exists in 2023. Wasn't this what blockbuster was doing 10+ years ago, and preference back then was mostly in favour of online streaming.

Associate
OP
I'm amazed a business model like this still exists in 2023. Wasn't this what blockbuster was doing 10+ years ago, and preference back then was mostly in favour of online streaming.
UHD 4k on disc provides the best quality for those that have dedicated home cinema setups - obviously a much smaller market than the days of Blockbuster.
Also, not all films are prompt at being available on streaming services (unless it's Disney etc).

Soldato
UHD 4k on disc provides the best quality for those that have dedicated home cinema setups - obviously a much smaller market than the days of Blockbuster.
Also, not all films are prompt at being available on streaming services (unless it's Disney etc).

Yep fair comment on the quality, but that puts it in niche market territory which means its users unfortunately have to pay a premium for.

img

img

Associate
Are the current website prices the increased ones? How long do they take to ship another disc?

Associate
I used to have it and was thinking of starting it up again, I really hope they continue to exist as I like having the option to physical media/max quality. When you consider some 4k blu-ray costs £25, it's all relative.

Associate
I’ve just signed up for the trial. Will make sure to watch the evening the disc turns up

Trial only allows limited amount of discs they also on purpose control the speed discs are logged in/out

I had tried this company multi times and found them every time to be poor. (This is on every level of service from dispatching to customer service)

Multi price increases as well the top package which was multi disc was at one stage £9.99.

The other thing I don't like is how misleading they are about stock listing many titles they do not even stock.

This company does not work weekends either yet postal service operates on Saturday.

I would rather use the money and put towards high speed internet or purchase the content I want.

Associate
Trial only allows limited amount of discs they also on purpose control the speed discs are logged in/out

I had tried this company multi times and found them every time to be poor. (This is on every level of service from dispatching to customer service)

Multi price increases as well the top package which was multi disc was at one stage £9.99.

The other thing I don't like is how misleading they are about stock listing many titles they do not even stock.

This company does not work weekends either yet postal service operates on Saturday.

I would rather use the money and put towards high speed internet or purchase the content I want.

Yeah, it’s what I’m thinking, the best AV / cinematic films, buy (around £20) and sell on, or pick up from cex…

I’ll see how I get on with the trial.

Caporegime
CP appeals to a small group of people imho, reason i've been subscribed since 2019 is i have a dedicated 4k theater room with 7.2.6, i want all the latest audio formats and IQ better than any streaming service offers.

Cancelling and buying the discs has crossed my mind loads of times, but i don't want to store the things and refuse to pay full price for the latest releases.

Currently paying £12.98 for 2 disc unlimited, which i think is miles below the current price tiers.

Last edited:
Associate
What have prices gone up to? Im on the 3 discs a month for 19.99, iv logged on and its the same price for the 2 dics now so wondering what the new 3 discs are?

Associate
In my experience of using cinema paradiso for many years (and Love Film before that), these services have more films available than you typically get on streaming services. The other thing I like is that you don't know what's coming in the post, and then when it's arrived it removes all the time spent deciding what to watch.
The turn around times used to be faster but I think it's partially down to royal mail not being as fast as it used to be

Associate
Their film selection is unmatched. Streaming is a joke in comparison with a few thousands films and a heavy bias towards the new. Or you can do itunes rental but that will quickly work out more expensive for worse quality and no bonus features. A lot of the time even that is not possible. For actual film lovers (not people that accept any crap given to them) it is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom