Cinema

Caporegime
Not sure i will go to the cinema ever again. With the advent of great sized TV's and great sound systems, i would much prefer just waiting a bit and watching new films in the comfort of my own home.

to be honest....I'm not really sure what the advantage of going to the cinema actually is anymore..

The experience and social aspect with friends and family that is totally missed by sitting at home on the sofa.

Soldato
It's not the noise that they want, is the profit margin. It probably cost them £1 for a kilo of corn which will turn into £100 of sale or something silly. Slush Puppies is sugar syrup on ice, which is water. 99% of that is water. Profit margins on these is what keep the cinema in business.

They would sell fresh chips or crisps if it's safe to make that behind the counter vs the ease of a popcorn machine, looks like massive volume. Plus it's a tradition for a lot of people, the whole popcorn in the cinema thing.

Some cinemas will serve you a burger and fries but they are not common but do you really want to eat that in the dark?

Indeed, cinemas pay an unbelievable amount for each roll of film to show, the tickets prices would have to go through the roof if they didn't sell the snacks at a hyper inflated price to break even.

Associate
My initial though was no chance..

But thinking about it, I usually wait until I expect it to be relatively empty anyway, so social distancing in the cinema is actually the norm for me.

There is however nothing I want to watch in the cinema at the moment.

Caporegime
Hate the cinema. Much rather the comfort and quiet of my own home, ticket costs nothing, all the cheap beer and snacks I can eat, no late journey home and being able to pause when I need a slash or another beer.

Man of Honour
Will go back to my local independent in July, we'll have had both our shots then. Also there's nothing that I particularly want to see until then anyway.

Fantastic cinema too.

Caporegime
Indeed, cinemas pay an unbelievable amount for each roll of film to show, the tickets prices would have to go through the roof if they didn't sell the snacks at a hyper inflated price to break even.

I always assume. When I go to the cinema in Wales I generate no profit for them.
Tickets are 4.50!

Caporegime
I always assume. When I go to the cinema in Wales I generate no profit for them.
Tickets are 4.50!

£18 a month limitless, average 10 movies a month. I live so close I leave the house 10mins after the time the movie scheduled to start (trailers), I done it so many times I would time it perfectly so that I pick up the ticket from automated machine, no snacks, straight to my seat as the BBFC logo appears.

Caporegime
£18 a month limitless, average 10 movies a month. I live so close I leave the house 10mins after the time the movie scheduled to start (trailers), I done it so many times I would time it perfectly so that I pick up the ticket from automated machine, no snacks, straight to my seat as the BBFC logo appears.

That's good use age! I only go to the cinema 1 once every two Months ish. Just not enough on for limitless

Soldato

That is quite impressive

Soldato
OP

crikey that is good timing

Caporegime
crikey that is good timing

It’s always 23mins of trailers and ads regardless of whether it is a blockbuster or Indy film, the exception is when it’s the odeon preview screening on a Monday which has no ads.

There are 3 sets of traffic lights from home to cinema. I can do it in under 5min drive from door to cinema car park. Then allow for 3-4mins walk from car to cinema depending what level of the car park I park, 1 min from ticket machine to seat, 1 min to pee. And contingency 1 min in case all sets of lights are red. Usually 2/3 are.

I can be 30s early but 8/10 I walk in just as either the last ad shows or the BBFC logo on the screen. 1/10 I might have just missed the logo but I would see the Movie studio logo such as the 20th Century Fox with that music.

This is the Odeon though, not sure about other chains.

Back
Top Bottom