Cinemas: how strict are they on age?

Soldato
Anyone taken their kids to see age rated movies they're not eligible for recently?

Are they strict on it these days?

Quite fancy going to see Furiosa with my son, but he's 14 and it's rated 15. He's somewhat enormous for his age, having just breached 6ft, if that helps.

Any recent experience?

Soldato
Anyone taken their kids to see age rated movies they're not eligible for recently?

Quite fancy going to see Furiosa with my son, but he's 14 and it's rated 15. He's somewhat enormous for his age, having just breached 6ft, if that helps.

Any recent experience?

They're not going to check, most of the staff don't care too much unless there's a painfully obvious difference.

If he was alone and looked particularly young they might ask for ID, but if you're with him they'll just wave the two of you through.

Last edited:
Soldato

Any recent experience?
He'll have no issues. If he looks young for his age staff might ask for d.o.b.
That's what we were instructed to do back in the days when I worked in a cinema.

Man of Honour
It is ages since I've really bothered much with the cinema but aside from 18+ stuff I've never seen much in the way of checking for any other ratings as long as accompanied by an adult over the years.

Soldato
Once I went to see the Mummy (2nd one) didn't even occur to me it was a 15 rated movie, kids were around 9 &12, sold me the tickets but a few minutes into it a member of staff approached and threw us out lol.
They actually went round the showing to kick you out? Sounds like a right jobsworth.
Fwiw we went to see Godzilla X Kong recently (a 12) and they didn't bat an eyelid to my 7 or 10 year old (realistically it's only the 7 year old that wasn't obviously 12, but I think a couple of years below an age limit is pretty tricky to tell apart). I think it depends on the film too, if it was something like saw and they were 13 then someone would probably say something (which is perfectly justified imo).

Last edited:
Soldato
If they are with their parents they won’t even ask. I brought mine ‘9’ to see Ghostbusters recently which was a 12A and we breezed past, staff didn’t even look up from their phones.

Last edited:
Soldato
If they are with their parents they won’t even ask. I brought mine ‘9’ to see Ghostbusters recently which was a 12A and we breezed past, staff didn’t even look up from their phones.

No reason they would, the onus is purely on the accompanying adult to deem if the film is suitable to watch for the age of child they are taking when they are under 12

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll be fine unless you are unlucky enough to come across one of the 1% ackchyually jobsworths.

This attitude is a feature of a business requiring a licence while the customer has no responsibility.

A failed test purchase or a parent complaining to the council that their child saw a film they shouldn't have and that is a firing angle, on top of a personal fine that's probably more than a months pay and a fine to the licence holder of the business and a review of whether the licence holder is actually competent.

OMG What's the problem, just let us in it's his biiirrrttthdaaAAAaaaAAaaaayyyy :mad:

When did you last gamble so much in your day job :cry:

Caporegime
This attitude is a feature of a business requiring a licence while the customer has no responsibility.

A failed test purchase or a parent complaining to the council that their child saw a film they shouldn't have and that is a firing angle, on top of a personal fine that's probably more than a months pay and a fine to the licence holder of the business and a review of whether the licence holder is actually competent.

OMG What's the problem, just let us in it's his biiirrrttthdaaAAAaaaAAaaaayyyy :mad:

When did you last gamble so much in your day job :cry:

Wowsers, I didn't expect an ackchyually response. I look forward to you turning OPs son away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom