CIS Tax Return

Associate
Hello people!

I was self employed for around 8 months, mainly working as a labourer on construction sites. I'm hoping I can get some money back from the tax I paid. I've been browsing around different accountants online, but I'm unsure on who to use.

Can anyone recommend me a good, and preferably cheap accountant?

Many thanks

Soldato
Is this common? I thought if you were self employed you had to register and pay it yourself?

It's preferred that they pay tax on his behalf.

You can do it yourself and it's honestly really easy. Register with HMRC for self assessment via their website or call centre. Then you'll fill out an online form that guides you through it. Read up on the expenses you can claim for your job such as work boots and the likes. The form should suggest some of these.

If they've been taxing you at a flat 20% you will be due around £1,400 back.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice. I've been having a look and a lot of accountants ask for a CIS statement, which I do not have. I just have purely bank statements to work from. Will this suffice for the self assessment? If this will, self assessment will definitely be the route I take!

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. I've been having a look and a lot of accountants ask for a CIS statement, which I do not have. I just have purely bank statements to work from. Will this suffice for the self assessment? If this will, self assessment will definitely be the route I take!

You keep referencing CIS - have you done everything on this page? http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cis/subcontractors/reg-obs.htm

Self assessment only requires you to enter your earnings and tax paid. I'm guessing there will be a specific section for CIS stuff.

Associate
OP
You keep referencing CIS - have you done everything on this page? http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cis/subcontractors/reg-obs.htm

Yes I've done everything on that page - I keep referencing it as I've never done a tax return before and want to get it right!

Do you not have invoices/payment certificates that show the CIS tax they have been deducting you?

I have no invoices or payment certificates unfortunately. The only proof I have is bank statement.

Whether I've had the wool pulled over my eyes and my tax been pocketed is another matter perhaps!

Soldato
Yes I've done everything on that page - I keep referencing it as I've never done a tax return before and want to get it right!

I have no invoices or payment certificates unfortunately. The only proof I have is bank statement.

Whether I've had the wool pulled over my eyes and my tax been pocketed is another matter perhaps!

Did they tell you that they needed to deduct CIS tax or do you already know this is the case?

If you aren't registered in the CIS scheme and what you do falls in the scope of CIS which it sounds like it does they have to deduct 30%. If you are part of the scheme you should have a letter with your NI, UTR and Tax status on it.

If they are taking tax off you they will have to declare to the HMRC every month what they deduct and also provide you with something that shows what they have deducted. If not you can ask for them to send you the relevant paperwork.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yep I'm registered under the CIS scheme and my boss/gang leader at the time had my UTR number and was paying 20% tax on my behalf.

I was given no deduction statements though ..

Just seen your edit - maybe obtaining these statements are my next port of call?

Soldato
I'm only going off my experience (working in accounts for a construction company) and whenever we pay a subbie we give them a Payment Certificate that states any Tax etc deducted if applicable.

Do you get a payslip?

I know the Subbie we use that has a gang of people pays CIS but I don't know how it would filter down to the people he hires. I'll find out tomorrow :)

Associate
OP
Nope, only thing I got was a text when he transferred the funds over into my bank account!

But I guess it was the same setup - timber frames would be sent to the factory, and my boss (a subbie) would take us to site and we would erect the frames. I did this for around 6 months then was with agencies for another couple of months.

Fortunately I am no longer self employed and on PAYE! - and loving the benefits.

Thanks for the help.

Permabanned
You need to ask for payslips. By law, and specifically under the CIS scheme, he has to give you them.

There are various reasons as to why you may not be getting them, but if you have a UTR you should be getting those documents in support of your SA return.

Associate
OP
Things that complicate things (perhaps?) is during the tax year I have also been on PAYE of which I had a glorious return of about £25. I will be giving the number that Benji posted tomorrow to see the crack!

Associate
Hello people!

I was self employed for around 8 months, mainly working as a labourer on construction sites. I'm hoping I can get some money back from the tax I paid. I've been browsing around different accountants online, but I'm unsure on who to use.

Can anyone recommend me a good, and preferably cheap accountant?

Many thanks

I did mine online myself and got a nice amount back. It's really not hard just read everything properly before filling it out.

Back
Top Bottom