City Fibre

Soldato
Might call them tomorrow.

Do I need to disconnect my old line first, I assume this is going to be brand new cable ran into my house or will it use the current one?

New to this!

If you’ve not had city fibre before, it’ll be a new cable and you won’t need to disconnect your current service before hand (but will need to at some stage so don’t forget)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you’ve not had city fibre before, it’ll be a new cable and you won’t need to disconnect your current service before hand (but will need to at some stage so don’t forget)
Brilliant, I'll probably ask them to stick it in front room, saves dragging cables all around to the back of the house.

Nothing is plugged directly into my router anyway, it's all wireless currently

Associate
City fibre did show up on bidb.uk but it's no longer highlighted as installing in my area.

How else can I find out if/when I'll be getting fibre.

Thanks

Associate
Thank you for the links, most appreciated.

I checked the websites, it says city fibre is stage 2 in my area. I search what postcodes have the FTTP and there are a couple scattered around me that have it. Maybe they paid for it themselfs.

The box on the poll was installed about 8 weeks around outside my house. Just hope it's before Christmas.

Man of Honour
Thank you for the links, most appreciated.

I checked the websites, it says city fibre is stage 2 in my area. I search what postcodes have the FTTP and there are a couple scattered around me that have it. Maybe they paid for it themselfs.

The box on the poll was installed about 8 weeks around outside my house. Just hope it's before Christmas.
Where in the country are you? I know CF have had some set backs in some areas.

I'm in a phase 2 location and it was getting ever closer, then a couple of months ago it just all stopped seemingly overnight.

Soldato
no one installing my 900/900 line Thursday!

A bit of an upgrade from 36m to 900, looking forward to seeing what it can do.

How are the routers from no one? I'll be running everything wirelessly from TV to ring CCTV and laptops / phones.

Soldato
no one installing my 900/900 line Thursday!

A bit of an upgrade from 36m to 900, looking forward to seeing what it can do.

How are the routers from no one? I'll be running everything wirelessly from TV to ring CCTV and laptops / phones.
I would always suggest getting a good router if your running everything wireless, I found the TP-link AX73 very very good until I upgraded to the tp-link GX90

Associate
So i actually decided to move to no one from vodafone who i had issues with. Now getting 7 ping to 1.1.1.1 instead of 16 on vodafone, which is about what i'd probably hope for from Sheffield.

The service activation time was incredible, so because of issues trying to go to talktalk and them cancelling, i decided to issue termination to vodafone and wait until i lost service before ordering with no one.

03/11/23 - 1:00am lost vodafone service
03/11/23 - 9:22am put in order with no one (opted for no equipment)
03/11/23 - 9:22am online account was setup with pppoe details available
04/11/23 - 3:00am service provisioned and live

tldr - no one got my service live in 18 hours from start of order. Yet to see how speeds are during peak time but happy with ping so far

Last edited:
Associate
So i actually decided to move to no one from vodafone who i had issues with. Now getting 7 ping to 1.1.1.1 instead of 16 on vodafone, which is about what i'd probably hope for from Sheffield.

The service activation time was incredible, so because of issues trying to go to talktalk and them cancelling, i decided to issue termination to vodafone and wait until i lost service before ordering with no one.

03/11/23 - 1:00am lost vodafone service
03/11/23 - 9:22am put in order with no one (opted for no equipment)
03/11/23 - 9:22am online account was setup with pppoe details available
04/11/23 - 3:00am service provisioned and live

tldr - no one got my service live in 18 hours from start of order. Yet to see how speeds are during peak time but happy with ping so far
Impressive.

Shame they do not offer landline otherwise I would suggest my parents switch to them.

Associate
Impressive.

Shame they do not offer landline otherwise I would suggest my parents switch to them.
No one? They definitely do offer phone service, VOIP of course like everything is forced to be now. It's £4.99 for PAYG or £7.99 for "Unlimited"(they call it unlimited but it's a fair use policy of 1500 minutes). I can't comment on the set up or quality or anything yet though as I'm still waiting on mine being installed.

Associate
No one? They definitely do offer phone service, VOIP of course like everything is forced to be now. It's £4.99 for PAYG or £7.99 for "Unlimited"(they call it unlimited but it's a fair use policy of 1500 minutes). I can't comment on the set up or quality or anything yet though as I'm still waiting on mine being installed.

Thanks for that I will show them but I don't expect they will go with it price wise £38 a month is a lot of money compared with what they are currently paying which is around £28.

The other issue is that voice service doesn't appear to allow them to use current set of phones meaning they would need to spend hundreds more on new ones.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for that I will show them but I don't expect they will go with it price wise £38 a month is a lot of money compared with what they are currently paying which is around £28.

The other issue is that voice service doesn't appear to allow them to use current set of phones meaning they would need to spend hundreds more on new ones.
I believe they send an adapter out so you can use old phones.

Associate
Just as follow up from No One, getting much better speeds at peak time. Although its not the extra 40mbps (940) download that vodafone tout. I much rather perfer a more solid closer to 900 than dropping down to 500 during peak times.
Graph is 7 day with hourly tests, the large dip was when my sdwan failed over to LTE connection between services.

sop74qI.png

Back
Top Bottom