City of Heroes

Soldato
I bloody knew this had been going on!! Pretty sad it wasn't leaked as soon as NCSoft said no way to selling on the IP. However, moving on from the past:

https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/18/...its-code-to-the-world-but-not-the-characters/

Looking forward to playing again while I wait for Ship of Heroes to release!!

EDIT: Public TEST server is LIVE.

GO. HUNT. KILL SKULS!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofhero...uide_for_preparing_to_join_the_public_server/

(Log in with LOGIN button after registering, even if there is an error, not form)

Discord: https://discord.gg/rPvHX26

EDIT2: OFFLINE for now.

EDIT3: It's ALIVE!

EDIT4: TWO Public Servers now - this is here to stay methinks. Also double XP weekend coming up by the looks of it!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just had an hour sesh with part of it doing a sewer run - was brilliant fun - it's not aged too badly thanks to the graphics update! :)

Once you're out of Atlas Park it's pretty much impossible to get back right now due to a bug (CantFindMap) - the current status is "proof of concept" but they have made amazing progress in a few days!

I love how you don't need the holy trinity to make an effective team in this game. This is the only MMO I ever played and enjoyed - the community is great :)

Edit: Atlas bug is fixed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hitting 1700 players online now! Wow! Great pick up groups - like the old days! :)

Enjoying my scrappy scrapper (Human Flea) again!

Soldato
OP
I played on Union.

I'm playing again as my old main (Human Flea).

We've had nice long stable periods so I've done Frostfire, Atta and a few other arcs :) Bloody amazing fun and the community is still amazing!

Soldato
OP
I played this every day for years, it's where my forum name comes from, it was my global name on Defiant! I didn't play much towards the end, I think I got burnt out and I didn't take to the Pretorian stuff quite as well as the more normal stuff either. I'm not sure I want to go back and sully my memories tbh.
It's just as much fun as it was back then. I'm absolutely loving it.

Soldato
OP
Personally I'm OK with starting from scratch though some of the little buffs from rewards like badge collections, etc. will be a bit of a pain to redo. Infact really enjoyed just playing for an hour at a low level so I really wish they'd get the live servers up and some guarantee it will be around for awhile!
I'm at Level 20 and I'm not in the least bothered about starting again after wipe. Did the Positron TF which was highly confusing on the last mission given it was so long ago. Thankfully my team had better memories :)

If you fancy teaming up give me a shout :)

Soldato
OP
I play as Rroff ingame global handle RroffUK - I'm still on the fence putting too much effort in pre-wipe at the moment and only fairly low level still. Also a bit leery on the potential cease and desist side putting too much effort and having it shutdown again is gonna bite.
I'll probably roll a new character or two anyhow - I'll give you a shout if I'm about - need a break as I'm knackered this evening :)

Soldato
OP
Their attitude towards their customers has always been poor. After they took CoH down I never bought another game from them again.
Likewise. NCSoft are a horrible company and seem to hold their customers in contempt.

Just need to get the binaries out on torrents so people can club together and host in countries where NCSoft will get told to do one.

Soldato
OP
Well the aim is to get i24 released which is still some time away. Those binaries were the SCORE ones which they didn't want to leak out - what the devs were doing is nothing to do with the binaries on that server.

So there is hope, just have to wait :)

Soldato
OP
Not 100% without sorting through what I've got but I think I have almost everything to run a i24 server if I understood enough about it - but still missing 3 rather critical but small .db files and one template :(
As far as I understand it, there were modifications made to the source so it's no longer "vanilla" and is now i25, so there are some incompatibilities between that and the other files. It's why the devs are working on the source - trying to scrub everything back to i24. :)

It was amazing getting to play again and I can wait for another go. It's just as much fun as I remember. :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah hence why the deviate looking to do some optimisation down the line.

Seems there is a lot of misinformation at the moment. Ignore the discord apart from updates.

Soldato
OP
Gutted, but at least I got on and ran around for an hour or so. It looked and played well. No idea if it will ever be fully up and running again, or a case of server hopping.
On another sad note, the self entitlement of people on the internet though is really quite disturbing. Why do people feel the need to post hate towards those trying to bring a much loved game back? Reading those forums and posts makes me sad

I agree and get the idea that those people having an absolute meltdown on the discord are not old school players. Just self-entitled types.

I see it's been on 4chan so that could explain some of the behaviour. The people I played with were all grateful for being able to play at all - General channel in discord is pretty depressing.

I really can't blame Leandro for keeping that server hidden and wanting to filter and vet the community given what we are seeing now but wish the leak had happened years back.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I hope the open approach continues. It'll give choice and regional servers.

What worries me is that we've already seen identity politics arguments on twitter and the discord split. :mad:

I really don't want to see it kicking off when someone gets banned for using the wrong pronoun. I just want to play and not care about real world rubbish! :p

Soldato
OP
I hope we don't get multiple "people" running private servers. I feel one thing that spoilt it back in the day was splitting the community of two servers (Union and Defiant), and then further splitting it when they introduced City of Villains. There were some level ranges that were really hard to find PUGs on, I suspect because of this split.
I imagine what will happen in this case is that the best run ones will survive and it'll condense down to a handful of regional megaservers.

I'd prefer one megaserver but it's a bit tricky when it comes to reasonable latency for all players. I'm also a bit nervous about having the ban hammer hanging there if one trigger-happy, rather sensitive person is in charge of it all.

Soldato
OP
Spent a good two hours last night with a team of 8 hitting missions in The Hollows - one thing I am finding is that previously I played the game on a much lower resolution - now in the middle of frantic action I lose the mouse pointer too easily with everything onscreen LOL - have increased the pointer scale a bit which helps.
I did the same. The option to scale your pointer. Is a life saver :)

Soldato
OP
For people who never played this game, follow the guides and I guarantee you will be addicted. This was the nmo that did everything right but got ditched by the publisher.

Back
Top Bottom