City of Heroes

Man of Honour
Some tentative news the NCSoft might facilitate a community run server if certain conditions are met.

EDIT: Though probably same as before nothing will happen out of it.

Last edited:
Associate
If this doesn't get official approval, and it remains on private servers etc, how would the auction house work, or wouldn't it? Just curious as trying to max out recharge time on powers was a real challenge. I loved that side of it once you'd reached top level

Soldato
OP
I hope the open approach continues. It'll give choice and regional servers.

What worries me is that we've already seen identity politics arguments on twitter and the discord split. :mad:

I really don't want to see it kicking off when someone gets banned for using the wrong pronoun. I just want to play and not care about real world rubbish! :p

Man of Honour
No matter NCsoft accepts or not there will still be private servers. Worked perfectly in the weekend.

Currently there isn't a fully working build in the wild the SCORE version is still mostly with-held, the i24 build incomplete with a mixture of incompatible files. There was a massive effort last night to reverse engineer just getting the server running and accepting connections with some success but still a lot that needs figuring out - atleast the source and mission files (albeit from a different version) seem to be in the wild now and I believe the NPC files as well but I wasn't able to check that last night.

Sadly lots of politics, agendas and BS in play and I suspect the current goings on are stalling tactics on the part of those with access to the working private server in the hope people get bored and go away.

Soldato
I hope we don't get multiple "people" running private servers. I feel one thing that spoilt it back in the day was splitting the community of two servers (Union and Defiant), and then further splitting it when they introduced City of Villains. There were some level ranges that were really hard to find PUGs on, I suspect because of this split.

Soldato
OP
I hope we don't get multiple "people" running private servers. I feel one thing that spoilt it back in the day was splitting the community of two servers (Union and Defiant), and then further splitting it when they introduced City of Villains. There were some level ranges that were really hard to find PUGs on, I suspect because of this split.
I imagine what will happen in this case is that the best run ones will survive and it'll condense down to a handful of regional megaservers.

I'd prefer one megaserver but it's a bit tricky when it comes to reasonable latency for all players. I'm also a bit nervous about having the ban hammer hanging there if one trigger-happy, rather sensitive person is in charge of it all.

Man of Honour
Some serious efforts been made overnight since I went to bed to reverse engineer the server - lots of progress made so hopefully something comes of it.

Supposedly a new private server going up today - keep an eye on score.savecoh.com but I suspect it will be a lot of drama like has already happened :|

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Supposedly new server up but the systems are overloaded completely.

EDIT: Seems to be massive amounts of fragmentation of the community and general BS going on behind the scenes and a lot of splits.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep it's all up and running. Can use previous forum registration and game account from Bree server.
Just been on for a quick 30 mins. Already been shunted to Atlas park version 3. Loads on. Like it's never been away

Associate
Currently there isn't a fully working build in the wild the SCORE version is still mostly with-held, the i24 build incomplete with a mixture of incompatible files. There was a massive effort last night to reverse engineer just getting the server running and accepting connections with some success but still a lot that needs figuring out - atleast the source and mission files (albeit from a different version) seem to be in the wild now and I believe the NPC files as well but I wasn't able to check that last night.

Sadly lots of politics, agendas and BS in play and I suspect the current goings on are stalling tactics on the part of those with access to the working private server in the hope people get bored and go away.

Its very much working. Its the full game. Now its back again. Working very good

Man of Honour
Supposedly a fully working environment for i25 has been leaked - if so cat is out the bag so to speak and NCSoft can't realistically ever shut it down any more.

Associate
Cheers for the updates everyone, wouldn't have known a thing about this had it not been for this thread.
@Rroff, out of interest, where's best to get the latest info? I've just been googling

Back
Top Bottom