Civil War

Hardly that much of a shock it's not doing well, it's a film with War in the title, with very little War going on. Fellowship of the Ring has more "war" in it than Civil War does.
It's not a popcorn flick? the trailer makes it look like civil war: fury road

Last edited:
Not doing that well financially, non-US sales are very, very poor so far with the film only making $58m with just $10 from outside the US on a $50m budget (so about $120m-150m to break even).

100m now

Last edited:
Yeap, the International markets (by which I mean almost entirely the UK) has picked up well as there was a 6/1 difference between US and International box office returns when I originally posted that and its now under 2/1, so a tripling of the International returns which, again, looks to be mainly from the UK at $7.4m alone.

I think this will break even at the BO then make some small profit once the DVD etc drops in a few months which, for A24, is probably a decent outcome.

I've got this queued for the weekend.. I held off as (forgive me) I was not sure if this was just going to be some Hollyweird political messaging attempt, but by all accounts its refreshingly not, so must be worth a watch..

The HT trailer above about summed it up. Easily Garland's weakest film (I hope he does not read this is as his face may implode; please go back to SciFi flicks you sour doe).

Put this on as I fancied a bit of mindless action as that's the impression I got from the trailer, some herp derp war movie. Hadn't registered it was Garland directing.

Totally not what I was expecting, the ****y trailer totally sold it short, but then all trailers are dog poop these days, they manage to make even good movies look awful.

One of the best films I've seen in years, maybe mostly because it surprised me with how good it was, but cinema lately has been leaving me cold and this was such a refreshing change. Beautifully shot and the audio is incredible.

Now sat here on the Apple TV screen after it's finished..... Big image of the statue of liberty with massive explosion behind it and some silhouetted apache gunships...

How TF did they manage to screw up the marketing for this film so badly?

Now sat here on the Apple TV screen after it's finished..... Big image of the statue of liberty with massive explosion behind it and some silhouetted apache gunships...

How TF did they manage to screw up the marketing for this film so badly?

They didn’t. The first two trailers sold it accurately, the final trailer which came out on the week of release was aimed at casuals and getting mainstream bums on seats.

Only people who saw the final trailer went in expecting an action film.

Last edited:
They didn’t. The first two trailers sold it accurately, the final trailer which came out on the week of release was aimed at casuals and getting mainstream bums on seats.

Only people who saw the final trailer went in expecting an action film.
The trailer I saw, and all the imagery and thumbnails out there marketing the film today are way off the mark, and just plain bad, frankly.

The trailer I saw, and all the imagery and thumbnails out there marketing the film today are way off the mark, and just plain bad, frankly.

In your own words that marketing is why you chose to watch it though.

There are only so many Alex Garland fans to market the film at, they did that with the first two trailers which were on point. Anyone who knew about the film pre release and followed it knew it wasn’t a dumb action film.

However the marketing since release is aimed purely at getting bums on seats and recouping costs due to the huge production costs relative to other a24 films. Best way to do that is sell it as something it’s not. If someone comes out of the cinema angry they didn’t see an action film it doesn’t matter, they have already spent their money !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom