Clay bar for cars.....

Soldato
I hear a lot of people mention it in the car cleaning threads, i did my car in meguiers gold class and it turned out allrite, but im wondering if the clay bar is any different and what purpose does it serve, is it an alternative to wax or is it to be used as well as a wax?

Thanks
ROSSI

Caporegime
It is supposed to be used as well as a polish, sealant, and wax. It is a deep cleaner in esscense, will pull ground in crud out of your paintwork (after washing, removes what a normal wash won't).

Soldato
CDj-Rossi said:
I hear a lot of people mention it in the car cleaning threads, i did my car in meguiers gold class and it turned out allrite, but im wondering if the clay bar is any different and what purpose does it serve, is it an alternative to wax or is it to be used as well as a wax?

Thanks
ROSSI

It's basically a lump of plasticine like material, the name clay is misleading. You use it as a surface cleaner before poslishing. Basically you rub it on the bodywork(with lubricant) and it removes stuff like pollen,tree sap, tar and other surface contaminants. This gives you a really smooth clean base to then polish and finally wax.

Suspended
i take it it works equally well on dried on fly guts, the sort that wont come off no matter how much you scrub :)

Does it damage the paintwork at all? Safe on metallic?

Anyone recommend a good one?

Soldato
MNuTz said:
i take it it works equally well on dried on fly guts, the sort that wont come off no matter how much you scrub :)

Does it damage the paintwork at all? Safe on metallic?

Anyone recommend a good one?

Yes it works on all paint types and is non damaging ie it doesn't cut. OCUK sell the meguiars one which comes with a detailing spray/lubricant that does the job as well as any.

Fly guts shouldn't be an issue if you wax properly though.

Suspended
pinkaardvark said:
Yes it works on all paint types and is non damaging ie it doesn't cut. OCUK sell the meguiars one which comes with a detailing spray/lubricant that does the job as well as any.

Fly guts shouldn't be an issue if you wax properly though.

its only a problem with the g/fs car, she has a habit of taking it through the car wash instead of letting me do it so its never had a proper wax yet!

Suspended
Koncordski said:
It'll be covered in hair-fine scratches and swirl marks if it's been anywhere near an automatic car-wash/eastern european with a sponge. :eek:

actually there is very little but ive told her to stop using it anyway as i know the damage they can do to a car.

Caporegime
commited said:
I've seen the word "sealant" used a few times - what is that exactly? I was planning on polishing with super resin polish and then waxing with meguires gold class..

Not 100% sure on how it does what it does, but you apply it after polishing, before waxing, and it adds an extra layer of protectant to the paint.

Caporegime
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

egp.jpg

Soldato
commited said:
I've seen the word "sealant" used a few times - what is that exactly? I was planning on polishing with super resin polish and then waxing with meguires gold class..

Just substitute the word polish for glaze and the word wax for sealant. I still use the terms polish and wax but the pros use glaze and sealant.

Caporegime
eidolon said:
Just substitute the word polish for glaze and the word wax for sealant. I still use the terms polish and wax but the pros use glaze and sealant.

A sealant goes between the polish and the wax, or at least thats what DW has led me to believe. :confused:

Soldato
A sealant like the autoglym product is a chemical that hardens and seals the polished layer. Kinda like a varnish(well maybe not a great comparsion) The autoglym stuff smells like turps andis liquid but you apply it like polish ie wipe on and then buff off. A sealant can be used in place of a wax as they both try to achieve the same aim, ie to offer a protective layer on top of the cleaned/polished surface.

Soldato
OP
So whats the order to do this....

Clay bar the whole car and buff off etc, then polish your car (any suggestions on good polish?), and then wax your car (is gold class good enough?)

If so im going to buy some clay bar and some polish and try it on my car, ive always just shampood the car down, then gone straight to wax.

Associate
wash-clay-polish-wax

with maybe a wash after claying?

edit:check out the detailing world link further up. Site has loads of info and is worth a look around as its forum will answer a shedload of questions.

Back
Top Bottom