Cleaned to a professional standard?

Soldato
They should not have to go above and beyond when reparing the place above how it was when they moved in shouldn't be expected.

If something isn't working now and it wasn't working when they moved in then they shouldn't have to fix it. However if they didn't bother recording/reporting it when they moved in, then sadly they're going to have to fix it.

Soldato
This is wholly wrong, and plain unacceptable.

People are *living* there. They are not flat sitting, and wear and tear will and does happen. Including marks on walls.

It is abhorrent of landlords to expect the place to be spotless like no one had lived there in the time they had leased it. Abhorrent.

I don't think that's what's been asked. If you look at Jambo's list of things to do they are all cleaning and not maintenance tasks.

A flat should be cleaned at the end of a tenancy, wear and tear is something that will get fixed at periodic redecorations, or by the landlord between renters. However dirty marks on the wall that can be removed should be removed, paintwork should be clean, everything should be dust free etc.

Associate
This is wholly wrong, and plain unacceptable.

People are *living* there. They are not flat sitting, and wear and tear will and does happen. Including marks on walls.

It is abhorrent of landlords to expect the place to be spotless like no one had lived there in the time they had leased it. Abhorrent.

I think you misunderstand me.

I don't expect the tenants to go out and buy paint and wall filler. For my situation the landlord left all the paints, wallpapers ect under the stairs which he used to do the house before we moved in. It will take me a few hours to repair what I have damaged by using the materials at hand. But I would not advocate other tenants to go out and buy materials unless they really wrecked the place.

If something isn't working now and it wasn't working when they moved in then they shouldn't have to fix it. However if they didn't bother recording/reporting it when they moved in, then sadly they're going to have to fix it.

Well I don't know the OP's situation and if he hasn't taken any precautions then hopefully he will for the next property, but this would depend on the landlord and if they're honest about the state he let the property.

Man of Honour
Whatever else you do take pictures. Its reasonable to expect tenants to leave accomodation in the state they found it (minus unavoidable wear and tear) its perfectly acceptable to clean it yourself aslong as its to a good standard - if you have photographic evidence that you left it in a good state they don't really have a leg to stand on.

You need to go around the house with agent/landlord and sign it off then and their. Only if there is a dispute which you can't agree on would I take pictures.

Also don't leave the carpet cleaning. If they are in very good nick hire a washer yourself. Big supermarkets do them. If in poor condition get a professional yourself in. Ensuring to keep receipts.

Professional standard just means super clean, no reason you can't do it yourself. Just remember to do hidden places, like top of cabinets or under/behind anything moveable.
Give yourself a minimum of three days with an empty house. Preferably with agent/landlord coming at end of second day. If no arguments sign (get written with both your signatures, with an agreed time frame for deposit if not allready in contract) if any disputes keep keys and you have a day to fix it.
It really is worth doing it yourself and taking time, £600+ is a lot of money.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't think that's what's been asked. If you look at Jambo's list of things to do they are all cleaning and not maintenance tasks.

A flat should be cleaned at the end of a tenancy, wear and tear is something that will get fixed at periodic redecorations, or by the landlord between renters. However dirty marks on the wall that can be removed should be removed, paintwork should be clean, everything should be dust free etc.
It was a direct reply to Tyron. :)

I think you misunderstand me.

I don't expect the tenants to go out and buy paint and wall filler. For my situation the landlord left all the paints, wallpapers ect under the stairs which he used to do the house before we moved in. It will take me a few hours to repair what I have damaged by using the materials at hand. But I would not advocate other tenants to go out and buy materials unless they really wrecked the place.

Well I don't know the OP's situation and if he hasn't taken any precautions then hopefully he will for the next property, but this would depend on the landlord and if they're honest about the state he let the property.

No, tenants should not be expected to repair wear and tear. That is the responsibility of the Landlord. Tenants are not there just to keep the place warm and pay the mortgage. If the wallpaper has some marks on it, the carpet is worn out in places, etc. That is the responsibility of the landlord to replace/repair.

If the tenant causes wilful damage to the property, then they can be held responsible for it.

For a landlord to expect tenants to start replacing wallpaper and getting the paintbrush out is wrong. Just wrong.

Permabanned
If you don't sort it out won't they just hire cleaners and take it out of your deposit? So the only reason to tell you is to give you the opportunity to do the cleaning yourself.

Soldato
Often they'll take it out of the deposit, and not bother getting cleaners. They'll tell you in advance so that you clean it, then claim you didn't do a good enough job.

Man of Honour
Often they'll take it out of the deposit, and not bother getting cleaners. They'll tell you in advance so that you clean it, then claim you didn't do a good enough job.

Demand receipts and use deposit protection if needed.
But if you get it inspected a day or two before you have to be out, you can fix most issues.

don't hire a carpet cleaning machine unless you are 100% certain you are allowed to. so often i have cleaned a place that had previously been cleaned by the tenant. the place was clean but they had to get it done by a pro so ended up paying twice, though our charge was minimal as it was clean and no stains but we had to do it.

you also can get the issue that even if the place gets cleaned by a pro company, the letting agents require you to use their cleaners, and if you don't you'll still be charged for them to clean a spotless place.

What are people being charged or quoted for an end of tenancy clean?

most will tell you the total so this is an impossible question to answer without a single detail.

Soldato
Demand receipts and use deposit protection if needed.
But if you get it inspected a day or two before you have to be out, you can fix most issues.

Yep. Sadly most people don't take those steps, which is why landlords try it on as a matter of course, because they have nothing to lose.

Associate
one of the first places i rented was in a placement year in Spalding (terrible place). anyway, i had the same thing when moving out, my mum was convinced that i'd lose my deposit so she came to clean it all for me. in fairness to me I'd done a decent job so she didn't do much :D

anyway, letting agent came round, saw my mum in rubber gloves and didn't even bother coming in for the inspection and gave me the deposit cheque on the doorstep.

so my advice is get your mum round and get her some rubber gloves :D

Man of Honour
it.

you also can get the issue that even if the place gets cleaned by a pro company, the letting agents require you to use their cleaners, and if you don't you'll still be charged for them to clean a spotless place.

This is called being taken for a ride, stand your ground and use the deposit protection,

Soldato
My experience. Moved out of our first rented house a few years ago and we were told by the really stubborn, moody lady that acted as a half arsed letting agent for our landlord, to get the house cleaned professionally. At a minimum, the carpets had to be cleaned professionally and she passed on details as to who "had" to do them. Obviously the prices were ridiculous. Being our first house we went a bit OTT as didn't know what to expect.
I spent an entire weekend cleaning the house. We borrowed a mates old carpet VAX thing which made the best of stained and very worn (from 7 years use to be fair) carpets. I also went round making good all walls, filling, painting/touching up and sanding them all mint. 7 years worth of me drilling and bodging cables and all sorts I sorted out.
Next day after moving out I forgot something so went back to get something from the house and a painter/decorator let me in. The house was practically in ruins. Everything was getting redone anyway and there was dust/rubbish all over the carpets from the decorating (presumably they were going to get replaced).

Complete waste of my life! lol

Got full deposit back no probs.

When I move out of my current house I'm just going to be realistic and ask them up front what they are doing in the future to the house and what they want me to make good. The carpets were **** cheapo ones and are beyond cleaning as are so worn from general day to day use. I'll personally be doing the minimum possible and will not be stressing over it.

Soldato
I think you have to be as friendly and pleasant about it as you can, ask the questions up front and hope the landlord is sensible enough to work with you, but prepare for the worst, take pictures etc and get ready to fight.

I deal with landlords and I find them to be a bit snobby, a bit selfish and a bit cheap and nasty. However they're not all like that and while there's some real scumbags there's some good old fashioned honest souls.

Soldato
We hired one of those Rug Master jobs from B&Q to clean the carpets which seemed to do the job. We got the boyfriends deposit back so they must have been happy with it.

We wiped everything down including walls and woodwork, filled and painted any visible damage to the walls and that was pretty much it. Provided it looks presentable to the next tenant they are usually happy.

Last edited:
Associate
Been renting for 5 years now, never used a professional cleaners and never lost one jot of my deposits.

Generally we live like people who have very busy lives and don't have a huge care for housework, so the place is generally fairly untidy and we then blitz the place before leaving. The landlords have been so shocked that they give us everything back!

One flat we had 12 pushbikes inside, the landlord initially had an issue but once we explained the value of said bikes, was cool about it. Still got everything back! :D

Back
Top Bottom