Cleaning Inside Computer

Soldato
Take to workshop, strip the externals off, pin fans in place.
140L air compressor to blast most of the dust and debris out, ½" paintbrush to sweep off the thin layer that always remains and to get in all the gaps, grilles, meshes, fan blades, etc.
Repeat airdust and brushing a couple times until satisfied and then reassemble.

I do that once a month. Takes 20 minutes, including carrying it up/downstairs and wrangling three dogs so they don't trip me when I'm carrying it.

bru

bru

Soldato
Just ordered one while on offer, but out of stock. No idea when they will be back in stock.

Hopefully before chrimbo.

Associate
You shouldn't really ever use a vacuum cleaner on electronic components due to the static build up at the end of the nozzle/hoses etc, I've seen this damage components in the past. There's a reason electronics manufacturers, if required, used compressed air lines to clean stuff and not vacuum cleaners ;)

Soldato
One question, surely it just blows the dust around rather than actually sucking it up ?

They work as a stronger compressed air can blowing stuff out they don't suck, but instead of having to use 1 or maybe 2 cans for really covered PC's such as ones on farms 30 seconds - 1 minute with this gets them good as new. It paid for itself within a month and we've had ours going on two years now still works fine but the power lead is starting to show wear and tear.

Soldato
You shouldn't really ever use a vacuum cleaner on electronic components due to the static build up at the end of the nozzle/hoses etc, I've seen this damage components in the past. There's a reason electronics manufacturers, if required, used compressed air lines to clean stuff and not vacuum cleaners ;)

So long as it remains plugged into the wall it'll still be grounded surely. I've used the vac nozzle and brush method for years without issue admittedly its plastic rather than metal. Its amazing the nooks and crannies that accumulate dust I can't reach the fan behind the hdd caddies I'm not even sure how to remove those. The removable dust filter on the front still looks filthy even after a major de-dusting I might just put it in the dishwasher next wash.

Which type of paintbrush do you recommend? Natural or synthetic bristles?

Anything that works lol. Softer is better than stiff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which type of paintbrush do you recommend? Natural or synthetic bristles?
Whatever you have available, I guess...
Some synthetics are good at static dissipation, other brushes do just as well when made from goat or horse hair. Both find use in camera and electronics maintenance, photographic development, painting applications, animal care, artefact restoration, fashion grooming... depends how much you want to spend and how worried you are about static discharge.

Soldato
Use search and see how many time it has been asked and answered, buy a DataVac or the new alternatives.

metro-datavac-electric-duster-8.jpg

Metro-Data-Vac-Pro-Series.jpg

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/it-d...uster-and-vacuum-suck-and-blow-kb-004-id.html

suck and blow lmfao lol..

Associate
So long as it remains plugged into the wall it'll still be grounded surely. I've used the vac nozzle and brush method for years without issue admittedly its plastic rather than metal. Its amazing the nooks and crannies that accumulate dust I can't reach the fan behind the hdd caddies I'm not even sure how to remove those. The removable dust filter on the front still looks filthy even after a major de-dusting I might just put it in the dishwasher next wash.

Anything that works lol. Softer is better than stiff.

Nope, grounding only applies to certain areas of the board, stuff like RAM isn't part of that, it's only really the metalwork and earth planes of the motherboard that gets grounded. It's scary how much damage vacuuming stuff like PC's can do, I've seen it with my own eyes!

Soldato
I take my PC base unit & keyboard outside and use my 50ltr air compressor with an air gun to clean them
Guessing I do this about once every 3 to 6 months.

But my PC doesn't really get much dust inside it as the intake fans have dust filters which are cleaned about every 4 to 8 weeks
(or when I take the side panel off and remember to clean them :p)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom