Cleaning PC with 24V vaccum

Associate
Hi,

I'm aware you shouldn't vacuum the inside of your PC as the electronics are sensitive to static electricity.
My question is, is it safe to do so with a hand held 24V battery powered vacuum cleaner?

Associate
My understanding is that no, you shouldn't put a hoover anywhere near a computer. Generally speaking hoovers generate tons of static electricity and that's something you really dont want near your components. Use compressed air or a "blower" unit instead.

Soldato
Never had anything bad happen to all the computers i have used the method i mentioned.

the problem is that static electricity is unlikely to cause any immediate problems. it's more likely that it will simply shorten the natural life span of any components affected. you ever have a ram stick randomly die or a gpu give up the ghost?

of course they could just die any way, but there's always the chance that the hoovering you gave it a month previously might just have been the death sentence.

my personal view is don't use something that can cause unnecessary damage when there are safer alternatives. it's the same reason I'll advise anyone to use an antistatic wrist band when doing any work inside their pc, probably not needed, but why take the risk when it can be avoided?

Associate
Just cleaned out my PC, took it outside and used a garden vac on blow to give it a good blast out. If your PC is neat and tidy inside anyway then nothing will get disconnected.

Soldato
Those low power vacs should be ok, but I wouldn't use a full size mains powered one. Compressed air is best though.

Last edited:
Associate
I use one on my rads on the outside of the case just cos short of my compressor (10 miles away in the workshop) nothing else will clean them out, air cans are useless there.

Soldato
I use a vacum when cleaning my pc but i use a soft paint brush to loosen the dust and hold the vacum nozzle a couple of inches from the brush to extract .

Me too, blowing the dust out just blows it into the room and a 5 minute coughing fit as a result.

Even if it weren't earthed the metal case is a huge capacitance reservoir, it'd take an awful lot of static to charge that up. If the components are lying around on bench I could understand it.

I take mine for a quick dip in the bath. I make sure to scrub properly in-between the fan blades and I blow away all the bubbles. Like new.

whoops didn't realise this was general hardware, not general discussion :o

Anyway I use a hoover sometimes, but just for general cleaning now and then. I hold it a bit back and don't get in too close as I am cautious. I used compressed air to blow-out hard to reach areas though if I wanna do a more thorough clean (which I will prob be doing soon since 'cause of the summer heat :p)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom