Cleaning Watercooled PSU

Associate
Hi guys. I'm trying to restore an old (and filthy) watercooled gaming rig. I don't have experience with watercooling so am approaching this side of things with caution.

I've dismantled everything and bought a Mayhems Blitz Pro cleaning kit, but I'm a little stumped as to what I can (safely) do to the watercooled PSU.

It's a Koolance 1300W Liquid-Cooled PSU. I drained the coolant inside - expecting it to be the coloured fluid from the rest of the loop - but discovered it had been full of its own, clear fluid. Is it safe to fill it back up with any coolant? How much? Can I risk adding too much?

As it appears to be somewhat self-contained I'm hoping it's not quite as dirty as the rest of the system, but imagine there's probably some degree of algae or other crap in there. Would running the loop with Mayhem Blitz actually do anything to the PSU, or should I take specific steps towards cleaning it?

(Apologies if these are very noobish questions!)

Don
No, don't put water in - the coolant is directly cooling mains voltage components so it needs to be completely inert and non-conducting. Even distilled water will become conductive over time.

Associate
OP
Got a reply from Koolance:

Hello,
We haven't had any of the non-conductive fluid in a long time.

If you try to source non-conductive fluid elsewhere I would warn you of companies that use that label on fluids that actually are conductive.

You'll know you've found a truly non-conductive fluid when you see the price tag.

Don't suppose anyone wants to buy an empty PSU? :D

Associate
OP
Watercooling's been giving me a headache from the start. I think I'm going to just play to my strengths: eBay all the watercooling components, offer the PSU for cheap/free on top, and use the proceeds to buy air cooling that I understand and can't possibly pour down the sink.

Soldato
Watercooling's been giving me a headache from the start. I think I'm going to just play to my strengths: eBay all the watercooling components, offer the PSU for cheap/free on top, and use the proceeds to buy air cooling that I understand and can't possibly pour down the sink.
If you have a large sink you might still could...

Back
Top Bottom