CM Hyper 212 EVO TIM Application

Soldato
I found the page. This is how I applied the TIM. Article here

HDT_TIM_Application_Two_Lines.jpg

That's a great article, many thanks for sharing! CM212 Evo does not have such massive gaps between heatpipes as the cooler in their pictures (was it CM 212+ ?), but the core idea of applying TIM in lines is sound.
Cheers!

Associate
That's a great article, many thanks for sharing! CM212 Evo does not have such massive gaps between heatpipes as the cooler in their pictures (was it CM 212+ ?), but the core idea of applying TIM in lines is sound.
Cheers!

I'm not sure what the cooler in the article is, but I'm using a CM 212 Evo.

The photo below is my 212 with lines photoshopped in to show when I added the TIM.

Currently stability testing my OC. Running Prime95 for two hours so far at 4.8ghz 1.352v, max 70c but mostly 65c.

(click for full res)
ZgfKPl.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for that again:)

The postie has just brought my 212 Evo, so I'm off to install it - using your "2 lines" method of course:)

Soldato
Yay, it works and its fantastic! Just did a quick Prime test and it is 20-25C cooler than my Freezer7 (albeit the latter was sporting a superglued base).
The gaps between the heat pipes are minuscule- less than 0.1mm imo, some photos above really make them look bigger than they are. There wont be any heatspots on the CPU with 212 Evo, I'm pretty sure about that:)

Great stuff, now I need to tweak my OC, I've just noticed that it runs at 1.371v (@4.3GHz), need to bring it down below 1.35...

Thanks for your help, Nick!:)

Associate
OP
I can confirm that this "2 line method" seems to work better then the "blob method", as I did test both methods on a Intel Celeron G530 at stock (waiting for 3770k and upgrading from an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+).

The "Blob method" provided a idle of 17c and load of 28c, while running Prime95.

The "2 line method" provided a idle of 12c and load of 23c, while running Prime95.

Results obviously varies on case cooling and setup, but this cooler is indeed amazing.

Associate
I can confirm that this "2 line method" seems to work better then the "blob method", as I did test both methods on a Intel Celeron G530 at stock (waiting for 3770k and upgrading from an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+).

The "Blob method" provided a idle of 17c and load of 28c, while running Prime95.

The "2 line method" provided a idle of 12c and load of 23c, while running Prime95.

wow, quite a difference! Good to know, thanks

this cooler is indeed amazing

:D

Associate
Yay, it works and its fantastic! Just did a quick Prime test and it is 20-25C cooler than my Freezer7 (albeit the latter was sporting a superglued base).
The gaps between the heat pipes are minuscule- less than 0.1mm imo, some photos above really make them look bigger than they are. There wont be any heatspots on the CPU with 212 Evo, I'm pretty sure about that:)

Great stuff, now I need to tweak my OC, I've just noticed that it runs at 1.371v (@4.3GHz), need to bring it down below 1.35...

Thanks for your help, Nick!:)

How did you find the fit? I've got the same mobo (and CPU and GFX :p) and it looks like it'll be tight for the fan to fit by the RAM.

Soldato
How did you find the fit? I've got the same mobo (and CPU and GFX :p) and it looks like it'll be tight for the fan to fit by the RAM.

The fit was was no problem at all. :) Mind you I've got Corsair 1600MHz Vengence Blue LOW PROFILE RAM. But I believe that even taller ram sticks would be ok - like I said, the cooler is quite tall, and some of that due to biggish gap between the foils and the cpu contact plate. I was more concerned if it would fit inside the case to be honest - like I said above it needs at least 160mm clearance.

Associate
Wooo got mine looking good...wont be fitting until next week when I build my new pc...

Has anyone put a second fan on these? Is it worth it and will any fan do as I think I have a spare one somewhere....

Edit - I found it I have a spare - Akasa AK-191-SM Smoke Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3 pin - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-037-AK&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4

The extra fan only has 3pin header so it would always be going at 1400 RPM....is this ok....will it wont matter that EVO fan may be pushing at a slower speed will it?

Last edited:
Associate
Edit - I found it I have a spare - Akasa AK-191-SM Smoke Ultra Quiet 120mm Fan - 3 pin - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-037-AK&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=4

The extra fan only has 3pin header so it would always be going at 1400 RPM....is this ok....will it wont matter that EVO fan may be pushing at a slower speed will it?

Personally, I would use two of the same fans, with a PWM splitter cable. But others say it doesn't matter too much.

Test it and post the results

Associate
OP
It's ok to use a faster different brand fan for the push n pull upgrade, also having it on the pull setting will be most effective. As cool air is slowly pushed in the heatsink from the CM Fan then the hot air is rapidly pulled out from your Akasa; increasing heat removal.

If both fans was in vice versa positions heat will be slowly pulled out of the heatsink which will have less effect on heat removal.

A lot of people say its worth it, personally I never tried it but it seems to be worth it in my head.

Nick's Method is also good though however :p

Last edited:
Associate
Ok build all done!! All working fine and used the two line approach.....my hand was not crazy steady so I may have put a bit to much on but oh well all seems fine it ideals around 25 in a warm room (Girlfriend like it warm) and this is with an extra 1400RPM fan attached pulling air out….Here is pic -

fan.jpg

Back
Top Bottom