Coca Cola Can PC

cant believe my internet just shut down last night it was taking 5 minutes to upload one pic, can anyone suggest somewhere better to host my pics than photo bucket.
Ive just set aload of pics to upload while im in work all day so hopefully they will be ready when i get back.

Ok I shall try answer some of your questions - here goes!

I could always do with some good advice on the hardware.
I want the ASUS sabertooth z87 Mother board because i like the look of it and it will be on show through a window.

Yep, excellent motherboard so if you like it - stick with this one. The only thing is that it is not Coca Cola colours! What about the MAXIMUS VI HERO or VI FORMULA? I have specced the hero below.

I will probably go for an I5 CPU 4670 or the K. I don't know what the difference is other than you can overclock the K i think? Ive never tried overclocking before.

If you want an i5 (you do! or an i7 if you have the budget) then the K version makes sense, especially with your chosen motherboard. The price difference isn't massive (£6 at the mo!) and overclocking should be so simple with that motherboard, you should get an extra 1GHz out of the CPU with very little stress. There are hundreds of youtube videos to guide you through it or just search these forums/ start a new thread and we will guide you through it. Or just leave it at stock, it's still a beast CPU :p

I want it to be powerful and smooth operation but i don't think I will get into gaming very often other than a bit of gta modding which is usually rough anyway. The pc will be a server to my TV mostly TBH.
Ive had a good quote through my local computer shop £429.99 MB, CPU and 2 4gb ram as above so im tempted by that price to just stick with what ram they have for now.

MB + CPU + 8GB RAM (all red and black to match your theme )
YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £167.99
1 x Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £157.99
1 x TeamGroup Vulcan RED 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLD38G2400HC11CDC01) £65.99
Total : £401.57 (includes shipping : £8.00).

You could stick a Coca Cola sticker over the Intel sticker on the cooler - or go for a better CPU cooler if you are going to overclock. Also white RAM sticks could work - not sure there is a white and red motherboard in existence...

The rest of the equipment will include two slot load dvd drives (maybe a 3D one but not necessary) i will get a main SSD for the operating system and plan to have space to add more but i have loads of old sata drives i can use for extra storage for now.
Ive bought the memory card reader, fan controller and worse thing is im praying ive bought the right fans now? :(

Yep can’t see any issues here – by 3D I assume you mean 3D blu-ray drive? A slot loading one will no doubt be expensive.
As for SSD’s – the best ones around at the mo are Samsung Evo drives, but if budget is tight then the 120GB Kingston ones are excellent and you won’t really notice a performance difference at all in day-to-day usage:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 Drive SATA 6Gb/s 3 2.5" (7mm height) Solid State Hard Drive - (SV300S37A/120G) £59.99

I also need to find someone to make me some metal front display panels to fit all this stuff too.
Then im adding some usb 3.0 sockets in the door moulds this should be easy enough but im confused on the best way to make the sockets powered.

The motherboard will have a header to power 2x USB3 ports (in addition to the 4 on the rear panel), so you will be able to hook up the ports you are installing directly to the motherboard in one way or another. What ports are you installing? Is it a pre-built USB3 box or something else?

Im bending my mind on what to do for monitors because i want the can to be standalone and without a monitor nearby or on top etc so i have a small monitor with my old pc and a large 3D tv to use for a monitor but i dont know whether to get a wireless HDMI transmitter, i hear bad things about them but its about 10ft away from each other and i dont want to run a cable if i can help it.

There is the two 7'' VGA monitors and im going to have to convert them to hdmi with another adapter off ebay or something just so i don't damage the frame when threading the cables between the door and the main body i need a smaller adapter so hdmi seems the best solution because of the size of the adapters.

Not sure about wireless HDMI, never used it so can’t comment there.
The 2x 7” VGA monitors, I assume these are going to be built into the shell and connected to the PC inside yeah? If the monitors only have VGA inputs (analog) then yes you will need some converters to go from the graphics card to the screens – will need some more info on the screen’s connections and deciding on what graphics card to install will dictate which adapter you will need.

Oh and i would love to add some water cooling with a coke coloured liquid running through seems a cool idea but most people are saying i shouldn't bother. Plus again ive never done it before.

Would be cool for sure, it is expensive though. OCUK do a pre-filled watercooled loop which you can choose the colour of the liquid. Black was the closest I could find but you could mix your own to get a coke colour (probably a mix of a few colours to get dark brown!)

YOUR BASKET
1 x OcUK Tech Labs Fathom All in One Custom Cooler 120mm £102.97
- 1 x XSPC EX120 120mm Radiator - Black £31.99
- 1 x Mayhems Pastel - Pure Black Coolant 1L £14.99
Total : £159.55 (includes shipping : £8.00).

Colour is of course wrong in the image but you get an idea of cost.

Last edited:
First off as you can probably see i had to remove the top part of the can and wrap the top circle in red.
100_1431.jpg

100_1430.jpg

I also had to remove the top of the can (lid) by heating the glue and prying off.
100_1421.jpg

100_1415.jpg

100_1419.jpg

100_1420.jpg

Next i have set about with the pipe i am using for the wires, its a 35mm pipe where i cut two 38mm holes into. I still have some edge trim to go around the holes yet.
100_1538.jpg

100_1539.jpg

100_1540.jpg

100_1541.jpg

100_1542.jpg

100_1546.jpg

100_1543.jpg

100_1544.jpg

100_1553.jpg

100_1545.jpg

100_1548.jpg

The monitors needed a test coat of paint (mainly cause i was bored and had a spare) lucky i did though cause im going to tape up the pop out buttons on the sides when the last screen arrives then spray as they are a bit stiff once painted.
100_1569.jpg

2014-02-09194755.jpg

100_1571.jpg

I wrapped the monitor too and it looks more impressive up close.
100_1572.jpg

100_1573.jpg

100_1574.jpg

100_1575.jpg

100_1582.jpg

100_1576.jpg

100_1579.jpg

Now for the front panels im hoping to have a lift up metal/alluminium? front panel on gas struts.
At this stage i had the idea of a drawer in the bottom too. However im starting to realize this will have to be a sort of cupboard. so i dont know whether to move the coca cola bottle opener/ handle.

I needed to visualize this so i made a plastic front panel (i got this for free as it was a work display board they were throwing) so i cut it up and used it as a temporary front panel.
100_1443-1.jpg

100_1444-1.jpg

100_1442-1.jpg

100_1504-1.jpg

Then i cut it into two parts and wrapped and mocked up temporary panels. These will be metal when finished.
100_1514-1.jpg

100_1513-1.jpg

100_1517-1.jpg

100_1512-1.jpg

100_1516-1.jpg

Now you may have noticed the crudely cut piece of clear plastic in the pics this will be a center point for my two front panels to form the swoosh.

Once i cut and wrapped the plastic you can see the idea i am going for hopefully (will be replaced with a red metal)

I am terrible at cutting this stuff and i will get the swoosh more precision cut with the metal however i have recently picked up something special to go in the middle :)

well just a little bit here for you to see today but i will add more tonight.

Different, don't think I have every seen a computer coca cola can :)

As some suggested you should contact coke and see if they will sponsor send you anything free :)

Enjoy.

Sorry for the short post this morning with all the uploading and internet issues i have had for a few days i decided to post while it was working. Thank you walderx for your thorough post, the information was much needed. I seen the motherboards you mentioned and i dont know why but i just keep coming back to the sabertooth.
The monitors are the old VGA crt style connectors and i can find a few ways to convert these now. I will revert back to your post when making my decision though. I like the watercooled cooler you shown, i was looking at similar versions of this but have not seen one with the coolant and clear tubes. (my plan if it will work is to add this to the front with some holes cut in the top front panel to butt up against the fan when the panel is closed so it has its own dedicated area for air intake).

Pictures
So with my original plans for the bottom drawer, i tried all sorts to get this to work. The space for the drawer is merely 14cm deep and i could not even cut some down as it was not smooth enough or big enough for any decent storage.
canclosed.jpg

100_1519.jpg

100_1518.jpg

100_1520.jpg

100_1521.jpg

Instead this will have to be put on hinges but i dont really want to start screwing them in until i have the metal panels.

So instead i am starting to prepare the space to fit the extension cable (to give more access to the plugs)
I bought two of these cable bungs and fitted them but unfortunately they are a bit too small but the largest i could buy and i thought i would just get away with it. they are about 1mm out in size so i am thinking of adding some sticky foam to hold in place.
100_1623.jpg

100_1624.jpg

100_1625.jpg

I got the pc case cut next for the fan holes.
100_1554.jpg

After sanding, spraying and fitting in place i wanted to cover the rough bottom of the case so i also bought some mesh and got to work cutting it in place.
I also fitted the black edge trim around the edge of the case.
100_1586.jpg

100_1602.jpg

100_1601.jpg

I then sprayed it red and fitted it in place. Along with the edge trim.
100_1603.jpg

100_1604.jpg

100_1605.jpg

100_1609.jpg

100_1606.jpg

100_1607.jpg

100_1608.jpg

Meanwhile i was working on wrapping the shelf in carbon fiber wrap.
100_1626.jpg

100_1627.jpg

The case is starting to look like i imagined it now.
100_1610.jpg

100_1616.jpg

100_1615.jpg

100_1621.jpg

I bought some black PCI covers and i reckon this is almost finished.
100_1612.jpg

100_1611.jpg

100_1618.jpg

100_1616.jpg

I have ordered a new piece of frosted clear acrylic custom made from a local plastic cutters.
whitepanelguide.jpg

I have just ordered some more carbon fiber and the 114mm hole saw and arbor to cut the rear fan holes in the outer casing, more to come on this though.
And my second monitor has now arrived today!
That's all for now more to come later! and a massive thanks for following my project guys.

Looking good mate! I'm wondering if those 2 fans on the bottom of the PC case will have quite restricted airflow with the 2 meshes on there? Will make them noisier too. I could be wrong and perhaps you have already tested it but just a thought.

EDIT: looking at the pictures again I think it will be fine, it's akin to having a dust filter and PC case mesh so I'm sure air will flow ok

Last edited:
Looking good mate! I'm wondering if those 2 fans on the bottom of the PC case will have quite restricted airflow with the 2 meshes on there? Will make them noisier too. I could be wrong and perhaps you have already tested it but just a thought.

EDIT: looking at the pictures again I think it will be fine, it's akin to having a dust filter and PC case mesh so I'm sure air will flow ok

Im hoping it will work and ive been unable to test them however the artic f8 fans are surprisingly powerful. Im adding sticky foam strips all over the case to eliminate any air holes in the design, to keep it flowing properly. I did cut the mesh and the black covers are dust filters so i was hoping that would be enough.
Along with a seperate fan mounted near the front panel so when closed it will have its own cooling for the cpu right from the front.
Then the psu will be mounted at the top so hopefully that will draw in the air and exhaust it through the top rear fan.

I think 'hi-fi' may be pushing it a little- if memory serves, the SQ was pretty poor!

The sound was not great but not bad when listening to the radio. They must be 25 years old or sumwhat, but to be fair they did a good job of filling the room with sound. I remember my old one had a dodgy door speaker connection though, which was one of the reasons i got rid of it (if only i knew it was that easy to fix).
They are only cheap speakers, and i dont think the casing could take the rattle of anything bigger. Which is why im fingers crossed when it comes to replacing them with 3 way component speakers, there wont be any rattle or its another £15-20 to sound proof them (if that would do anything at all). The casing is thin.

They were wired strangely though. The speakers are connected then they connect to a point on the hinges, and the same on the other hinge then to the stereo. The sound goes through the hinges and keeps it wire free.
This i cannot replicate because of the power and connector cables so i am having to braid them i reckon and just have them showing through the doors, hopefully it wont effect the opening and closing too much.

Ive just order a kingston 120gb SSD based on your previous advice walderx, its supposedly the v300 model. I had $90 on amazon gift cards to use up somehow so that covered the SSD. Only a month to deliver the darn thing!

I have also bought some EL panels for the build and once cut i will show you all my plans for these. I got a cracking deal but im not sure if i can post the link to the site?

Originally i planned to cover the entire insides (pretty much everywhere im doing carbon fiber wrap now) in a coca cola bubbles pattern. Then i could not find any material/ pattern to match this.
Hence why i chose carbon fiber but admittedly this will look better in CF.
However i have since found a blue window film with raindrops effect from dc fix, this was the perfect pattern! I wanted it in brown but it was not available.

So i have now found some orange vinyl on ebay and once i put these together (i will take some pictures and show you soon) the pattern is now exactly what i was originally after! Brown bubbles.
I have ordered enough to cover the outer casing on the inside so instead of the red background you see in the can this will look like coca cola liquid bubbles! (I reckon with an orange led uplighter it will look like coke).
Ive paid for the new roll of carbon fiber now for the doors, so i doubt i will bother covering the doors in bubbles like i originally wanted but it will look better this way.
I will try and get some pics of this now, if i can find my camera charger!

Ok i can only take iphone pics so sorry for the poor pics, they were the best of the bunch. I only have enough orange film to cover the back so i didnt want to use that for a demo (i will use this orange film when the hole saw arrives and the fan holes are cut) instead i have used orange card to give the same effect.
Heres the blue/ clear bubbles thick window film.
afccb91e0b11a5f4ec0dac7375d3c480.jpg

Heres the orange beneath the vinyl.
f15de35f55eb9680aa1f6d45b77b0852.jpg

Here it is up close, sorry for the camera glare.
2ae66a8f2747b37c8790630e7cc62b0d.jpg

Imagine this inside the can, so you can only see it through the clear perspex or if and when the front is opened.
What do you think? I dont want it to look tacky but it will be keeping with the theme.

Last edited:
That looks so awesome! :D I like it :) ^_^

Never seen someone make a computer in this form before, never knew you could do it. Unless you were going to void copyright rules (due to copying Coca Cola of course).

I may look into building something like this. :)

Looks more interesting than the original computer builds.

I was wondering about that. But I guess it's merely recycling- the product licensing was taken care of by Akura (I think that's who made those systems) in the first place, and as long as the finished rig is kept by you for personal use, I couldn't see CCSB having an issue with it.
If it went well, and you decided to make a few of them to sell on, you could get a letter...

I was wondering about that. But I guess it's merely recycling- the product licensing was taken care of by Akura (I think that's who made those systems) in the first place, and as long as the finished rig is kept by you for personal use, I couldn't see CCSB having an issue with it.
If it went well, and you decided to make a few of them to sell on, you could get a letter...

+1

I'm wondering how much it cost him to build all of this.

What's his budget? (£1000 or more)

I wouldn't sell them because they're quite risky; someone may find out or take the wrong impression and think you're copying "Coca Cola". Which would confuse you and make you get into a slight bit of trouble, maybe even a fine or having to pay money because of copying Coca Cola.

Back
Top Bottom