Coconut oil and your opinion re fat loss?

Soldato

Seems like there are plenty of YouTube videos about this and lots of info on the internet, but can anyone else here vouch for it??

"ramping metabolism up by 48% for upto 24 hours"

if this is the case I'm seriously interested.

rotters

Well quick google says there's been no clinical trials on it.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/alternative/coconut-oil2.htm

I was using coconut oil, but switched to olive oil/beef dripping/butter. I did lose weight and still am but then I'm calorie deficient ATM.

The lack of clinical reserch in such areas is very annoying, the few that have been done are either not on humans
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20691812

If I ever won the lottery I would so fund clinical reserch I these areas.

Also and slightly unrelated. Satuarted fat, cholestrol and hi carb-low fat and high protein- low carb reserch so far and well it doesn't stack up very well and just look at the patient hours of reserch, compared to much new stuff.

http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1133027

Last edited:
Nah, that video is just standard youtube health nonsense. An unqualified guy making bold claims about something with reference to some studies that probably don't exist. Drop some buzzwords like 'metabolism' in there and you've got profit.

There's no harm in giving it a try though. Given how much more expensive it is than the normal oil you'd use to cook with, you are quite likely to use less and therefore be eating less fat. If you objective is fat loss however, I'd strongly recommend you ignore his advice about starting the day with a nice big delicious heaped tablespoon of the stuff. It's basically akin to sticking your spoon in the butter dish, and probably one of the most efficient ways of consuming about 150 calories for no reason.

I love the stuff myself and eat several tablespoons of it everyday, and being a very highly saturated fat/oil it's great for cooking/frying in too, it doesn't lose it's flavour and taste rank when heated like the polyunsaturated oils seem to do.

It's a very good food IMO op'r, I'd definitely recommend you try some. Get a good quality Virgin oil as they are cold pressed and don't undergo any of the other forms of processing/refining that can ruin the oil.

Nah, that video is just standard youtube health nonsense. An unqualified guy making bold claims about something with reference to some studies that probably don't exist. Drop some buzzwords like 'metabolism' in there and you've got profit.

There's no harm in giving it a try though. Given how much more expensive it is than the normal oil you'd use to cook with, you are quite likely to use less and therefore be eating less fat. If you objective is fat loss however, I'd strongly recommend you ignore his advice about starting the day with a nice big delicious heaped tablespoon of the stuff. It's basically akin to sticking your spoon in the butter dish, and probably one of the most efficient ways of consuming about 150 calories for no reason.

Not really, fats do have an impact on your metabolism, and this massive fad with fat free foods is one of the main reasons for the degradation of people's health, because when fat is stripped from food, so is flavour, so to combat that, they add a crap load of sugar to bring the flavour back.

It's shocking how many people believe that dietary fat equates to body fat.

Sounds like snake oil to me. Eat less. Exercise more. Job done.

Not really, it's not as simple as this. Saturated fat is actually incredibly good for you, and does have an impact on metabolism, plus fat rich foods help with feeling satiated for longer, meaning you're less likely to snack as you feel full for longer.

Yes, really, it is.

Not really, this is the only clinical trial I can find that is related. Which suggests it maybe of some benefit. But it's far to restricted trial and far to narrow. Like usual, we need more reserch

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437058
The effects of dietary supplementation with coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting waist circumferences (WC) >88 cm (abdominal obesity) were investigated. The randomised, double-blind, clinical trial involved 40 women aged 20-40 years. Groups received daily dietary supplements comprising 30 mL of either soy bean oil (group S; n = 20) or coconut oil (group C; n = 20) over a 12-week period, during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day. Data were collected 1 week before (T1) and 1 week after (T2) dietary intervention. Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged. At T1 there were no differences in biochemical or anthropometric characteristics between the groups, whereas at T2 group C presented a higher level of HDL (48.7 +/- 2.4 vs. 45.00 +/- 5.6; P = 0.01) and a lower LDL:HDL ratio (2.41 +/- 0.8 vs. 3.1 +/- 0.8; P = 0.04). Reductions in BMI were observed in both groups at T2 (P < 0.05), but only group C exhibited a reduction in WC (P = 0.005). Group S presented an increase (P < 0.05) in total cholesterol, LDL and LDL:HDL ratio, whilst HDL diminished (P = 0.03). Such alterations were not observed in group C. It appears that dietetic supplementation with coconut oil does not cause dyslipidemia and seems to promote a reduction in abdominal obesity.

But no difference in weight between the two groups, which is odd or at least to a laymen like me.

As for taking it purely for the claim, there's nothing to back that claim up. But neither is there relevant reserch to debunk the claim either.

Last edited:
Saw my friend cooking with this once and it really surprised me. Apparently it's quite commonly used in south India. In north India though, we use coconut oil to put in our hair; not to cook with.

Saw my friend cooking with this once and it really surprised me. Apparently it's quite commonly used in south India. In north India though, we use coconut oil to put in our hair; not to cook with.

Surprisingly I found for more clinical trials on coconut oil as hair and skin conditioner than for diapered purposes.

Clinical trials show it helps hear and reduces breakages which means the strands of hair are thicker all the way along.

MCTs

That is all.

MCTs are fantastic.

Coconut oil is fantastic.

They alone won't necessarily create fat loss (though this is open for debate), but they will certainly help accelerate and act as a catalyst it if your putting your body in the right hormonal state (i.e. by exercise, and calorific deficit, etc....),

Cocunut oil is 2/3rds MCT.

Last edited:
MCTs

That is all.

MCTs are fantastic.

Coconut oil is fantastic.

They alone won't necessarily create fat loss (though this is open for debate), but they will certainly help accelerate and act as a catalyst it if your putting your body in the right hormonal state (i.e. by exercise, and calorific deficit),

Cocunut oil is 2/3rds MCT.

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly do you mean by MCT? A quick google failed me and I'm pretty damn tired so I'm probably missing something obvious that I should know.

edit: I'm dumb - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-chain_triglycerides

Medium Chain Triglyceride. :)

It's quite commonly used in the gym rat & nutrition world. Apologies, I thought I was in the sports forum! :o

It's quite interesting anyhow to be honest. I lurk in that forum a little now and again.

Do you simply use it to cook food in or as something you take a 'dose' of in addition to other food or... some kind of replacement for your calorific intake?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom