Coffee grinder recommendations

Associate
Been looking at the sage dose control at £118 currently. Would prefer cheaper if there’s a gem out there that performs above its price grade!

I have a sage bambino plus machine fyi

Any suggestions?

Soldato
I have a Eureka Mignon grinder and was happy to spend almost £300 on it. May be better options now but the was the single biggest element of overall espresso prep.

I think for price/performance the Sage is a good choice but depending on how into it you want to get (occasional drink versus all-consuming hobby), you’re at the lower end and may want to upgrade. FWIW I almost bought one of those too but I wanted to invest in something a bit higher end and more repairable. Just my experience, you may be very happy with the Sage.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a grinder on Amazon years ago imported from Germany, was cheap like £40 still going.

Only criticism is really loud, and getting fine adjustments on grind amount is pretty fiddly.

Edit: this one.

SEVERIN Grinder coffee grinder with electric grinder (100 W, stainless steel disc grinder, max. capacity 150 g) black/silver, KM 3874 https://amzn.eu/d/iezOt3B

That's inflation for you I paid about £40

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have a Eureka Mignon grinder and was happy to spend almost £300 on it. May be better options now but the was the single biggest element of overall espresso prep.

I think for price/performance the Sage is a good choice but depending on how into it you want to get (occasional drink versus all-consuming hobby), you’re at the lower end and may want to upgrade. FWIW I almost bought one of those too but I wanted to invest in something a bit higher end and more repairable. Just my experience, you may be very happy with the Sage.

The Eurika seems to be well reviewed but is considerably more expensive now. In a bad turn of luck, Amazon have currently sold out of the Sage, so I’m having to stay patient if I were to go for that model.

Associate
OP
I bought a grinder on Amazon years ago imported from Germany, was cheap like £40 still going.

Only criticism is really loud, and getting fine adjustments on grind amount is pretty fiddly.

Edit: this one.

SEVERIN Grinder coffee grinder with electric grinder (100 W, stainless steel disc grinder, max. capacity 150 g) black/silver, KM 3874 https://amzn.eu/d/iezOt3B

That's inflation for you I paid about £40
I’m actually more keen on buying a cheaper model if they have good reviews, like what you mention. There’s a few on Amazon that seem to read well and my coffee intake isn’t at the addict level of some so could probably survive fine with something basic :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless you can actually achieve a decent espresso level grind, the cheaper grinders are a false economy as you won't be getting anything decent from your machine. That was the issue I had.

Soldato
Been using this since November, grinds down to espresso surprisingly well, I use it at setting 5 for my espressos. Price hasn't risen much since I bought it.

SHARDOR Conical Burr Coffee Grinder Electric, 31 Precise Grind Settings Coffee Bean Grinder for Espresso/Drip/Pour Over/Cold Brew/French Press, LCD Screen and Precise Digital Timer, Black https://amzn.eu/d/90nD2BZ

I went for the smaller of the two, still holds around 250g of beans should you want to grind enough for a trip away etc. the container holds around a third of that but I don't store any coffee in it. Either straight to portafilter or sealed container.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're better off with a manual grinder up to a certain price point, the cheap electric ones I've always found to be poor. That said, you do trade off efficiency/time/cleanup with a hand grinder, so I can certainly see why people don't go down that route.

Soldato
Damn, my Wilfa grinder ground to a halt this morning.

Checked when I bought it, June 2021.

Checked the seller's warranty, phew, they come with a five year warranty, so will see how that goes.

In the meantime, just had a cup of twenty year old tea (last time I bought some), best before 07/2010, tastes OK.

Associate
The Melitta Calibra is a credible rival to the Sage options in my opinion. I paid about £120 for mine when it was relatively new and have been using it daily for a couple of years now and its great. It's down to about £75 on amazon at the moment assuming you get the same voucher as I do.

I orginally bought it as you can get a melitta pour over adapter and it fits directly on the weight plate meaning I can grind directly into a 2x4 paper filter without any addational containers being needed for a drip machine. However, I've recently bought a sage bambino and now use it 50/50 for drip / espresso and it handles both admirably.

I think the sage probably has the edge on espresso, but I'm not sure that its worth the 50% price increase depending on what you want.

Soldato
Been using this since November, grinds down to espresso surprisingly well, I use it at setting 5 for my espressos. Price hasn't risen much since I bought it.

SHARDOR Conical Burr Coffee Grinder Electric, 31 Precise Grind Settings Coffee Bean Grinder for Espresso/Drip/Pour Over/Cold Brew/French Press, LCD Screen and Precise Digital Timer, Black https://amzn.eu/d/90nD2BZ

I went for the smaller of the two, still holds around 250g of beans should you want to grind enough for a trip away etc. the container holds around a third of that but I don't store any coffee in it. Either straight to portafilter or sealed container.

Just bought this, as desperate for coffee, and not sure if or when I will get a Wilfa replacement.

Decided it's a good idea to have a backup grinder anyhow.

Soldato
I bought the baratza encore esp to go with my bambino. So far I have it set to 21 and seems to work fine. Mind you I’m all new to this and still learning.

Soldato
@brendy So far so good with this grinder, makes me wonder why the Wilfa is £35 more.

Still haven't heard from the seller regarding my broken Wilfa.
I have mine dialled in at 5 for my espresso, honestly can't fault it, it's not overly fast or slow, uniform grind, static is there but low, easily better than my old krups burr grinder.

Back
Top Bottom