• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coil Whine - VTX 7970 B-Grade.. Do I return?

Soldato
OP
I didn't go today! Card is in the pc. Project cars maxed out makes it squeal more than Heaven can. It does seem to be getting quieter though!

I have 14 days to return to Ocuk??

Soldato
OP
I still have the card. But I think it's a combination of a card issue, and the noisy caps in my PSU.

The PSU is a OCZ ZX 1250w, overkill. Wish I'd never bought it now!

With my 6950 card installed I can make the psu/card gently whine on the Hitman Absolution main menu,

But with the 7970 on the main menu the noise is extremely piercing, it seems to come from the PSU and the GPU at the same time.

Severely ****** off, not sure what to do. I don't want this 7970 if it's making this noise.. but even if I get a replacement card whilst at the shop, it's still going to make a similar noise due to the PSU?

Ack :(

Soldato
I would get it refunded whilst you can if it is bad. If you leave it you will be out the 14 days and will have issues moving it on if it's bad.

Get a refund and buy a new 7950 for the same money, sell the games and you have the same performance brand new for less money and a full warranty.

Soldato
It could very well just be because of the PSU in that case if it's louder with the 7970. It'd make sense since the 7970s will be drawing a fair chunk more power on the 12v rail than the 6950 could.

Do you have any friends who you could borrow/use their PSU to test?

Soldato
Have you tried undervolting and overvolting the card to see if it affects the whine. Changing the voltage will change the frequency so even a very small increase or decrease can make a difference...

Soldato
OP
Have you tried undervolting and overvolting the card to see if it affects the whine. Changing the voltage will change the frequency so even a very small increase or decrease can make a difference...

Shall try this in the morning ta. Had enough for tonight! Tempted just to give up and take it back.

Back
Top Bottom