Colleague off sick for five weeks. Has Doctors note. Is currently in Ibiza.

Soldato
Last time I checked that was illegal. Even if somebody was off sick the whole year they would still accrue their full 28 days holiday minimum.
Yep...although it can revert back to statutory holiday entitlement rather than any additional holiday.

-----------

If you're on sick leave you can normally build up four weeks' statutory paid holiday time, like any other employee. Statutory holiday entitlement is built up (accrued) while an employee is off work sick (no matter how long they’re off).

Any statutory holiday entitlement that isn’t used because of illness can be carried over into the next leave year. If an employee is ill just before or during their holiday, they can take it as sick leave instead.

An employee can ask to take their paid holiday for the time they’re off work sick. They might do this if they don’t qualify for sick pay, for example. Any rules on sick leave will still apply.

Soldato
I've had to manage people like this before.

1st one was off sick for weeks at a time, no real doctors notes etc. my bonus was based on my teams attendance so she screwed me over. after 4 months we let her go. She then took the company to court on the claims she was off sick because an ex-employee had touched her boob and caused so much stress she had a miscarriage. She had a large payout AND got her job back. Which she then was only there 50% of the time for the next 8 months until I helped her get a job at a haulage company just so I could pass the problem on. In reality she just couldn't be arsed, had the miscarriage BEFORE the boob touching incident AND it was actually her that took his hands and put them on her boobs. lots of witnesses AND a video of it.

2nd was on long term sick for mental health/stress. Often was away on holidays, golfing etc. He was on Statutory sick pay, we picked up his work and he was back at work after 4 months and was there for another 5 years without taking a sick day in that time.

The 3rd person phoned up Saturday and Sunday saying he couldn't attend work due to having terrible back pain. Then posted photos of him drinking at a Swing dance part Saturday night... reported with photos and had a written warning for it and didn't speak to me for 4 months :D

Caporegime
I've had to manage people like this before.

1st one was off sick for weeks at a time, no real doctors notes etc. my bonus was based on my teams attendance so she screwed me over. after 4 months we let her go. She then took the company to court on the claims she was off sick because an ex-employee had touched her boob and caused so much stress she had a miscarriage. She had a large payout AND got her job back. Which she then was only there 50% of the time for the next 8 months until I helped her get a job at a haulage company just so I could pass the problem on. In reality she just couldn't be arsed, had the miscarriage BEFORE the boob touching incident AND it was actually her that took his hands and put them on her boobs. lots of witnesses AND a video of it.

2nd was on long term sick for mental health/stress. Often was away on holidays, golfing etc. He was on Statutory sick pay, we picked up his work and he was back at work after 4 months and was there for another 5 years without taking a sick day in that time.

The 3rd person phoned up Saturday and Sunday saying he couldn't attend work due to having terrible back pain. Then posted photos of him drinking at a Swing dance part Saturday night... reported with photos and had a written warning for it and didn't speak to me for 4 months :D

Pretty much a similar story to me. The people who are very smart and know how to play the system will always win.

I had one guy who went off sick with a bad back but was posting pics of himself working out in a gym lifting weights. He got sacked as with all disciplinaries it is not a court of law so if you believe something isn't right you take action. The problem happens when they appeal it then it goes on a lengthy process.

On the flip side you get people who manage to get time off work and can play the system to the bone. Had a lady who had two kids and in 4-5 years worked a total of 30 odd days. Milked sick pay, maternity and holiday to the max.

Secretly when redundancies come around you always look them in the eye with a bit of glee as you know you will be fine and they will be getting their P45. In fact redundancies are about the only thing you can do to clear out the dead wood these days. It has got to the point where everything is just so one sided to the staff you have no chance. The sooner you accept this and get on with life the better as I can never see it changing.

Soldato
Pretty much a similar story to me. The people who are very smart and know how to play the system will always win.

I had one guy who went off sick with a bad back but was posting pics of himself working out in a gym lifting weights. He got sacked as with all disciplinaries it is not a court of law so if you believe something isn't right you take action. The problem happens when they appeal it then it goes on a lengthy process.

On the flip side you get people who manage to get time off work and can play the system to the bone. Had a lady who had two kids and in 4-5 years worked a total of 30 odd days. Milked sick pay, maternity and holiday to the max.

Secretly when redundancies come around you always look them in the eye with a bit of glee as you know you will be fine and they will be getting their P45. In fact redundancies are about the only thing you can do to clear out the dead wood these days. It has got to the point where everything is just so one sided to the staff you have no chance. The sooner you accept this and get on with life the better as I can never see it changing.
"milked maternity"

lol

Caporegime
Milked Meternity?

Ok :o

Most normal people. My wife included are honest. Her maternity package was 3 months full pay, 3 months half pay and 3 months SMP. (All topped up by company over SMP). She did her 9 months, topped up with holidays and keep in touch days then returned to work after twelve months. The government only pays you 9 months max SMP although you can take 12 months total so 3 of that unpaid.

This lady came back after her 9 months. Worked one week (Just to get all her holidays booked). Burnt all her holidays then went off sick with PND. All the while she was doing an Avon lady type job (selling those cooking machines) cash in hand. Yet there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Associate
Most normal people. My wife included are honest. Her maternity package was 3 months full pay, 3 months half pay and 3 months SMP. (All topped up by company over SMP). She did her 9 months, topped up with holidays and keep in touch days then returned to work after twelve months. The government only pays you 9 months max SMP although you can take 12 months total so 3 of that unpaid.

This lady came back after her 9 months. Worked one week (Just to get all her holidays booked). Burnt all her holidays then went off sick with PND. All the while she was doing an Avon lady type job (selling those cooking machines) cash in hand. Yet there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

HMRC report? ;)

Can't type for toffee
Don

9 month maternity, likely years overlapped, take holiday from both years (leave still accrued whilst on maternity) and you've got the best part of a year off.
And that's before any sick/parental leave.

Dumping Avon books off at random door's isn't really hard now is it?
It it was genuinely PND then actually getting out of the house would have likely helped, you hold that against her?

Absolutely agree about him taking a holiday, but this was pre-booked prior to being signed off and likely will still be using his holiday time.

If yer on the sick a lot of companies will auto remove any holiday you've got booked and overwrite with sick leave.

HMRC report? ;)

Someone needs to do a stint or being an Avon seller lol :p

Associate
9 month maternity, likely years overlapped, take holiday from both years (leave still accrued whilst on maternity) and you've got the best part of a year off.
And that's before any sick/parental leave.

It it was genuinely PND then actually getting out of the house would have likely helped, you hold that against her?

If yer on the sick a lot of companies will auto remove any holiday you've got booked and overwrite with sick leave.

I had a GF who sold Avon.. yeah its a crappy earner and horrid job... but I was just looking to give the "complainer" something to feel better about

Soldato
The way I view things is I/you have a contract with an organisation. You have one duty and that’s to fulfill your contract you don’t need to worry if others are fulfilling their contracts.

Quite frankly it’s none of your business and secondly as someone has alluded to already it won’t go unnoticed and when it comes to promotions they will be overlooked and when it comes to redundancy they will be front of queue.

Caporegime

I meant she was doing a similar job to Avon selling these cooking machines. One of those kind of door to door jobs where you get commission once you get a sale. Hold parties etc to get a sale etc. She was basically pushing it whilst claiming sick.

Associate
I went to Spain while signed off sick for 6 weeks with my bowel condition. I didn’t have it planned but sister had a villa booked so I tagged along. Spoke to the dr’s and he thought it would do me good since it was probably stress that started my colitis off again anyway.

Work weren’t happy about it but I did tell them before I went. My line manger wanted me disciplined but after HR looked into it they said I hadn’t actually broke any rule’s so dropped it.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Yep if it's stress related its good to get out n about, regardless of country.
If you have a valid sick note and the Dr's said it was a good idea I don't see why this "manager" wanted you disciplined.
You were following the Doctors advise *shrug*

Some very narrow minded people in offices when they think someone's "getting away" with something they'd like.
Sometimes people you thought were your friends become little greened eyed monsters and out come the little knives haha

Back
Top Bottom