Colleagues bad behaviour

Associate
Hi everyone,

I have been having some issues with my colleagues at work for a while now and I would like to ask for your advice.

I work as a receptionist at a hospital in London. I work at the main reception. My duties include directing people to their appointments and departments, registering blue badges for the disabled parking (spaces are very limited), manning the patient inquiries and the domestic helpdesks, sometimes booking minicabs for staff, booking porters for people going to the clinics. It is very busy and very stressful, with people taking it out on us almost every day.
I feel like I work twice as hard as my colleagues, and that’s not only due to my sense of duty, it’s that they leave me no other choice.

There is a constant flux of people and we have to serve them fast, before long queues form. But you have to actually look at them in order to serve them. My colleagues do not make eye contact, they stare into their screens, something that I cannot do. I can’t ignore a service user in front of me, especially when this is the most important part of my role.

I have two colleagues. One of always shows up at least half an hour later. His shift starts at nine and he comes at nine thirty, but mostly at nine forty. The busiest time of the day is nine to ten. This has been happening every day since I am there, for two years. When he arrives, the first thing is to call his wife and talk to her on the phone, while service users parade in front of him, towards me. If they dare ask him something, he ignores them. He often does personal business from the hospital phone, talking to his bank, to people delivering things to his house, to arrange for his wife’s visa etc. Calls should be coming on his phone for patient inquiries as well as mine, but as the phone is engaged, I have to answer those calls as well. He also says very sexist and racist things, like “all English people are on benefits”, “English people are retarded”. We are both immigrants here. I do not share his opinions and they make me extremely uncomfortable.

The other colleague ignores service users most of the time. He has a tablet in front of him, below the computer and watches his shows. If people wait in front of him, after letting them wait about five minutes, he angrily calls them to him and tells them they need to approach him, that he doesn’t call. He has been working there for a long time and knows many people. There is a procession of his colleagues from other departments every day. They speak so loud that sometimes I can’t hear the service users that I have to deal with, because he is to busy talking to his mates.

As a consequence of their behaviour, most people come to me and I have to deal with twice as many people. Our “team leader” is on sick leave most of the time and when she is there she rarely comes to see us. She has been told before about what my colleagues are doing (not by me) and she just told them not to behave like this, but no action was taken. They blatantly ignore her.

I feel both me and the service users are treated very badly by my colleagues. I guess the right thing would be to approach my colleagues and tell them to change their behaviour. I tried it with one of them. He didn’t speak to me for a week and shot me murderous looks. His attitude got even worse since.

I am also very intimidated to talk to them, because I know they would not listen. I would only create enemies. There is also another dimension to this. I have been moved there from another department and I am not on a permanent contract there. I replaced a person who was fired through their machinations, because she was constantly complaining about them.

The straw that made me write this post is this:

A few days ago, a delivery guy brought some packages for the breast clinic. They were wrapped as presents, I don’t know what was inside. Seeing as it is the breast clinic, I am guessing it was something for the cancer patients, there were too many to be for the staff. We don’t accept anything at the reception, but this delivery guy was very rude and just dropped them in front of us and left. My colleagues stored them behind the reception, until the person they were meant for came to collect them. In the meantime, they stole a few of them. I feel it is my duty to report this, but I feel nothing will be done and I will just be exposed to their revenge.

Thank you for reading so far. What would be your advice?

Fixed the wall of text - EVH

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
It's extremely hard to sack someone who works in the public sector.

You have zero proof they stole anything so they could deny it and then what?

Unless you have proof of them doing a bad job it's not worth reporting unless you have an extremely good relationship with higher management.

You say your team leader is always on sick leave. Typical. Hard to prove if faking and still get full pay. So I wouldn't bother reporting it to them even if I did have proof someone higher up.

Man of Honour
That's an interesting first post. Speak to your manager, not post it on a computer overclocking forum.

That would be my advice too. Also, document incidents. What happened and when and how long for and whether it was witnessed by anyone else and if so, who. If you're going to try to get something done, you'll need some weight. You could try going to your team leader first, after you've documented enough incidents. Maybe then they'll escalate it to the next level of management. Maybe. At least you'd be giving them the opportunity to do so rather than just going over their head.

Alternatively, try to get moved to a different department. You were moved to that department from another department, which suggests that moving departments might be a possibility. It depends on how risky you think it would be to speak up and whether you want to take that risk.

Associate
You need to get another job, It's not worth the time and stress trying to deal with losers. I was in a similar situation a few years ago, multiple people in a department just sitting around on phones all day. They have since lost their main contract and all been made redundant.

You can try to change the atmosphere but its far simpler to move to a new job that has a proper attitude to working.

Man of Honour
You need to get another job, It's not worth the time and stress trying to deal with losers. I was in a similar situation a few years ago, multiple people in a department just sitting around on phones all day. They have since lost their main contract and all been made redundant.

You can try to change the atmosphere but its far simpler to move to a new job that has a proper attitude to working.

Pretty much what I did - but easier said than done - I upped and walked out one Saturday mid-shift and never looked back, less than a year later and the company was under new management.

It was alright until the MD was going through a mess divorce and didn't give a **** any more - then it slowly fell apart as the run of the mill staff got more and more used to being lazy without a care to the bigger picture and the buck was always stopping with me because I could see the bigger picture.

Soldato
Focus on your role, don't think about others. Like I always do.

Anyway if it really bothering you, speak to your manager or HR but...as someone said above. It's very very hard to sack anyone in public sector. That's why there are some cr@p staff around.

Soldato
You've got three options really, a) suck it up and get on with it, b) stoop down to their levels and do as much work as they do - could be argued that you're facilitating their laziness, c) find another job.

Soldato
That is the NHS for you, you have a few people working very very hard and a lot of other people doing bugger all.

document everything and document, time, place and who witnessed it.

Escalate to your manager in writing.

We have a number of nurses and a phlebotomist who do almost nothing and leave all the work to a few others, its compromises patient safety and makes all of our life difficulty.

No one cares,

Soldato
I friend made a complaint about the behaviour of nurses in the local hospital while he was there recovering from a heart operation. He wrote it all down and some of it is shocking. He emailed it in and whoever was in charge invited him to a meeting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi everyone
I have been having some issues with my colleagues at work for a while now and I would like to ask for your advice.
I work as a receptionist at a hospital in London. I work at the main reception. My duties include directing people to their appointments and departments, registering blue badges for the disabled parking (spaces are very limited), manning the patient inquiries and the domestic helpdesks, sometimes booking minicabs for staff, booking porters for people going to the clinics. It is very busy and very stressful, with people taking it out on us almost every day.
I feel like I work twice as hard as my colleagues, and that’s not only due to my sense of duty, it’s that they leave me no other choice.
There is a constant flux of people and we have to serve them fast, before long queues form. But you have to actually look at them in order to serve them. My colleagues do not make eye contact, they stare into their screens, something that I cannot do. I can’t ignore a service user in front of me, especially when this is the most important part of my role.
I have two colleagues. One of always shows up at least half an hour later. His shift starts at nine and he comes at nine thirty, but mostly at nine forty. The busiest time of the day is nine to ten. This has been happening every day since I am there, for two years. When he arrives, the first thing is to call his wife and talk to her on the phone, while service users parade in front of him, towards me. If they dare ask him something, he ignores them. He often does personal business from the hospital phone, talking to his bank, to people delivering things to his house, to arrange for his wife’s visa etc. Calls should be coming on his phone for patient inquiries as well as mine, but as the phone is engaged, I have to answer those calls as well. He also says very sexist and racist things, like “all English people are on benefits”, “English people are retarded”. We are both immigrants here. I do not share his opinions and they make me extremely uncomfortable.
The other colleague ignores service users most of the time. He has a tablet in front of him, below the computer and watches his shows. If people wait in front of him, after letting them wait about five minutes, he angrily calls them to him and tells them they need to approach him, that he doesn’t call. He has been working there for a long time and knows many people. There is a procession of his colleagues from other departments every day. They speak so loud that sometimes I can’t hear the service users that I have to deal with, because he is to busy talking to his mates.
As a consequence of their behaviour, most people come to me and I have to deal with twice as many people.
Our “team leader” is on sick leave most of the time and when she is there she rarely comes to see us. She has been told before about what my colleagues are doing (not by me) and she just told them not to behave like this, but no action was taken. They blatantly ignore her.
I feel both me and the service users are treated very badly by my colleagues. I guess the right thing would be to approach my colleagues and tell them to change their behaviour. I tried it with one of them. He didn’t speak to me for a week and shot me murderous looks. His attitude got even worse since.
I am also very intimidated to talk to them, because I know they would not listen. I would only create enemies. There is also another dimension to this. I have been moved there from another department and I am not on a permanent contract there. I replaced a person who was fired through their machinations, because she was constantly complaining about them.
The straw that made me write this post is this:
A few days ago, a delivery guy brought some packages for the breast clinic. They were wrapped as presents, I don’t know what was inside. Seeing as it is the breast clinic, I am guessing it was something for the cancer patients, there were too many to be for the staff. We don’t accept anything at the reception, but this delivery guy was very rude and just dropped them in front of us and left. My colleagues stored them behind the reception, until the person they were meant for came to collect them. In the meantime, they stole a few of them. I feel it is my duty to report this, but I feel nothing will be done and I will just be exposed to their revenge.
Thank you for reading so far. What would be your advice?

I'll take this at face value and assume is not some form of wind up..

It's actually quite hard and difficult to judge which direction to take,
A. Just leave.. if an organisation is highly dysfunctional then trying to change that will only create more stress on yourself and you'd be better off putting that energy into finding another job at a company that does care.
B. If I felt the organisation was not systematically dysfunctional then I'd probably start by having a meeting with my Team Leader, it's important to try that step first IMO, they might be ineffectual, but at least give them a chance.. If nothing happens, have another meeting a week or so later.. If that doesn't change anything, I'd probably have a meeting with their manager and go over it with them.. As mentioned above, definitely keep a log of time/dates and actions, if accusations are abound then it's very very useful to be able to call on that as people get all defensive.. I'd keep it to more informal/verbal meetings first just because IME good management react better if they have a chance to intervene before HR processes have to kick in, but that really depends on the company.

Associate
No-one at any level will thank you for bringing this to their attention as it highlights failures at multiple levels of management.

I suggest you look for an internal transfer to another department in the hospital - there are good people out there to work with.

Back
Top Bottom