Collecting new bike this w/e - things to check..?

Soldato
Picking up my new bike this weekend. Any tips on things I should check?
Sounds like the bike has been with the dealer a while so they said I check can over the whole bike before I leave (apparently this is standard).

Anything in particular worth checking?

What about mileage? I know some cars have miles on them but do bikes?

It's had aftermarket products fitted - so I'll pay particular attention there.

Tips welcome!

Associate
main things to check tent to be age related,

what is it,

how old is it.

service history is an easy thing to point out but its the major service you need to check for, the one
that normally includes all the work that's involved around the 15k mark.

Soldato
OP
It's brand new. 67 plate. I'm just a bit bothered by the fact it's one they had 'out the back'. And what about mileage? Is mileage OK on a new bike? Poked around the Internet and apparently it's reasonable to expect a few on cars. But bikes?

Can just imagine it's spent some of its time in the showroom with all those sticky hands and fingers! :)

Associate
If it's a pre-reg, make sure you're getting a decent discount vs the list price. Nothing wrong with a pre-reg, that's what my bike is but it should be reflected in the price.
As above less than 10 miles on the clock, I wouldn't worry about but if it's ex-demo, then it should be a little cheaper again vs pre-reg.

I'm no expert on the mechanical side but I would check that there's no corrosion anywhere if you're worried about how it's been stored.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Picked my bike up new and it had 0.3 miles on the clock, for what it’s worth.

I also got to choose the number plate and give it a once over before signing on the dotted line. Sounds like they’ve pre-registered it (paid the VAT in doing so), so it should be cheaper for you.

Worst part about a new bike is how the manual recommends limiting yourself to a low rpm, it’s killer :(

IC3

IC3

Soldato
<10 miles I wouldn’t be bothered but 100> I’d be asking if it’s been used as a demo bike.
This

There isn't much that can go wrong with a brand new bike, do you get any warranty with it? Apart from that, you mentioned already what to check, if they offered you bike with aftermarket parts than double check they're there before you get the cash out. :p

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comments guys.
Picked it up.
9 miles on the clock.
Manufactured in May but with dealer since June. (Seems like a v. Long time to me).
Slightly bent fins on radiator - they will straighten on first service. It's under the side fairing so can't see unless looking for it. Surface area is the size of a pea. Really small.
Finger marks on the windshield.
Finger marks on the seat.

Left without signing the check list. Wasn't intentional. I asked to examine the bike outside in daylight and we didn't go back in.

Bike cut out at 40 mph approaching a roundabout on the way home - released clutch and it kicked in again. To be fair not done it since after 50ish miles.
Ride mode selector doesn't appear to be working. Stuck in sport mode but need to check the manual.
ABS light and something else flash until I actually pull away.

It's a 959 Panigale btw.

Oh. And have to keep it below 7000 revs until 650 mile service. Gonna be tough!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It's also a bad way to run in an engine.
I thought keeping it at a constant rpm was bad? Either way, I pretty much drove mine with a mix of easy riding and the odd blast (no red lining).

Just wanted to say I found it hard to take it easy for the beginning.

Man of Honour
There's two camps. Follow the manufacturers guidelines or nail the crap out of it from the off.

Each have their technical talk about why it's better but at the end of the day it's your bike so do as you wish.

Man of Honour
There's two camps. Follow the manufacturers guidelines or nail the crap out of it from the off.

Each have their technical talk about why it's better but at the end of the day it's your bike so do as you wish.

Not quite. Using the full rev range is preferred if you want the best long term performance out of the engine. This had been tested many times.

The manual isn't wrong, but it's designed to gently use all the components to minimise the risk if there's a failure. The hard break in method has more risk of anything goes wrong as the engine will more likely go bang.

Soldato
LOL...actually stating brake failure is pretty damn poor!

My S1000R only flashed the relevant dash lights, same with my 1290 SDR. Glad they don't say failure!

Back
Top Bottom