College/University 2014 thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'll find out in seven days how my first year went, so if it's good news, i'll be back for the second year in Spetember. The only other thing I would like to do, I can't for wearing glasses. :(

I hear you DanDan, a small workload would be nice from time to time.

Associate
I'm actually graduating this year (well, I've technically finished already as I'm starting my first job on Wednesday) with a degree in Computer Science.

If anyone has any questions, I can be happy to answer them. Best of luck to all of you!

Associate
Starting uni in September doing mechanical engineering. Will be 23 by the time I start and think that's a path I would like. Like many I had no idea what I wanted to do or how I wanted to do it when leaving college at 17/18 so kind of just remained stagnant working a low paid job.

But at least now I feel like I've had the time to think properly about it before actually going to uni.

Permabanned
Dont go to university its a complete waste of time and money

You will regret it once you leave and realise what a waste it was and how brainwashed you were to think that it would be worthwhile

Soldato
Starting uni in September doing mechanical engineering. Will be 23 by the time I start and think that's a path I would like. Like many I had no idea what I wanted to do or how I wanted to do it when leaving college at 17/18 so kind of just remained stagnant working a low paid job.

But at least now I feel like I've had the time to think properly about it before actually going to uni.

just finished a degree in this (and got a job :D), lots of opportunities in this once you've finished! (banking, accounting, finance, systems engineer, control engineer, oil/pipeline engineering, water engineering, design engineering.... etc)

Associate
just finished a degree in this (and got a job :D), lots of opportunities in this once you've finished! (banking, accounting, finance, systems engineer, control engineer, oil/pipeline engineering, water engineering, design engineering.... etc)

Yep, will certainly be looking at the oil and gas industry should I manage to get a decent degree.

But then again maybe going is just a big waste of time and I should continue earning a crap wage in a crap job (see above) :p :rolleyes:

Soldato
Dont go to university its a complete waste of time and money

You will regret it once you leave and realise what a waste it was and how brainwashed you were to think that it would be worthwhile

Or... It'll let you get the job you want to do, which there would be absolutely no way you could do without going to university.

For some it's essential, and for some it's pointless. To blanket every person and every choice in the way you have is just ridiculous and outright incorrect.

Soldato
Get my results in a few weeks to find out if I will be going back in September haha! Should be all alright! :/
Doing Computer Science at Kent Uni!

Permabanned
Or... It'll let you get the job you want to do, which there would be absolutely no way you could do without going to university.

For some it's essential, and for some it's pointless. To blanket every person and every choice in the way you have is just ridiculous and outright incorrect.
Its not outright incorrect

The only reason its worth anything is because it lets you apply to some job. It has literally no use other than that. Its more like buying a ticket to go on a ride than anything else

If you are happy to pay 40k to allow yourself to apply to some job that you could get by proving yourself another way then fine, do it

Permabanned
Once it actually filters through that the general standard of university even on 'hard' courses like Engineering at good universities is utterly diabolical and a total farce, anyone worth working for wont care about your degree at all

I do reckon though that the Government will eventually ban anyone from working/recieving benefits unless they have spent 40k on a degree. We need dem skills in young people you see and they cant be learnt without that 40k degree

Soldato
Its not outright incorrect

The only reason its worth anything is because it lets you apply to some job. It has literally no use other than that. Its more like buying a ticket to go on a ride than anything else

If you are happy to pay 40k to allow yourself to apply to some job that you could get by proving yourself another way then fine, do it

No, this isn't something you can argue against, you're flat out wrong...

To say that there is no use for anybody to go to university IS wrong. I'll repeat what I said, as you seem unable to read or understand it... For some people it is pointless, for other's it is essential.

For some jobs you simply could not get into them without a degree in the area. For others there would be many routes and people should choose the one that will work best for them.

Man of Honour
I'll probably be slammed for saying it, but I think it should cost less for people to go to university. I'm aware that the recent increase in fees actually made it cheaper due to the revised payback mechanism, but, still.... I benefited from what would not be considered ludicrously low fees and it sucks that others don't have the same privilege. Crappy courses however should be culled.

Permabanned
Do you really think, given the general standard of university now, that anyone is going to continue to give you any credit for your degree?

I can argue against it because I work in one, and even here I COULD have got my job without a degree

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Do you really think, given the general standard of university now, that anyone is going to continue to give you any credit for your degree?

I can argue against it because I work in one, and even here I COULD have got my job without a degree

I don't believe I would've got offers from banks, big4 accountancy and a few others without having my degree.
Nice work, I was following your exam progress and updates. I hope you did as well as expected and that the future is sorted out for you :cool:

Got a 2:1, and am off to PwC in September, cheers!

Man of Honour

My degrees are super pimp-yo and I think they will continued to be valued, but I can't remember much from my undergraduate degree these days. Just... shark facts.

Maybe I should just become a shark.

Soldato

Yes, for some subjects, which is exactly my point. For the area I'm in (research chemistry), there is no way I could get the jobs/roles I want without my degree. In fact most require a PhD, which I couldn't have got on to without my degree.

Not every degree will guarantee someone a job, in fact fairly few will now. But there are some areas of work that you need to have a degree to get in to.

So what if you work in an area where you don't need a degree to get into it? That doesn't affect the areas that do.

I'll probably be slammed for saying it, but I think it should cost less for people to go to university. I'm aware that the recent increase in fees actually made it cheaper due to the revised payback mechanism, but, still.... I benefited from what would not be considered ludicrously low fees and it sucks that others don't have the same privilege. Crappy courses however should be culled.

I don't think anyone would go against you for saying that. It IS very expensive, and definitely could/should be cheaper, or at least have a better system supporting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom