Combi boiler location

Soldato
Disadvantage of that surely is that you'll overall be reducing the flow rate (due to increased friction)

I know what you mean though, my shower takes a while to get hot, but the pressure/flow is good!
Depends what your supplying water too, the bathroom has 15mm to the bath then a 10mm from that to the sink. Kitchen has 10mm as far as possible.

The shower when fitted will tee of the 15mm and carry on in 15mm.

Soldato
We replaced our 20+ year old open system with a BW 32cdi, removed all the tanking and relocated it to the gable wall in the attic. The old had rusted at the joint of the boiler and set the CO alarms I had in the attic and in the airing cupboard.

BW has a system that starts water circulating at <10degC and then at <5degC fires up the boiler to protect itself. We have lagged the condensate pipe too but not had a problem at -17 outside with the boiler in the attic :)

Associate
moved by boiler from an unheated attached utility to an indoor cupboard

seems much better now its indoors, quicker hot water + heating and lower bills

indoors is 18deg, utility used to get to low single figures - can't see how a heating device works better in those conditions

Soldato
moved by boiler from an unheated attached utility to an indoor cupboard

seems much better now its indoors, quicker hot water + heating and lower bills

indoors is 18deg, utility used to get to low single figures - can't see how a heating device works better in those conditions

Its not that it works better, its that it's out of the way, I don't want a boiler anywhere i can hear it, plus frees up valuable space.

Soldato
What size houses/flats are your combi boilers heating? We have a two bed terraced house and are thinking of changing the boiler to a combi as we will be able to free up space in the bathroom for a shower, but we have heard they only work well up to a certain size house?

Soldato
What size houses/flats are your combi boilers heating? We have a two bed terraced house and are thinking of changing the boiler to a combi as we will be able to free up space in the bathroom for a shower, but we have heard they only work well up to a certain size house?
It's got naff all to do with the size of house. It's all about how you use hot water.
Basically a combi will only serve a single output at a time. Two taps is no problem but if someone is having a shower and a tap is turned on the flow can drop considerably.
But it's not always the case of you take cooler showers like me, and you have say a 32kw or bigger boiler you won't notice a tap being turned on because the boiler wasn't working at max to begin with.
It's only an issue if the boiler is at max and someone demands more, an easy way round this is to not have the hot water set higher than you need it.
I have mine set to 50c so even with taps fully open it's often not at full power.

Done people just like to hate on combi boilers, if you understand how they work and their limitations it's easy to get the best from them.

Soldato
It's got naff all to do with the size of house. It's all about how you use hot water.
Basically a combi will only serve a single output at a time. Two taps is no problem but if someone is having a shower and a tap is turned on the flow can drop considerably.
But it's not always the case of you take cooler showers like me, and you have say a 32kw or bigger boiler you won't notice a tap being turned on because the boiler wasn't working at max to begin with.
It's only an issue if the boiler is at max and someone demands more, an easy way round this is to not have the hot water set higher than you need it.
I have mine set to 50c so even with taps fully open it's often not at full power.

Done people just like to hate on combi boilers, if you understand how they work and their limitations it's easy to get the best from them.

We had three quotes, one had a 28cdi but we went with the 32cdi due to the higher flow rate that works with our mains flow rate well.

There is a little delay in warm water but that's acceptable. Plenty of hot water although if the tap is turned full on downstairs it messes with the mixing of the shower - better get a set-temperature mixer on the shower as it copes much better.

Associate
Have the boiler in the attic in the house we're renting, I can brush my teeth in the time it takes the shower to get hot in the morning. I'd definitely choose to have noise but instant hot water if it were up to me.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour

Interesting, I've always had mine set to ~60 to avoid legionella, but it appears that's more the case with cylinders, for combis you can run apparently run closer to 50.

Associate
actually if I set the boiler to max but have a thermosatic shower set to desired temp (~40deg) I get the least disruption to flow

Back
Top Bottom