• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[Comedy]NVIDIA's HD3870 X2 Launch Analysis[/Comedy]

Associate
I'll be waiting to see Nvidia's card, and see how it compares tbh.
And then only after a few driver releases from both, to optimize them better.

Then go with the better one which suites the rest of my spec.

As to post #1
Quite a funny read, but hardly nothing new, if I was a boss of a major company, i'd be doing exactly the same, you dont praise the competition to much.

Associate
The first is a perfectly valid... tho somewhat redundant points... there is little use for DX10 at this stage but if you've ever seen even current ATI hardware and drivers doing "real" DX10 stuff (and not just a few effects added on as an after thought) you will see it suffers badly compared to an 8800 GPU.

Can you explain what you mean by "real" DX10 stuff.

As far as I am aware if a game uses DX10 to render the graphics, the whole graphics engine must be written in DX10 and cannot not use DX9 for any of the graphics.

Soldato
Hahaha brilliant :D.

Damien back to hell for you as it's past your bedtime.

Do you think he owns a GT,GTS or GTX. £50 to the winner :p.

what i think he was implying that ATI need a single GPU card to compete with NVIDIA, cause big deal a card with two 3870 cores can beat a 8800 ultra, but big deal thats nothing to shout about since the 8800 is over a year old and its STILL giving ATI a black eye, and the 3870X2 doesn't exactly massacre it :rolleyes:

Caporegime
what i think he was implying that ATI need a single GPU card to compete with NVIDIA, cause big deal a card with two 3870 cores can beat a 8800 ultra, but big deal thats nothing to shout about since the 8800 is over a year old and its STILL giving ATI a black eye, and the 3870X2 doesn't exactly massacre it :rolleyes:

yes

smiley_watchout.gif

Soldato

yes

smiley_watchout.gif

well the 3870X2 isn't the huge ATI comeback everyone was making it out to be, using two GPUs to take on a single GPU is hardly a fair comparison, the only reason its priced like that is because if it wasn't it wouldn't appeal. goes to show how much slower ATI GPUs are than NVIDIA ones at the moment, shame that

Associate
The ULTRA is Nvidia's TOP single card solution, the 3870X2 is ATI's TOP single card solution, I don't think it matters how old the tech is, if anything that shows how lazy nvidia are atm.

ATI's single card offers better performance than Nvidia's single card, that's how I see it.

Soldato

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Associate
When you start realizing that is the price that matters instead of X cores or Y boards you will start winning!

quid per fps, thats how I see it!

Who cares about cores, colors, whatever you name it...

Soldato
i tell you what is comical is trying to install a bloody 3870x2 on vista, im not GEEK but not a novice either iver never ever had such headache as this, have the really released a card before the drivers are anywhere ready???????????? if so ATI big thumbs down and NO im no fan boy

Caporegime
i tell you what is comical is trying to install a bloody 3870x2 on vista, im not GEEK but not a novice either iver never ever had such headache as this, have the really released a card before the drivers are anywhere ready???????????? if so ATI big thumbs down and NO im no fan boy

Installed for me first time. Not sure what up that you can't get it to install :(

The ULTRA is Nvidia's TOP single card solution, the 3870X2 is ATI's TOP single card solution, I don't think it matters how old the tech is, if anything that shows how lazy nvidia are atm.

ATI's single card offers better performance than Nvidia's single card, that's how I see it.

Totally disagree.

Totally agree.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Well it's obvious this opinionated so are we going to continue to agree and disagree? :rolleyes:, or just leave it as it's not going to go anywhere :D.

I have noticed that it's been Nvidia users (GTX/GTS) that disagree though and I really hope it's not purchase justification?. I'm using the GTX and last card was a 2900Pro overclocked way past XT speeds. The only reason I got the GTX was it was the fastest card out at the time. If the X2 was out then I'd have bought that as it's now the fastest card out. I don't care what card I have, or the manufacturer I'm used to having as it's all about performance and the X2 has that over the Ultra and the GTX. Even if it's not a lot sometimes, then again sometimes it IS by a lot. I don't know how people can't see that but then again. Purchase justification.

It's weird though as Nvidia don't get that - it's just AMD/ATI and I cannot for the life of me think why that is?. It's just crazy as we all know the performance of the cards and it's only one way :confused:. So what, it's late, it's 2 GPU's. It beats anything out on the market and when did we all become bang for buck enthusiasts?. It's always been a matter of saving up the pennies to get the top card for most people.

It's always been a matter of saving up the pennies to get the top card for most people.

yes thats true and it's something that I've always done myself but top end single gpu card, I know I'm gonna get allot of flack here but I just don't rate the X2 or will I rate the GX2 either, they just don't interest me, what will interest me is Nividia's and ATI's true next gen single slot, single gpu solutions, dual gpu cards are just a cheap way to extend the life of the current gpu architecture, I don't like it, plain and simple, I want the real deal not two old gpu's slapped together to brut force a few extra frames out of my games, I'm sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes thats true and it's something that I've always done myself but top end single gpu card, I know I'm gonna get allot of flack here but I just don't rate the X2 or will I rate the GX2 either, they just don't interest me, what will interest me is Nividia's and ATI's true next gen single slot, single gpu solutions, dual gpu cards are just a cheap way to extend the life of the current gpu architecture, I don't like it, plain and simple, I want the real deal not two old gpu's slapped together to brut force a few extra frames out of my games, I'm sorry but that's just the way I feel.

says everything i was aiming at really, absoloutly nothing to do with purchase justification either as there is no need to justify it I have a great card thats far fast enough for the games i play at the res i play them.
Fact remains a single card running a single core that will use that core 100% of the time would still be better.

Caporegime
says everything i was aiming at really, absoloutly nothing to do with purchase justification either as there is no need to justify it I have a great card thats far fast enough for the games i play at the res i play them.
Fact remains a single card running a single core that will use that core 100% of the time would still be better.

So going by that same logic you must also think dual and quad core cpu's are a waste of time as not every app takes advantage of them? You also miss the point that internally gpu's havn't been "single" in years.

Thats the way the industrys moving forward, the r700 is already rumoured to be multi core. And according to kyle from hardocp the info he got on the r700 is as follows

R700 will be a multiple GPU architecture. Will not be CrossFire on a card. The architecture is being designed from the ground up to be "multiple GPU

So why exactly are people here complaining about something theyve not even tried yet? Its not using the same methods as the x2 but something new.

Back
Top Bottom