Comfortable Safety Boots?

Soldato
Timberland Pro Boots.

I have some Chukka boots, and find them uncomfortable.

Thermal boots will always be more comfortable due to the extra layering.

p.s. Dickies.. gotta love them... sitting at my PC wearing Dickies Carpenter trousers. Love 'em :D

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
After messing around with laces and getting cheesed off, i'd buy yourself some rigger boots.

Real manboot. :cool:
Outdoor.
Just got a new set of riggers as my old pair are dying after about 10 years of abuse. Can't beat them for slipping on & off without getting covered in the **** you have just walked/worked in. I like the way they fit over my jeans/trousers as well & the way they move about a bit so are comfy.

Indoor.
I'd go through the company & get some Hiking boots with steel caps in them, Uber comfortable.

Soldato
I wear a pair of Dickies like these :

Surprisingly comfy, slightly heavy due to steel toes / soles, but have a nice warm thinsulate lining :)

Does the thermal lining actually work when its really cold? That my most hated thing about working outside, when my toes are freezing cold :eek:. I even wore 2 pairs of thermal socks and it made very little difference.

Soldato
I vote Doc Martin's too. But make sure they're the proper workboot version with steel toecaps in because not all of them have them.

Like all new boot they require some breaking in for a week or two, wear some thick socks if you can to help prevent chaffing, but after that they're fine and willl last for years unlike cheap boots which tend to fall apart after a few months and need replacing often. High initial outlay but cheaper in the long term.

Does the thermal lining actually work when its really cold? That my most hated thing about working outside, when my toes are freezing cold :eek:. I even wore 2 pairs of thermal socks and it made very little difference.

The insulated air cushion sole on DM's work very well in the cold, I've tried wearing wellies when its icy but the numbing cold comes right up through the solid sole and becomes unbearable after a while and I've had to put the DM's back on. Comfort at last.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I wondered why my safety boots and safety wellies always rubbed, I thought I needed a bigger size or something but if it's a common occurrence then it makes more sense. Guess I will need to try DM.

Associate
i wear a pair of Dickies Tamar Super Safety Boots. Very comfy. Although i do stick different in soles in all my shoes/boots etc.

Tea Drinker
Don
We're not allowed riggers any more, some numpty dropped something rather hot down one and burnt themselves quite seriously therefore blanket ban on a £1bn business overnight.

All our stuff comes from Uvex I've just got some uvex quatro pro · Lace-up winter boots, I'm restricted to what I can have as I'm size 14, so far they are comfortable if in need of breaking in.

Associate
If you can afford them, take a look at Altberg Boots.

I've got a pair that aren't steel toecapped, they are extremely comfortable.

They do predominantly Military and Police Spec boots, the Police riot support boot is excellent, has a steel toecap, flexible steel midsole to prevent puncturing with nails etc.

This is the one

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/peacekeeper-p3-vs/

If you look at the picture with the red CE symbol on it, it shows the rating of the boot. Then click on the features tab and you can see what the codes mean. The features tab also tells you that since the boot is a full safety boot it is zero rated for VAT.

Bear in mind they will resole them when they wear out - expensive - yep, but worth it.

Last edited:
Associate
When serving in the Army I used to break-in my "Boots Combat High" and before that "DMS" by removing the plastic insoles, placing the boots in a bucket of boiling water with a cupful of washing up liquid and weighed down with a house brick.

I'd leave them to soak in the water overnight. I'd then take hold of one boot by the shaft and use it to pulverise the other boot, on the toe, along the lace holes, up the stem etc. I'd then soak them again with boiling water for another night. Then I'd drain the boots for about ten minutes, and without replacing the plastic insoles, put on two pairs of thick socks and then put the boots on, blacken them up with Kiwi Boot polish and wear them until they were dry. That usually did the trick! Occasionally there would be a sharp, hard piece of leather on the inside of the boot where the stitching, tongue, boot met, if that was still hard I'd use a metal hammer on the outside of the boot with a buffer on the inside. That usually broke them in!

Soldato
If you can afford them, take a look at Altberg Boots.

This is the one

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/peacekeeper-p3-vs/

Bear in mind they will resole them when they wear out - expensive - yep, but worth it.

Thats what I've got for work, extremely comfortable and mine are waterproof too. For my home I've got a pair of the hiking boot style Dickies which are great too!

Soldato
OP
Man of Honour
I recommend the Magnum Classic boot. There are simply a fantastic buy, very comfy, flexible as they have nylon ankle area and have a reinforced toe.

I've worn them for around 12 years and on my third pair but I do wear them daily during the winter months on my bike, walking and at weekends too.

You can get them anywhere including sports direct for around £70 (got my last pair from millets) but I found them on a £50 special

http://www.wynsors.com/classic-cen-p-30608.html?gclid=CPidw4GCk7UCFYJP3godTTwAOQ

Man of Honour
I recommend the Magnum Classic boot. There are simply a fantastic buy, very comfy, flexible as they have nylon ankle area and have a reinforced toe.

I've worn them for around 12 years and on my third pair but I do wear them daily during the winter months on my bike, walking and at weekends too.

You can get them anywhere including sports direct for around £70 (got my last pair from millets) but I found them on a £50 special

http://www.wynsors.com/classic-cen-p-30608.html?gclid=CPidw4GCk7UCFYJP3godTTwAOQ

They're not safety boots in terms of having a proper steel toe cap, they're just reinforced which doesn't mean a great deal other than the leather is a bit thicker and sturdier over the toe.

Man of Honour
They're not safety boots in terms of having a proper steel toe cap, they're just reinforced which doesn't mean a great deal other than the leather is a bit thicker and sturdier over the toe.

They definitely have something inside the toe area. They are not steel, maybe a hardened plastic perhaps? I know these are used in the police force.

I guess if health and safety insist in steel then no these aren't the boots.

Back
Top Bottom