Community Fibre

I agree.

Given that on ethernet you were able to get 930 up/down on the Velop, it's unlikely to be the ethernet cable at fault.

This leaves two options; a setting on your Asus Router you've forgotten about that is doing this limit, or the ethernet port is damaged/buggy.

So first thing I'd do is try another ethernet port on the Asus Router if there is one, and try again on the ethernet speeds. If still the same, try one more port (if available, just to eliminate chance). And if still the same, it's very likely to be the Asus Router having a setting on it enabled then or limited; perform a factory reset of it as you won't know what you've enabled/disabled or limited and restart from scratch for new settings.

If you get full 930 up/down on another port, then that port you were originally using was at fault. Tape it off and never use it again.

Deals back on for 900mb. It use to be labeled 1gb though.

Down to about 27 a month for 24 months or 29 for 12 months
Awesome.

Probably 900mb as that's the usual amount that gets sent through on that (1gb) profile, very few instances where more than that is observed.

The pricing is still good though, as that £27 a month for 24 months goes up by £2 at the end of the contract (so £29 a month coming off the 24 month package ending), so if the prices are higher then you can just sit tight. Or if there's a better deal, renew it then. Same for the 12 month contract.

Altough I note that they have (re-?)included the setup fee now, whereas before it was free for the (formerly) 1gb package. Still good though really.

Awesome.

Probably 900mb as that's the usual amount that gets sent through on that (1gb) profile, very few instances where more than that is observed.

The pricing is still good though, as that £27 a month for 24 months goes up by £2 at the end of the contract (so £29 a month coming off the 24 month package ending), so if the prices are higher then you can just sit tight. Or if there's a better deal, renew it then. Same for the 12 month contract.

Altough I note that they have (re-?)included the setup fee now, whereas before it was free for the (formerly) 1gb package. Still good though really.
How much is the installation fee?

@Armadillo

You can shoot a message to Community Fibre as well and ask them that way, or call up your installation engineer for a quick ask (I was offered that in case I needed help with the installation after the actual installation itself).

With regards to your extra coiled optical cable, are you able to grab a small cardboard box of some kind (cut two slats into them) and tuck the excess cable into that and then attach the box nearby possibly? That should help prevent it getting snagged and damaged as easily as whatever might cause an issue would need to get through the actual cardboard box itself first. And if attached to the wall at a moderate height above the ground, not as easy to accidentally make contact with it and potentially cause a break and needing an engineer call out (although if you got the 1gb package, apparently the call out is free ever after; until policy change apparently if engineers are needed to be involved).

Thanks.

Completely forgot to reply to this:p

I'm on 500/500, so no free call out (just my luck 1gb only went on offer only after I was all installed and up and running.).

I just lobbed the excess in a box for now, will stop it getting snagged or crushed.

Might give community fibre a prod after Christmas, see if I can just swap it for a shorter SC APC to SC APC Simplex OS2 Singlemode cable, I know it unplugs as the internet stopped the other day (router needed a reboot) and got the community fibre troubleshooting page, which says you can unplug the cable from the ont and it's the same at both ends, so I assume it also just unplugs from the faceplate, just not sure if SC APC to SC APC Simplex OS2 Singlemode cable is the right type.

For now the box is keeping it safe enough.

Been with CF for quite some time now and it’s been rock solid, very impressed with the service so far.

Zero downtime and constant 1gb down/up.

Got this deal for 18 months for £25pm at the time, nothing else came close really.

Does the router have an app? Are you able to configure internet access times easily?
Yes, there's an App available for it. iOS or Android.

And yes, you can configure device access times to the Internet in the Parental Controls section of the router. fairly easy to do (on the web gui, not sure on app as I prefer the web page UI).

Last edited:
Somewhat regret not signing up during BF, £15pm for 300Mbps.

Do they do flash sales more than once a year?
Yeah, we've seen Spring, Easter, End of Summer, Black Friday, Christmas/New Year, and some other ones here and there as well that aren't up for any usual reason for a discount. So as long as you're covered by their service area, wait for a suitable/good deal and pounce on it. But you really must be decisive, you don't awlays get a second chance for a great deal.

Note however, that not all discounts for the broadband deals are the same. Always try to get the bundle/deal where you get ALL 12/24 months at discount price, as this means when your contract is up, even if it's not a 1/2 price discount, it only goes up by £2 of your last contract month; so if your last contract month was £25 for 1gb connection, your "out of contract" per month is £27. If you grab a "half your contract" at 1/3 price or 1/2 price, this means your out of contract price becomes your last contract month + £2, so the 1gb connection is usually £49, so this means your out of contract price is £49 + £2 or £51 as your last half of the contract goes back to normal price of £49. A big difference between the two.

So if possible, wait for a better deal is recommended, however, we also don't know if such deals with continue, as they may get altered at any time. So as always, choose the best deal for yourself at the time. If you can wait for a better one, do so. If you can't, then make the most of what you can get then.

Last edited:
Yeah, we've seen Spring, Easter, End of Summer, Black Friday, Christmas/New Year, and some other ones here and there as well that aren't up for any usual reason for a discount. So as long as you're covered by their service area, wait for a suitable/good deal and pounce on it. But you really must be decisive, you don't awlays get a second chance for a great deal.

Note however, that not all discounts for the broadband deals are the same. Always try to get the bundle/deal where you get ALL 12/24 months at discount price, as this means when your contract is up, even if it's not a 1/2 price discount, it only goes up by £2 of your last contract month; so if your last contract month was £25 for 1gb connection, your "out of contract" per month is £27. If you grab a "half your contract" at 1/3 price or 1/2 price, this means your out of contract price becomes your last contract month + £2, so the 1gb connection is usually £49, so this means your out of contract price is £49 + £2 or £51 as your last half of the contract goes back to normal price of £49. A big difference between the two.

So if possible, wait for a better deal is recommended, however, we also don't know if such deals with continue, as they may get altered at any time. So as always, choose the best deal for yourself at the time. If you can wait for a better one, do so. If you can't, then make the most of what you can get then.
I don't think these deals will last long as they are relatively new company and they are trying to entice more and more customers to join.

But I imagine that they will reduce some of the packages base price a bit lower

I don't think these deals will last long as they are relatively new company and they are trying to entice more and more customers to join.

But I imagine that they will reduce some of the packages base price a bit lower
Agree. Especially if the discount option for new customers to be dropped rule is deployed and enforced later on (OFCOM was it? Can't remember).

There's a few models that are in service that you'll be given one of depending on what package you get. All current ones are Linksys variety, the 1gb package one that I have is the Linksys Velop MX4200 triband mesh wifi6 router. I believe those in the mid band ones get the wifi5 version. And those on the lowest package get the dual band wifi5 version.

Hi, i finally got community fibre installed!!!
However, i have two devices? a modem and a router.

I thought it would just be one device and that i could simply plug the wire that comes directly from the fibre outside to my MikroTik RB5009 router.

How can i connect my MikroTik RB5009 directly to the internet fibre connection ?

Here are some pics below:

PXL_20230222_094810146 by Jon Richy, on Flickr

PXL_20230222_094816458 by Jon Richy, on Flickr

PXL_20230222_095226155 by Jon Richy, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom