Comp test cars before buying? What is an immaculate car?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Not something I've paid someone to do, or done myself on a car I'm looking to buy. I'd discuss it with the seller and see if they're happy for you to do that

Soldato
Depends what the car is, if its an RX7 then 100% yes.

Is it known for having issues with low compression? I'd personally bring my own gauge and tools to remove the spark plugs and do it myself assuming it's a fairly easy job to get to them.

Soldato
I once sold a car to someone who did a comp test, I had no issues with them doing it. I mean if they don’t want you to do it, you could always ask them to do it whilst you watch? Pay a garage?

Associate
If you're paying top dollar for something it would probably be beneficial to do whatever tests needed to make you more comfortable paying that! Unsure if any of the services offered by AA, RAC etc to check used cars will include a compression test, but if they do it may be worthwhile stumping up for it to ensure you aren't buying a lemon!

If i were selling something for the top end of what it was worth, even more than most go for, i'd expect people to want to check that it's worth that much!

Soldato
Ask the seller, not the internet. That being said, its bot uncommon to do pre-purchase inspections, so I see no reason that couldn't be extended to compression testing.

Caporegime
Its an mr2 turbo so not renowned for comp loss but at the same time I'm paying top end.

Just take a spark plug tool, comp tester and a wrench and ask them. I am sure if they have nothing to hide they will have no problem but at the same time don't make them think you are a tyre kicker :p

Also pull the dipstick and give it a rev. If you get smoke out the dipstick that's a tell tale sign of ringlands on the 3SGTE. Although MR2's generally fare better as they have a lot more coolant as standard when compared to a GT-Four.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just take a spark plug tool, comp tester and a wrench and ask them. I am sure if they have nothing to hide they will have no problem but at the same time don't make them think you are a tyre kicker :p

Also pull the dipstick and give it a rev. If you get smoke out the dipstick that's a tell tale sign of ringlands on the 3SGTE. Although MR2's generally fare better as they have a lot more coolant as standard when compared to a GT-Four.

Thanks I hope he knows I'm not a tyre kicker I already paid him £100 deposit ha

Associate

My MR2 disagrees with that :( :D

Associate
What happens if you snap a spark plug in the head while removing it? Or a thread strips etc?

Unlikely I know but if it's a cheap plug that's been in too long or over tightened it's a possibility. Do you buy the car/pay for the repairs or just walk away?

Man of Honour
What happens if you snap a spark plug in the head while removing it? Or a thread strips etc?

Unlikely I know but if it's a cheap plug that's been in too long or over tightened it's a possibility. Do you buy the car/pay for the repairs or just walk away?
As a seller I also wouldn't particularly want some random coming in and taking tools to something they haven't bought yet as you've got no idea if they have any clue about what they're doing or if they just got some instructions from a mate and they're hoping it all goes to plan.

Man of Honour
A 1996 car worth £9k is likely owned by an enthusiast for that model. They would probably be happy for a new owner to perform reasonable checks. I own a 1994 car and help run an owners club. I would be happy for someone to compression test it if they appeared to also be a genuine buyer and enthusiast.

EDIT: I would probably prefer them to get a professional mechanic to do it though, not just rock up with their own tools.

Soldato
As a seller I also wouldn't particularly want some random coming in and taking tools to something they haven't bought yet as you've got no idea if they have any clue about what they're doing or if they just got some instructions from a mate and they're hoping it all goes to plan.

Yea 100%, where does the liability stand?

Unless you take cash first, under the agreement that if it's damaged it's sold.

I'd put that signed by both parties in writing first.

Man of Honour
If they wanted to get a proper mechanic who will have the insurance to cover themselves then I'd be happy for them to check whatever they liked but doing it themselves with no comeback if they then trash it, no thank you.

Permabanned
A 1996 car worth £9k is likely owned by an enthusiast for that model. They would probably be happy for a new owner to perform reasonable checks. I own a 1994 car and help run an owners club. I would be happy for someone to compression test it if they appeared to also be a genuine buyer and enthusiast.

EDIT: I would probably prefer them to get a professional mechanic to do it though, not just rock up with their own tools.

Yeah no I'm going to leave this one there a sparkplug threaded in there :D

Back
Top Bottom