Completed Website

Associate
EDIT : I designed the website using an iframe and it was giving people problems so i redesigned it using PHP

Hi,

I have just completed my girlfriends art website and would like some constructive comments maybe from any web designers who are one these forums.

I used to design menus for DVD's and work a lot in after effects and photoshop so web design is not my forte. I might be looking to drift into this area of work and I have learnt a lot from this project. I probably have done some weird things in the programming of the site, which i will only learn to do better with practice and time.

the site is

kanemi.info

Thanks

Tim

Last edited:
Associate
I like the site - only thing I would say is instead of the Japanese / English text as a language changer try small flag icons.

I know they are not everyones cup of tea, but I think it looks better than having different characters across the top.

Soldato
The content isn't loading in Firefox for me.

11-10-200818-40-17.png

Last edited:
Soldato
"Sending Email via slick AJAX. Hold on just a sec…"

That message is totally not needed for a contact form imo. It also let me send a message with a character in each field???????It also seems weird that only the drop down parts of the menu are clickable too.Really liked the use of flash on the fromntpage though.

Soldato
Aye iframes are not good :0)

You should just be able to use divs for the content I would have thought? This would also make the page size tractable if you wanted to add further information later (as the divs will expand with the content)

Some minor things for me:

- I don't think you should indent the first line of each paragraph
- The menu hovers could use some more contrast I feel, but this is maybe more personal preference.

If the artist is quite active in the art world it could also be good to have the front page having the latest news/updates. I.E if her work is in an exhibition there could be an artlce on it.

I DO like the flash on the first page, and the image viewing mechanism is good (my friend uses a similar style on his photography site)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback its a big help.

The main problem is the content not loading for certain people would that be the iFrame issue? i will look into to it.

Eulogy - My reason for using an iframe is i thought it would be a tidy way of calling the wanted HTML page into the iframe space. So if i got rid of the iframe i would have to put the menu bar on every single page and load it eveytime i click to another location? or can I just use a div and get the html page to display in that? i will go off and research this area.

I agree as well that having a news section on the frontpage would be good, it was something i was thinking of while designing the site. i will consider trying to implement it in the future.

suarve - I agree about the message thing, will look into removing it. I see you point about the contact form, i could end up with having lots of spam email maybe. The menu problem of not being able to have the top level as a link is partly down to the tutourial i used, it appears that some other people were wanting to be able to have the top level clickable but it appears no one has come up with a solution (although i have found a slightly other way of doing it for maybe future websites to solve this problem)

malef!c - i will consider your advice about the flags. thanks

some of you have mentioned the flash on the frontpage, I actually used a tutorial that made it in javascript, so its javascript not flash. Now it could be a problem if people have javascript disabled...how common is that though.

once again thanks for the feedback it's very helpful.

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback its a big help.

Eulogy - My reason for using an iframe is i thought it would be a tidy way of calling the wanted HTML page into the iframe space. So if i got rid of the iframe i would have to put the menu bar on every single page and load it eveytime i click to another location? or can I just use a div and get the html page to display in that? i will go off and research this area.

Tim

php includes is what you want, will help if it is needed as it takes literally seconds to add

Associate
OP
i did start tryng to do it with using javascript, but i think i will look into the includes stuff tomorrow.

ugatennis08 - do you mean the text on the left hand side or the signiture on the gfx? if the text on the left its just normal arial that i have used. what would you suggest?

Eulogy & Mammalian - thanks for the link. i will give it a bash and see how i go, will come back with questions if i run into trouble.

once again cheers all

Tim

Associate
OP
Hi,

Been trying to get my head round these includes all day searching for some tutourials found a few but what appears to seem quite straight forward turns into a bit taxing, as it starts saying stuf about changing my webpages to .PHP or .SHTML Mammalian do you have any examples or tutourials you could post so i could have a look at? ( i did find a page last night but didnt cant remember what site it was on)

Using PHP includes does look quite interesting, although i did find a method HERE using AJAX i did a test and got it working, but it was messing up my CSS which i would have to sort out just by following the tutourial better.

now what are the advantages of using the PHP method over the AJAX method? or is one better than the other in the long run?

bitterSTAR - I agree and it is probs something i will implement, cheers for the feed back.

thanks again all

Tim

php is better as ajax requires javascript which people can disable, however people can't disable php as it's done on the server and not the users end. however php could possibly not be supported by whoever hosts your files though i'm sure it most likely is as the company would be stupid not to.

also the trouble with using php is that you'll have to install something like xampp (google it) which although isn't too hard is something else that you need to learn and you may end up overloading your brain. you'll probably one day end up needing to use php so you'll have to install xampp one day or later so might as well now if you think you can do it. we are always here to help if you get stuck.

you'll need to change atleast one file to php which is the file the user is viewing, or you can change the server to treat html files as php which i forget how to do but many others here will remember, it's again very easy.

then'll you'll need something like this added to the main page replacing the iframe with it:

Code:
<?php 
$page = $_GET['page'];
include($page'.html');
?>

then set the links that change the page to be the name of the page required, so when user clicks email, the link is:

Code:
<a href="index.php?page=email">Email</a>

each link change only page='this bit here'

you'll most likely have problems with this but hopefulyl should be quick and easy to fix :)

Back
Top Bottom