CompTIA A+

Soldato
Hi all

As some of you may know ive been having a really bad few months at work with managers and not enjoying my job that ive been in for 6 years but seems to be going nowhere... Ive been told by a fellow forum member to look into CompTIA as I'm really wanting to work with computers mostly building and understanding the components... has anyone on here had any experience of these courses...

Any information would be great...

*Prices
*Timescale
*What happens after I pass etc

Thanks

Caporegime
This isn't my area but I thought this link might be helpful for you:

http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-901/comptia-220-900-course/

I think with this sort of thing in general the free resources (and perhaps ordering a second hand book from amazon) ought to be sufficient - training courses are often a rip off and perhaps not really worth it unless paid for by your employer - at least that is my perception.

Soldato
OP
This isn't my area but I thought this link might be helpful for you:

http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-901/comptia-220-900-course/

I think with this sort of thing in general the free resources (and perhaps ordering a second hand book from amazon) ought to be sufficient - training courses are often a rip off and perhaps not really worth it unless paid for by your employer - at least that is my perception.

Thanks for the link.. so you think the best way to do this sort of thing is to teach myself so to speak and just pay the exam fee when the time is right and I feel ready

Caporegime
Thanks for the link.. so you think the best way to do this sort of thing is to teach myself so to speak and just pay the exam fee when the time is right and I feel ready

I guess it depends on you to some extent - I'd assume for most people it would be. Perhaps if you have trouble concentrating then tuition might be worthwhile or perhaps if you really do need someone to bounce questions off etc..

(though this isn't my area, I was just making a more general comment about certificates, others might have different views about the value of training courses)

Soldato
Self study in your own time and pay for the exams yourself.

When you are ready book grab your exam vouchers from here http://www.gracetechsolutions.com/

My friend is in the same position as you, after he saw what I was doing. That gave him the ambition to self study for Network+ and move onto Security+ to get out of his low paid office job.

Soldato
OP
Self study in your own time and pay for the exams yourself.

When you are ready book grab your exam vouchers from here http://www.gracetechsolutions.com/

My friend is in the same position as you, after he saw what I was doing. That gave him the ambition to self study for Network+ and move onto Security+ to get out of his low paid office job.

Thanks for the link and info bud... I will definitely use this

Self study using courses like dowie has provided and PDF versions of books are available at no cost if you look hard enough

A+ is a doddle and shouldn't require a great deal of effort unless you're a complete novice.

Do you know of any books that are ideal that I could download/purchase, if not its ok I'll look into it more... I'm New to building computers myself but I have learnt a lot of new things just from being on this forum so I have a fair bit of knowledge that will help towards this Exam...

Soldato
Do you know of any books that are ideal that I could download/purchase, if not its ok I'll look into it more... I'm New to building computers myself but I have learnt a lot of new things just from being on this forum so I have a fair bit of knowledge that will help towards this Exam...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Comp...UTF8&qid=1498600313&sr=8-1&keywords=comptia+a

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Ce...UTF8&qid=1498600313&sr=8-3&keywords=comptia+a

Both have got good reviews

Soldato
You are a top man, Thank you :D

I have the book on the link at the top and it's a very comprehensive book that covers everything you need to know, depending on what you want to do with it will depend on what you want to do, to get the cert you have to pass both the 901 and 902 exams, the 901 covers hardware, Printers and Networking mainly, and 902 is more OS based.

I managed to get a 1st line support job without having my A+ and no professional IT experience, but this was phone based remote so little to no involvement in hardware, I would look at the resources and learn the stuff, but have a look at what sort of jobs you are after and see if they want you to have the A+ or if the knowledge you can pick up from working through the course is enough as if you purely want to go into PC building much of it may not be directly applicable.

I would not even consider paying for a course until you get up to where you need lab time (and if you can't build a home lab) as that can be something you can't do on your own without the hardware.

iirc the exams are approx £120 each i believe.

Soldato
OP
I have the book on the link at the top and it's a very comprehensive book that covers everything you need to know, depending on what you want to do with it will depend on what you want to do, to get the cert you have to pass both the 901 and 902 exams, the 901 covers hardware, Printers and Networking mainly, and 902 is more OS based.

I managed to get a 1st line support job without having my A+ and no professional IT experience, but this was phone based remote so little to no involvement in hardware, I would look at the resources and learn the stuff, but have a look at what sort of jobs you are after and see if they want you to have the A+ or if the knowledge you can pick up from working through the course is enough as if you purely want to go into PC building much of it may not be directly applicable.

I would not even consider paying for a course until you get up to where you need lab time (and if you can't build a home lab) as that can be something you can't do on your own without the hardware.

iirc the exams are approx £120 each i believe.

What I really would like to do is work on/with computers but mainly IT Engineering... I was thinking of getting the book tomorrow.. My work mate told me today his brother works with or for Linux developing for them and done the Network and security CompTIA part which would maybe be a step I'd like to take in the future and progress...

Soldato
Did it years ago at college, exam maybe £50-100, can't remember. Is it useful, yes and no. Pretty basic stuff but there is a bit to learn so more memory work to remember it all. Lot of fiddling with various windows settings, bit of networking and a bit of PC building. Would I recommended it, yes and no, if your very new to the scene then yes as a primer. The A+ does seem to be quite well thought of in the IT world though and could progress onto a CCNA or Windows cert after it.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Quick update guys...

Been watching a lot of Professor Messer and taking notes... Got to say ive learnt so much over the last few weeks and feel like I really am getting somewhere.. Still a lot of studying to do but I'll get there...

It's a good thing I have my own PC in the room so I can look at that and pause the video to look at the parts he's talking about and get a better understanding..

Thanks to everyone that recommended this for me... I'm actually really enjoying my spare time now...

Happy bunny :D

Back
Top Bottom