CompTIA A+

Soldato
OP
So I've been watching a lot of videos on Comptia and reading through my book taking notes and I've learnt a lot so far... Looking good to be taking my exams soon enough...

This is going to sound like a dumb question but where's best to look for jobs, Internet job sites or going into places...

I want to start a career in Computer technician/engineer and then progress to better things like Network and security

Soldato
So I've been watching a lot of videos on Comptia and reading through my book taking notes and I've learnt a lot so far... Looking good to be taking my exams soon enough...

This is going to sound like a dumb question but where's best to look for jobs, Internet job sites or going into places...

I want to start a career in Computer technician/engineer and then progress to better things like Network and security

Apparently LinkedIn is the best place for job searching now.

Soldato
a lot of the months and closest test centres don't seem to have slots :( Apparently you can do it online if you have a webcam set up... Anybody done it this way

Brother in law did one of these. He logged in and some person at the other end asked him to use the camera to show him his surroundings / desk / under desk o check he didn't have abook on his lap or something then left him to do the test whilst keeping an eye on him remotely

Soldato
OP
Brother in law did one of these. He logged in and some person at the other end asked him to use the camera to show him his surroundings / desk / under desk o check he didn't have abook on his lap or something then left him to do the test whilst keeping an eye on him remotely

I may have to do it this way then, I did wonder how they done it over internet... I've looked at all the test centres in Bristol, Bath and Gloucester and they all have no bookings :(

Caporegime
If you're able to do them at home then why even bother trying to book a test centre - unless you like wasting time on pointless journeys?

Associate
I was definitely considering it, will get a webcam and do it that way... may be my best bet

Can I get an update on your progress please? I just can across this thread and I am interested to see how you got on?

My nearest test centre is £100 miles away and I am looking to book my exam in the next week or so!

More importantly how did it all go?

Associate
I read the A+ study guide over two years ago and managed to get a junior IT Tech job, completing the exam got me higher paying jobs as a 1st line, evetually moving into 2nd line. I finished N+ a few weeks ago, as I was studying that and just wanted to pass it and be done with CompTIA now.

CompTIA definitely helps build your confidence to begin with, but once you're in, you should focus on the on-the-job experience and eventually vendor specific certs, such as Cisco, AWS, Microsoft etc, if you want to climb higher and command higher salaries.

Associate
I was definitely considering it, will get a webcam and do it that way... may be my best bet

I’m away to do my 901 and I asked the question, apparently it’s only being trialed in the US and not available in the UK as of yet. I have a 100 mile treck to my nearest centre. Be fun as I will have to make 5 trips!

I read the A+ study guide over two years ago and managed to get a junior IT Tech job, completing the exam got me higher paying jobs as a 1st line, evetually moving into 2nd line. I finished N+ a few weeks ago, as I was studying that and just wanted to pass it and be done with CompTIA now.

CompTIA definitely helps build your confidence to begin with, but once you're in, you should focus on the on-the-job experience and eventually vendor specific certs, such as Cisco, AWS, Microsoft etc, if you want to climb higher and command higher salaries.

I’m doing my a+,network+, and security+. I also have enrolled in th CEH for after. I’m hoping this puts me in a good position for a career change, then I can take a look more at the on the job side of things

Back
Top Bottom