Computer freezes then won't boot

Associate
So out of the blue my Computer froze and I had to force turn it off. It would then take around 15 turn ons for it to actually boot. It can run again for a few hours or minutes and freeze again. And I would repeat what I did before. During this time I would v
Sometimes but rarely get a dcp watchdog or clock watchdog bsod. I have ran it in safe mode a few times and today it actually froze whilst in safe mode which is very worrying. I have set the bios to default but it made no difference. I uninstalled my gpu driver. Updated my ide/sata drivers in device manager. To no avail. The fans and lights on the mobo are on when I try booting but no signal to the monitor. It is killing me turning off and on the machine till it decides to boot. And run for a few mins.
What do you think could be the problem? BTW the cpu is at a steady 30 degrees.

Associate
OP
It's a 2 month old build all parts bought from here and it has been running fine all that time. The only thing I've done differently is play runescape lol.

I checked the mobo booklet and the mobo has four lights for cpu dram vga and boot. If any are on it means they are not working normally.

My vga light is on. I took my 1080 ti. Out the case so it would use my cpu,'s dedicated graphics which has worked in the past. But the vga light still shows up. I also tried my gpu in another pci slot which didn't work either.

It seems to be getting worse and worse I've not been able to get to the boot screen for an hour now.

i removed my gpu, my m.2 ssd and tried booting, it comes up with the same light saying its the vga. lols...

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Lol whatever you say genius.

The manufacturers website said minimum requirement is 600w so you have 50w headroom if any at all.

It's a forum if I have a valid point I'm going to mention it whether you like it or not so just be quiet buddy :)

Soldato
The 2600x does not have an onboard graphics solution, (whatever ports are supplied on the motherboard). It appears to me that the motherboard is right and it is VGA related.

Try another cheap card or beg, borrow from another machine.

Try in another slot or reseat it.

Check the power cables output for the VGA.

Try another port on the card and check all cabling.

Soldato
So out of the blue my Computer froze and I had to force turn it off. It would then take around 15 turn ons for it to actually boot. It can run again for a few hours or minutes and freeze again. And I would repeat what I did before. During this time I would v
Sometimes but rarely get a dcp watchdog or clock watchdog bsod. I have ran it in safe mode a few times and today it actually froze whilst in safe mode which is very worrying. I have set the bios to default but it made no difference. I uninstalled my gpu driver. Updated my ide/sata drivers in device manager. To no avail. The fans and lights on the mobo are on when I try booting but no signal to the monitor. It is killing me turning off and on the machine till it decides to boot. And run for a few mins.
What do you think could be the problem? BTW the cpu is at a steady 30 degrees.

open RMA ticket with OCUK, you also have option going direct to Gigabyte but try OCUK first. also Gigabyte reps on here for back-up if needs be

whisper Gold unit, if it is that should be fine for the system, Tier one PSU if i can remember

aorus card also has LED lights on the power sockets, check to see these as they indicate if power is getting to the card

also possibility of the Mobo , did you happen to see what Bios version your on ?

know you had the Aorus 5 but bios version for 7 included VGA compatibility tweaks , so agai worth checking your on latest

Associate
OP
BIOS VERSION F2.

annnnd the lights and fan are on the gpu when i turn machine on.

these fixes dont really explain why it would all of a sudden fail.

I rushed before other comments and ordered another psu 800W oh well , i will return it if its not the problem.

Associate
OP
i checked all pci slots and all slots on the GPU. tried hdmi and the others. i tried a different (working ) monitor all to no avail.

while running rs it did make blurry colours through the screen but then went back to normal. which sounds like a VGA problem.

I dont get why it would fail after only 2 months and not beforehand. i unfortunatly dont have a another pc to plug my GPU in to. I will try it all again when i get back from work. MAking sure everything is in place and secure.

cheers

Associate
BIOS VERSION F2.

annnnd the lights and fan are on the gpu when i turn machine on.

these fixes dont really explain why it would all of a sudden fail.

I rushed before other comments and ordered another psu 800W oh well , i will return it if its not the problem.

Apologies if that is not the issue, there have been 3 or 4 threads very similar to this one and they have all resulted in the same problem, a PSU with not enough wattage.

Associate
OP
ive loaded my pc up (its worked this time) is there anything i can send like info or something to help diagnose the problem?#

from the reliability monitor :
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000010, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffd5817850f180, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\091718-5328-01.dmp. Report Id: 764e464b-423b-4cf5-ad28-6fef7a0e400c.

thats the clock watchdog, which relates to a cpu problem "The specified processor is not processing interrupts. Typically, this occurs when the processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked."

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol whatever you say genius.

The manufacturers website said minimum requirement is 600w so you have 50w headroom if any at all.

It's a forum if I have a valid point I'm going to mention it whether you like it or not so just be quiet buddy :)

No, I'm afraid it isn't a valid point. Have you done any actual research?

Have a read of this - https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/aorus-gtx-1080-ti-xtreme-edition,review-33896-4.html

Then this - https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/aorus-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/10/

And then this if you need more - https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/gigabyte_gtx1080_ti_aorus_review/23

Or maybe this? - https://www.kitguru.net/components/...us-gtx-1080-ti-xtreme-edition-11gb-review/14/

Oh and let's not forget that the PSU in question is a top level unit which should easily power the kit in question, assuming it's fault free. The OP also mentioned that he's tried the iGPU which would have worked had it been an underpowered PSU issue.

And lastly, personal insults aren't tolerated here so please keep your personal opinions of other members to yourself

Last edited:
Associate
And lastly, personal insults aren't tolerated here so please keep your personal opinions of other members to yourself

I don't recall insulting anyone I sarcastically called him a genius which is hardly name calling.

Whats with the favoritism?

He is allowed to drag me down and basically call me an idiot but I can't be annoyed or defend myself?

I joined this forum in hoping I could help people not for arguments so its either the same rules for everyone or I might as well delete my account because I'm not going to tolerate double standards.

Associate
OP
hmmmm so back to the fault guys? also guys,

I ran bf1 when i took it out of safe made(amazed it booted up) and it froze again. but then i restarted the pc a few times and once it booted, i left it idle with task manager running (for like 4 hours) and it hasnt froze yet.

So any idea? currently writing this message since then.

also i noticed on resource monitor my cpu "maximum Frequency " is always above 100%

So i changed my power plan and its now at a steady 50-80% frequency rather than 100 - 120% frequency. maybe this had something to do with the problems?

Last edited:
Soldato
hmmmm so back to the fault guys? also guys,

I ran bf1 when i took it out of safe made(amazed it booted up) and it froze again. but then i restarted the pc a few times and once it booted, i left it idle with task manager running (for like 4 hours) and it hasnt froze yet.

So any idea? currently writing this message since then.

also i noticed on resource monitor my cpu "maximum Frequency " is always above 100%

So i changed my power plan and its now at a steady 50-80% frequency rather than 100 - 120% frequency. maybe this had something to do with the problems?

Maybe if it was trying to automatically OC the processor without having the voltages required? But now you say all is at default settings. I would monitor it, see if it occurs again. However if it just running at idle, you have not resolved the VGA issue under load.

You can test the CPU issue by running prime or realbench. Then the GPU with Heaven 4 or similar

Back
Top Bottom