Computer freezes then won't boot

Associate
OP
so ran prime with no problems for like 2 hours, i also ran heaven4 twice with no problems. but when i finished the heaven4 i clicked the red x and just by closing it my pc froze.

i rebooted after like 10 attempts and now my pc has been on for 7 hours idle no freezes then i played abit of rs3 , now gone to work.

Changing the cpu frequency maximum/minimum has seemed to help a lot, as its freezing a lot less. well its only once since. but still have the problem of the pc not booting or restarting. takes like 5 - 20 attempts to turn on.

Last edited:
Soldato
whats your power plan in windows as well?

and also updated bios ?

+1 for updated bios and balanced power plan in Windows 10.

It may be useful to go into the bios and check a few things. Memory voltages, for 3200 C14 frequency and CAS, I use 1.38V but any set DDR4 voltages should be at least 1.35V on Ryzen IMO. At 3.6GHz all core setting on my 1700 Ryzen, I have fixed the CPU voltage at 1.25V. SOC voltage 1.1V. All others are stock defaults. I do not use LLC.

Just a few pointers, Ryzen 2xxx may be different.

It may also be worthwhile reseating the CMOS battery, or even replacing it with a new one. I had a duff one on my ASUS C6H when new and this cured a rebooting issue.

Associate
OP
i changed my power plan to balanced. whilst i changed my frequency threshold. It was originally on high performance.

but another kewl thing(i dont want to jump the gun) is ever since that new psu came and i replaced my other one, my pc actually restars and turns on first click. and not experienced any problems. but its deffinatly too soon to say.

so Thanks Big Frank lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Checking on the box rules out any issues with the case shorting the motherboard, also easier to work with in my experience.

I'd go through the usual troubleshooting steps:

1. Take out your CMOS battery for 10 minutes to reset all your BIOS settings
  2. MemTest64 to rule out any issues with your RAM
  3. Make sure you have no overclock on the CPU or the turbo is too aggressive
Could be the RAM, CPU or motherboard.

Associate
OP
just so you know yesterday i tried once to boot it and it did, but once i restarted it took another 4 or 5 times to get it to boot, then when i restarted it again it never booted after over 100 times trying.

After a full night n day leaving it alone, it booted first time i turned it on when i got home.
Just upgraded the bios , restarted pc (took 5 times to actually boot) now im back on it.

im guessing if i try to restart it again it wont come back on for another day lol

running memtest now seems to be doing fine. no errors been 15 mins.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Omg, so yeh I restarted and what do ya know it won't boot again. This time I wanted to look at my cpu so I took the cooler off, all pins are fine.

I tried booting it without the cooler on. It would just turn off after trying to start. The cpu was boiling hot. Didn't think just booting it would make it stupidly hot. Is that normal?

From reading up, it looks like that's normal lol.

Associate
OP
The reaper guy why have you crossed the gpu off the culprit list? That's literally what the mobo lights up on to be the problem.

And why are ppl assuming ram us the problem? Its past all tests with no errors and the mobo doesn't light up ram as the problem.

So gpu, ram and cpu have all done fine in the tests when the pc actually boots up to test it. The psu has been replaced so that rules that out.

Therefore I can only seeing it being a mobo fault. Agree? Or if not why?

Last edited:
Associate
I'd bread board it ontop of the mobo box with just cpu and 1 stick of ram. If it doesn't boot try swapping the stick of ram (assuming you have two sticks).

If this all fails it's most probably the board that's gone.

Associate
OP
OK, anyways tried a different gpu, booted normally then the same things happened again and it will no longer boot. I changed pci slots and it boots. Just freezes a lot tho so have to keep rebooting.

Overall it's the same damn problems. So far I have:-

formatted my drive added windows 10 genuine.
Taken the cmos battery out for 15 minutes. Bios is at default.
tried 1 stick of ram with no xmp profiles.
tried a different gpu.
Replaced the PSU with a 800W bronze.
Set power options to "balance"
ran in safe mode
Ran with the basic drivers none installed
Ran multiple test such as prime , heaven all came out fine.
Monitored temps which all look good.
Taken out of the case to see if the case was short circuiting anything.
Tried different plug sockets on the walls, to see if this was a problem
Had my gpu tested on a mates pc, all fine no problems.

Back
Top Bottom