Computer Science Degree - Worth it?

Associate
Hmmm. York is good, it's where I do my ComSci degree. It was the 4th best in the country (departmental) when I applied in 2007, with only Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial beating it.
It's slipped a little bit now, but it will have a brand new department in 2010 which should bump it back up to a top 5.

http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses.htm

They do offer a foundation year, so you might be able to take that first, with you not having A-level maths. ;)

I also do a 4-year CSSE at York, and would definitely recommend it (after switching from Oxford). Good uni, nice city, nice people so I would recommend looking into the foundation year and see whether it would be suitable.
Bear in mind that Computer Science != anything like web-dev...

Soldato
erm well that's kind of obvious don't you think and sort of misses the point I was making

My point was yours was irrelevant due to the reason I gave.

Many, many people go to 'lesser' unis and get great jobs in the field that they want, so I don't see how you can be so harsh to said unis.

Caporegime
yes so basically you've missed my point, it was a comment on the value of CS as a subject not a dig at 'lesser unis' as you put it.

my post was in reference to someone questioning why CS grads would go into other fields - the fact is like Maths and Physics - CS (taught as an academic subject*) demonstrates a decent level of intelligence and analytical ability and so is a highly sought after degree for employers.

The same does not apply to all degrees regardless of institution.

(*tends to be more vocational at an ex-poly which is OK if you're sticking to IT but my post was in reference to people going into other jobs after)

Last edited:
Associate
This might be completely wrong (and I'm going on hearsay) but I did hear that DBA/DB positions are the ones most likely to be done remotely in India or wherever. Any truth to this?

Associate
This might be completely wrong (and I'm going on hearsay) but I did hear that DBA/DB positions are the ones most likely to be done remotely in India or wherever. Any truth to this?

Software dev is outsources quite heavily too. I had a client who wanted me to work for £6 p/h as that's what he was getting in India. I said no.

Later in the year he returned to me, saying India had done a good job but the distance and lack of face to face meant that it wasn't quite what he wanted. So he then paid me a sensible rate to tailor it to his needs. What scared me was what had been done in India for £6 p/h was actually pretty good, all j2ee scalable stuff, and done in pretty quick time too.

I think us local folk need to push the face to face stuff, as that's really the only advantage we have being here. :D

Back
Top Bottom